Why Do I Suck On Ftp?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found that its much easier to recognize players on Stars over FTP simply because of the image feature, lots of players have memorable images and it helps me pinpoint who some of the solid regulars are and who isnt. I also think that the competition on Stars is tougher than on FTP.I'm like a small winner over a small sample size on FTP but am a decent winner on Stars with a decent sample size.My guess is that you just are running below expectation on FTP and at or above expectation on Stars. It'll probably even out over the next few hundred games for you imo.
Yeah, this is very true. Most of the time I recognize the image before I do the screen name. Looshle confuses me with his sometimes though and I mistake him for one of those Intellidonks.
Yeah, this is very true. Most of the time I recognize the image before I do the screen name. Looshle confuses me with his sometimes though and I mistake him for one of those Intellidonks.
Not much difference.

I think the structure on ftp is way better than stars.I think this means that the more skilled players (postflop especially) would do slightly better on FTP than Stars.but then again, stars has recently made their structures slower, and of course the 10/20 blind level on stars is almost non-existent on ftp, so wtf do i know?

I think the structure on ftp is way better than stars.I think this means that the more skilled players (postflop especially) would do slightly better on FTP than Stars.but then again, stars has recently made their structures slower, and of course the 10/20 blind level on stars is almost non-existent on ftp, so wtf do i know?
Like I mentioned before, from what I can tell the main difference is the antes later in the tournament, with FTP being higher. This wouldn't benefit post flop play, this would benefit players that are very active and pick up a lot of uncontested pots pf. On Stars the antes are smaller, especially in the higher buy ins/slow structure stuff, so there is less incentive to open a lot.Early in tournaments on both sites I don't see much of a difference in the structures, which is where most of the post flop play will occur.

The structure on ftp is way better than it is on stars. Stars benefits tighter players and reshoving becomes more important. FTP benefits more lag players. Obv good players should be changing their games based on table dynamics (i.e. sites) anyyways.Anyways, all of that is irrelevant because 120 days is a VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY small sample size and you are just running above expectation on stars and below on ftp (although id take a -5% roi).

Early in tournaments on both sites I don't see much of a difference in the structures, which is where most of the post flop play will occur.
I could be wrong but Im pretty sure the structure is way better on ftp regarding more levels and such
Like I mentioned before, from what I can tell the main difference is the antes later in the tournament, with FTP being higher.
true, but in the real world (wsop/wpt) the fulltilt ante structure is much more accurate than the stars. not many other tournaments on this planet have ante structures like stars, so your best off mastering the ante structure on FTP.another idea about fulltilt favoring the more skilled players is that i believe you see more hands per hour on ftp than stars.Due to:*shittier bet slider option on stars, which takes people longer to put their bet in.( no pot button, no way to just type in the bet numbers w/o having to click and delete the numbers in the box already. ftp has a highlight bet amount feature, where when it is your turn, you can just hit the numbers and enter and boom your done.)*longer time banks on stars.

open more pots on FTP.. 3 bet more pots on stars ( even tho everytime I 3 bet they 4 bet shove) .. I cant win on Stars, but have good results on FTP..If you tell me what you are doing on Stars ill tell you what im doing on FTP:)

open more pots on FTP.. 3 bet more pots on stars ( even tho everytime I 3 bet they 4 bet shove) .. I cant win on Stars, but have good results on FTP..If you tell me what you are doing on Stars ill tell you what im doing on FTP:)
Heh, on Stars I just try not to spew at all once I get semi deep, knowing that I'll be able to chip up by reshoving and taking pots without confrontations. By spew I mean opening with hands in ep/mp that can't stand up to any serious opposition. A lot of that is stack dependent though too; if i have the chips to spew, I still have a hard time not doing it lol. I've adjusted my cut off line for when I open normally and when I open shove to like 15-20 bbs, when in the past it was prob 10-15 bbs. Too often I was raising and getting 3 bet, and the nit in me likes to fold, so I took away the chance of folding by just open shoving earlier. :)I don't think I cbet on flop and turn enough on ftp, regardless of my hand. I've noticed I tend to check/fold oop too much. I think FTP players might flat a lot more, which is something I dislike, especially later on in tournaments. I am def more of a preflop player, so that is probably one of the reasons FTP gives me trouble. I think I should probably open w/ normal raises more late in tournaments instead of open shoving my shorter stack, because in general I think that strategy pays off more on Stars. People will call you lighter on Stars, so I think I get doubled up a lot more on there, which obviously enables me to more easily maneuver my way to the ft.Tyty for everyone's input.
The structure on ftp is way better than it is on stars. Stars benefits tighter players and reshoving becomes more important. FTP benefits more lag players. Obv good players should be changing their games based on table dynamics (i.e. sites) anyyways.Anyways, all of that is irrelevant because 120 days is a VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY small sample size and you are just running above expectation on stars and below on ftp (although id take a -5% roi).
Yeah I realize it isn't a huge sample size (although I've probably played more tournaments in the last 120 days then the whole year prior), but my struggles on ftp have been pretty much since it started. I just don't put myself in position to win very often. I need to get better at closing on all sites, but for some reason whatever I do late has always been more successful on stars then ftp. I do think there is a difference in the general playing style of the tournament players on both sites, so I just wanted people's opinions on what possible adjustments I could make.
I could be wrong but Im pretty sure the structure is way better on ftp regarding more levels and such
afaik, ftp is a whole lot better for lower buyins and smaller fields, since you take a bit longer to get to 100/200. stars uses a different structure for its bigger tourneys, though--i'm not sure if it's more levels or longer levels or what, but by the time you hit the end of the 2nd or 3rd hour, stars has caught up for the most part for the bigger buyins, and since their antes are smaller, it seems a little better for the mid to late stages.that said, i mostly play various non-HE tourneys, and since those don't get very large fields, ftp's structure absolutely annihilates stars for me, and that's been reflected in my respective ROIs there for the past 3-4 years.as to your discrepancy, ROI for the bigger fields has SO MUCH to do with big scores that unless you've got a large enough sample to have a fair amount of large scores on each, you really can't discern anything at all from your data.

Its funny you posted this at this time, because just 2 days ago I was playing the $200 turbo on full tilt and you were moved to my table, I recognized the name from a forum but didnt know where until i checked... anyways we were getting close to getting in the money or so, and just from observation on the hand you were eliminated on (if i recall correctly from a mental note), for what its worth, I think you pushed kind of light from early position, just imo, but wat do i know, im a MTT donk... Fwiw, didnt think you were a nit at all.. anyways that was really random just thought i would share :club:

Instead of memorizing who is who on each site, maybe just look once and note it?
+1

well playing on full tilt and hating stars, once very possible reason is you has less time, its much faster than slowstars and ur time banks are shorter that might be it. if your running bad just change ur avatar and u will run good

Its funny you posted this at this time, because just 2 days ago I was playing the $200 turbo on full tilt and you were moved to my table, I recognized the name from a forum but didnt know where until i checked... anyways we were getting close to getting in the money or so, and just from observation on the hand you were eliminated on (if i recall correctly from a mental note), for what its worth, I think you pushed kind of light from early position, just imo, but wat do i know, im a MTT donk... Fwiw, didnt think you were a nit at all.. anyways that was really random just thought i would share :club: +1
Yeah, I rarely play that tourney so I think I remember that hand. A9o or jto or something for like 12 bbs from ep. For some odd reason I have a lot more patience on Stars with a shortstack then I do on Ftp.I think I might have taken a really good player's advice to heart a little too much when I heard he shoves lighter on ftp from ep then stars because people are less likely to call.
Instead of memorizing who is who on each site, maybe just look once and note it?
Yeah, this is what I should do and will do I suppose. I have never been a big note taking guy, but I'd admit that probably is a mistake on my part.
afaik, ftp is a whole lot better for lower buyins and smaller fields, since you take a bit longer to get to 100/200. stars uses a different structure for its bigger tourneys, though--i'm not sure if it's more levels or longer levels or what, but by the time you hit the end of the 2nd or 3rd hour, stars has caught up for the most part for the bigger buyins, and since their antes are smaller, it seems a little better for the mid to late stages.that said, i mostly play various non-HE tourneys, and since those don't get very large fields, ftp's structure absolutely annihilates stars for me, and that's been reflected in my respective ROIs there for the past 3-4 years.as to your discrepancy, ROI for the bigger fields has SO MUCH to do with big scores that unless you've got a large enough sample to have a fair amount of large scores on each, you really can't discern anything at all from your data.
For non HE games, ftp's structure is waaaay better.

Doesn't FT allow datamining? And PS does not?So more likely random guys at FT can know more about your game and exploit that early? making it harder for you to chip up?

I'm pretty much the same way...have been "running" terrible in FT MTTs for years and done just fine in Stars MTTs. Interestingly, the opposite seems true for STTs.