What Are Your Day Jobs?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I forgot to answer. I lose peoples money at a much slower rate than they would lose it on their own.
You're the yin to my yang. I guess that makes us competitors.Perhaps someday I'll actually have a real job. Can't DJ forever, and this Econ degree is just gathering dust at the moment.
Thanks. My schooling is a waste :club: Shocker. And I know you aren't trying to insult me but it's going to come off that way however you say it and I understand that. I'm not planning on staying an extra semester and I'll live with what I can get. I do think it really depends on the situation though.
it's not your fault at all; i think it's a relatively universal problem with a lot of business schools having a profit motive and pushing those majors because they're easy to sell and seem cool. and it's not just you or your school. a friend of mine has a chemistry degree from rice and is finishing up an MBA from harvard this year and is finding it way harder to get into job interviews for decent business jobs than it is for his chemistry related ones. again, i'm not trying to bash you at all. people have told me they wish they knew exactly what i just told you while they were still in school.
Slapstick --- who do you work for and have we met? :club:
An iPoker site(a few but one big one) and no, we have definitely not met.Edit: I'll probably be at the Irish Open but thats about it for work travels in the near future
it's not your fault at all; i think it's a relatively universal problem with a lot of business schools having a profit motive and pushing those majors because they're easy to sell and seem cool. and it's not just you or your school. a friend of mine has a chemistry degree from rice and is finishing up an MBA from harvard this year and is finding it way harder to get into job interviews for decent business jobs than it is for his chemistry related ones. again, i'm not trying to bash you at all. people have told me they wish they knew exactly what i just told you while they were still in school.
Yeah I understand what you're saying and I've heard that it's hard to get a job with pretty much any major at this time. I'm really not too worried YET and I have a few connections as a back up if I cannot find something. Also, going back for a few more semesters is not something I'm going to do because it's a lot of money and I'd like to see how this plays out. I do appreciate the advice.
Still avoiding a job eh? If you never want to work why get another degree?
Go back to school = not getting a job, and I'm probably going to have to get a job at some point and when I do finally get a job will be able to get paid more = work less. Win win imo
senior at Carthage College, double majoring in business admin and marketing and am looking for a job, HIRE ME!
I'm actually more or less doing the same thing you are. I am currently in general management at my University and am thinking about switching to do a double major of marketing and human resources. I often worry about how a "general management" degree will look on resumes and stuff. Most of my friends at school say "you should at least specify or go into a specific degree so employers will think more of you". But then when I talk to management professors about what employers are actually looking for, they tell me "employers just want you to get the management degree and they will do the rest (training etc.). i will agree though that finance and accounting majors will more or less be handed jobs after graduation but I think if you have any sort of degree and you look hard enough you will find a good job.
I think if you have any sort of degree and you look hard enough you will find a good job.
Eventually yeah, and I agree

Hurry up and get those degrees, I have hired 4 college graduates so far and want to up my quotaAlthough one former employee is now in position of command authority for declaration of Defcon3 as his regular job, another designs mechanical engineering specs for airplane parts, and another designs fire sprinkler systems for large commercial buildings, and another is a math teacher. And another runs the engines on the USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier. And a current employeee is a graduate of the police academy.They all had their start working for me, a high school drop out

i mean this as genuine advice and not an insult, but those are viewed as relatively worthless majors in the business world. ad firms are laying the few people they hire off left and right, and unless you mean something like hospital or hotel specific management, no one is hiring people right out of college to manage anything without a familiarity of the skillset of the people you are going to manage. If you can stay on a semester or two and get at the very least a minor in something like finance, MIS, accounting, operations management, HR etc. you will be significantly more marketable.this is a conversation i have every so often with a friend in corporate recruiting for a pretty large corporation. companies are looking for people with specific skillsets that they can then later teach to run things. I went to school with plenty of guys with the same type of majors you have with very few job prospects and it hurts me to see so many people take this path. best of luck either way sir.
I see your point, but...
Meh, unless you are going to go into something specific (like accounting to do accounting) your degree is just a way to get your foot in the door. Very few people in the business world (aside from those specifics like accounting) do anything related to what they got their degree in. My degree is in Business Management and had no problems finding a job and moving up in my company ahead of probably a ton of people that had more "correct" degrees. I did quite a bit of hiring myself the last few years there and honestly, never even really paid attention to what someone's degree was in. Placement scores (Wonderlic, etc) and the interview were what made my decision.
I agree with this. Unless you are really smart/have a tremendous work ethic, my advice is always to just do something you enjoy in college. I mean, I worked hard enough and got my degree, but I'm in the "dime a dozen" category. Finance degree, didn't intern, 3.0 average. Did enough to pass, and not enough to really remember anything I learned.The reason you are having a hard time probably has much more to do with the job market and much less to do with your major. There's tons of people in this boat. Don't worry about getting something that you "needed" your degree for otherwise it was a "waste". Not true at all for a myriad of reasons.I did probably 50 interviews at my previous employer and barely glanced at the degree section on the resume. Might be important at some hotshot high paying job, or for something in a medical/engineering field, etc etc, but for most jobs it won't make much of a difference.
Yeah I understand what you're saying and I've heard that it's hard to get a job with pretty much any major at this time. I'm really not too worried YET and I have a few connections as a back up if I cannot find something. Also, going back for a few more semesters is not something I'm going to do because it's a lot of money and I'd like to see how this plays out. I do appreciate the advice.
Use them. All of them. Seriously, who you know is a billion times more important than what you know or your degree. One of the most successful guys (in the business world) that I graduated with has a poli sci degree and never even took a business class.Specific degrees can sometimes get you jobs (ie accounting), but right now, even that's not easy - my firm has laid many people off and more are expected. It's just a terrible time to be entering the work force. IMO it's not even a good time to be entering the work force with a finance degree. Just bad times all around...
Meh, unless you are going to go into something specific (like accounting to do accounting) your degree is just a way to get your foot in the door. Very few people in the business world (aside from those specifics like accounting) do anything related to what they got their degree in. My degree is in Business Management and had no problems finding a job and moving up in my company ahead of probably a ton of people that had more "correct" degrees. I did quite a bit of hiring myself the last few years there and honestly, never even really paid attention to what someone's degree was in. Placement scores (Wonderlic, etc) and the interview were what made my decision.
Just had to take the Wonderlic for the first time during a recent interview which eventually resulted in my being hired. What do you use as a cutoff score on the Wonderlic? Hajoca, the company I just got hired by, said they used a 27 as their cutoff which they said supposedly puts someone in the top 5 percentile. I did some research online (thank you Wikipedia) and saw that your IQ is supposed to be roughly measured by the equation: IQ = 2 x (Your Wonderlic score) + 60. Can you confirm or deny any of this?As for on topic, I just recently joined Hajoca's management development program. Hajoca is a HVAC and plumbing supply wholesaling company.

Theoretical phycisist. Still in the postdoc circuit, moving from one country to another every two years or so to do research. Hopefully, I'll be able to get tenure or at least a long-term position within the next two or three years.Also doing a bit of freelance science journalism on the side.

Just had to take the Wonderlic for the first time during a recent interview which eventually resulted in my being hired. What do you use as a cutoff score on the Wonderlic? Hajoca, the company I just got hired by, said they used a 27 as their cutoff which they said supposedly puts someone in the top 5 percentile. I did some research online (thank you Wikipedia) and saw that your IQ is supposed to be roughly measured by the equation: IQ = 2 x (Your Wonderlic score) + 60. Can you confirm or deny any of this?As for on topic, I just recently joined Hajoca's management development program. Hajoca is a HVAC and plumbing supply wholesaling company.
Our cutoff was 25. They wouldn't even send me resume's from HR that scored below that.I have never seen that formula but based on a general score for most of the IQ tests I have taken over the years and my Wonderlic score, that looks to be a decent formula.