$10nl 6-max, sitting with $22, no real read on villain, first time I've ever played with him. He seems competent. The only interaction we've had is c/fing to cbets. He has $30. The SB does call, which pleases me as he's a big time donk and the reason I'm sitting. Then he folds.:/Hero is dealt [ K :diamond: K :spade: ]Villain raises to $0.30Hero raises to $1.502 foldsSB calls $1.501 foldVillain calls $1.20Flop [ T :heart: 9 :heart: 5 :club: ]($4.60)2 checksHero bets $4SB foldsVillain calls $4Turn [ T :heart: 9 :heart: 5 :club: ] [6 :spade: ]($12.60)Villain bets $8Hero?I have $16.50 remaining

I am gonna give this a try:Based on villains stack size I would assume he knows what he is doing. One still should think he would have check-raised this kind of flop with a set. (Would he also c-raise here with a draw?) Every now and then I can see a drawing hand being played this way in which case NonZeroPossibilities approach "ship" makes the most sense.Let's just assume he will not open raise 87 and then call a reraise oop with the hand... then you should still be good most of the times...Let's also assume he would be dying to reraise you with AA pre...Then you should still be good most of the times...But it still feels akward to get in 200 BB with just one pair here and this is a point I also havent quite figured out for my own play.Put another way: if you call now, you will have basically payed a lot of BBs for a one pair hand.You are gonna hate a lot of river cards and might just be faced with a third bet of around 100BB from villain on the river on what will seem to be "safe" cards. Some these bets will be bluffs, some of them for value.So calling seems a bad idea. Because well.... is he really bluffin around 30% of the time here? Plus... if you call I can't see how you will get away from the hand at the river getting almost 4:1 but being behind just to often.Then again, you have very little left to make him fold his draws here--- if you put him all-in on the turn there will be 8.5 left for him to call a pot of (12.6+8+16.5=) 37 giving him just about the odds he needs with his drawing hands so you basically allow him to play nearly perfectly against your hand: he will fold his bluffs and snapp all other legit hands. Which could include. Suited Aces, suited hearts, QJ etc., his twopair hands and sets, He might even let go of QQ and JJ here because well what can Hero have based on his actions sofar??? (reraise pre, action on flop).For hero that means: he could be maximising his error by getting it in on this turn. It could be a very spewy bluff by villain... the question is: is it a bluff/semi-bluff often enough?Without further reads or notes I fold here.

I am gonna give this a try:Based on villains stack size I would assume he knows what he is doing. One still should think he would have check-raised this kind of flop with a set. (Would he also c-raise here with a draw?)
just have to stop you here cause this is a horrid assumption..

On this level... I ship it without thinking twice... You will loose some of them for sure, but I'd say this is +EV play on this level... And I know, I play this level all the time.

At these stakes, I feel this is JJ, AT, KT and QT or a draw enough to get it in on the turn.
If the read is the villain seems competent, I doubt he is calling 3bets oop with AT/KT/QT etc.The range of a competent player to call 3bets oop is pretty narrow I think.This is TT-QQ a lot imo. Possibly AhKh, but thats more likely to get shoved on the flop.
If the read is the villain seems competent, I doubt he is calling 3bets oop with AT/KT/QT etc.The range of a competent player to call 3bets oop is pretty narrow I think.This is TT-QQ a lot imo. Possibly AhKh, but thats more likely to get shoved on the flop.
I agree with this but I think we can't count out any flopped set either.

I was going to fold as soon as he led the turn, but then I thought (and this is how all close decisions should be made), I want to post this hand on FCP, and it's not as fun if I just say, "don't know what he had, I folded on the turn." So I shoved and lost to 99. IMO this is a laydown, 10nl or 100nl. I've done everything I can to represent a big pair (3-bet UTG+1 pf, pound a 3-way dry flop), and villain doesn't care at all. At 100 BBs we can instashove the turn. But 200+ on one pair given the way the hand's played? The only hand I thought I could beat was QQ, but then that doesn't make much sense because;Villain doesn't c/r flop or 4-bet pf because he's concerned with me having a bigger overpair (I'm a tight 3-bettor, especially in EP)But then he says **** it who cares and basically entices me to go all in on the turn?It's possible that he thinks QQ's the best hand, so he's being "tricky" OTF and on the turn, but I doubt it, and I don't think he's capable of turning his QQ into a bluff on the turn (or at least know that he's doing so)

I've got a small side question. Are Kings the new Jacks or something? All I see is threads with people getting in trouble with kings. Did a large group of people lost their balls playing Jacks and their new castrate status make them play like pussies.No offence to the op of course.

hey man I'm proud to have gone broke here (over 200 bbs) with a big overpair.at the least, this should get me some forum credibility / anti-nit status points, which we all know is far more important than actually winning money

I was going to fold as soon as he led the turn, but then I thought (and this is how all close decisions should be made), I want to post this hand on FCP, and it's not as fun if I just say, "don't know what he had, I folded on the turn." So I shoved and lost to 99.
absolutely right. it's very frustrating not to know the cards at the end. Which raises a different question entirely. do the conversations in forums tend to be about the big faceoff hands becayse we find out what people have. i'm relatively new to this forum so i may have missed other threads but theres not a lot of threads about really good play prflop where you steal blinds. they arent sexy but its a way to make consistent money and get luck out of the equation.as far as this hand, i think you held onto the pair for too long. force him to make a hard decision on the turn and if he calls you fold. but yes the anti-nit status is worth it, if you can afford it.