• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be at the gym, listening to it, and I'll just start laughing like a mad man, and feel self conscious, which only makes me laugh more.
I was just discussing with a friend the pros and cons of listening to Pilky on the subway. The pros being that it's unbelievably entertaining, the cons being mostly that you feel like an ass laughing out loud by yourself.

Some favorite Rockbusters below. I'm sure BigD knows Rockbusters. But for everybody else, here's a quote from Pilkipedia which explains them perfectly:

Rockbusters is a game conceived by Karl Pilkington that was played on both the Xfm radio show and the second series of podcasts.Despite its titular pun, the game has very little in common with Blockbusters. Karl gives clues [to a band or artist's name] that he considers to be cryptic but are in reality convoluted colloquialisms that often depend on the answer being mispronounced*. Steve once aptly referred to them as "craptic" clues. Along with the clues, Karl includes the initials of the answer.
*Karl's ridiculous accent is an important part of this game. Some of the clues are great though, like the first couple here.That army has got some well nice trenches. (DW) =

Dandy Warhols (dandy war holes)

I'll take that book to the toilet with me. (LR) =

Lou Reed

That garden tool isn't yours. Give it back. (ND) =

Nick Drake (nicked rake)

At the moment I'm in a river full of logs. (JT) =

Justin Timberlake

Most of them are less good, and actually require further explanation. Do you think your kid will get that strawberry for me? (WP) =

Wilson Picket (will son pick it?)

The Australian picks two blokes. (E) =

Eminem ('im and 'im)

Why are them Jamaican men swinging fish around their head? (DS) =

Detroit Spinners (de trout spinners)

That champagne belongs to the boxer's kid. (AM) =

Alison Moyet (Ali's son's Moët)

If there was a Jamaican fella on the Titanic, he might have screamed this. (CD) =

Chris DeBurgh (Christ, de berg!)

This vegetable started its life down under. (KO) =

Kelly Osbourne(cauli oz born)

ET's upset. What's up with him? (ME) =

Missy Elliot (missing Elliot)

That Jamaican fella doesn't want anything. (ND) =

Neil Diamond (nil demand)

Have watched the 2 episodes of the TV show and I think its great. Before the first episode, I didn't really know the story behind it, I just thought it was 3 guys talking, but then after reading about who Karl actually is, makes everything even funnier.

• 1 month later...

So has anybody else been watching The Ricky Gervais Show, starring Karl, on HBO? The animation is really great, which of course means that the show is really great too.

Gotta disagree with you on this one. I don't think it's good at all. Then again, it follows The Life And Times Of Tim which is the funniest shit I've seen on HBO in a long time. Gervais doesn't have a shot in hell of being as entertaining as that gem which very well may be tainting my sense of humor. I think the animation and cut away's actually distract from the show. It's possible I'd like it as a straight up radio program.

I feel weird posting that in a thread about the genius of Karl Pilkington. Guess I hadn't made my Debbie Downer quota for the day.

It's possible I'd like it as a straight up radio program.
Well for me, it's animations of conversations that I've already heard, often more than once. I can't say how I'd react to it without knowing it all already. The radio show is, as BigD said above, the greatest package of entertainment and hilarity that I've ever come across.Edit: Random diary quote:"Got some post delivered to me today. It was addressed to Mr Dilkington. It read 'Dear Mr K. Dilkington, You are one of our most valuable customers.' I put it in the bin."
  • 1 year later...

Season 2 of An Idiot Abroad has begun. I don't think HBO is broadcasting it yet (it's on the British HBO, basically), but it's on the internets. First episode was great, basically just more of the same (from season 1), but I can barely put into words how happy I am that this show exists. It's what every Pilkington fan dreamed of.

Season 2 of An Idiot Abroad has begun. I don't think HBO is broadcasting it yet (it's on the British HBO, basically), but it's on the internets. First episode was great, basically just more of the same (from season 1), but I can barely put into words how happy I am that this show exists. It's what every Pilkington fan dreamed of.
Thanks so much. I didn't realize a new season of it was starting. This made my day.work.7532200.1.sticker,220x200-pad,220x200,f8f8f8.karl-pilkington-the-humanzee-v1.png
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pilkipedia is great. They used to have all the old XFM radio shows (from before they did the podcasts) available for free download but I think they took them down. It's pretty much the funniest shit I've ever heard in my life though, and there's about 80+ hours of it or something. They can definitely be found elsewhere on the internet I'm sure.