Official Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
WTF !!!!!! Nate McClouth gone..........to the hated Braves.
I haven't been paying as much attention to the Pirates as I'd like (even if they stink) but talking with a guy that seemed to know what he was talking about he wasn't devastated by the trade. Now he's hoping they rid themselves of Sanchez, Wilson, and Adam Laroche. He seems to think the front office is starting to turn things in the right direction and they know they'll never be able to have a 100 million dollar payroll but they should be able to compete by building from within.Not that they haven't been trying that for the last 15 years or anything though.
I haven't been paying as much attention to the Pirates as I'd like (even if they stink) but talking with a guy that seemed to know what he was talking about he wasn't devastated by the trade. Now he's hoping they rid themselves of Sanchez, Wilson, and Adam Laroche. He seems to think the front office is starting to turn things in the right direction and they know they'll never be able to have a 100 million dollar payroll but they should be able to compete by building from within.Not that they haven't been trying that for the last 15 years or anything though.
The Pirates got three very good prospects in return for McClouth. He was batting 260ish with 9 homeruns which is not nearly as good as last year. The Pirates got the better end of the deal imo.

lol @ drafting ANOTHER "franchise catcher." Jesus christ, are we gonna try to win by ensuring we have every catcher in baseball?Way to draft a guy that most teams had going in the 2nd round, Huntington!

• 3 weeks later...

Googled it and couldn't find it, so I'm taking credit for this nickname. Andrew McClutchen! 16-31 with nners on base. We're still almost unwatchable, but Cutch is worth the price of admission alone. Clutch Cutch!

• 1 month later...

I have a question for pittsburgers. How tilted are you that you spent public funds on the new baseball stadium? wasn't the whole idea of a new stadium to make the pirates more profitable, so they could actually compete and hold onto their veteran players? This franchise is now officially the biggest joke in the majors.

I have a question for pittsburgers. How tilted are you that you spent public funds on the new baseball stadium?
Not at all.
wasn't the whole idea of a new stadium to make the pirates more profitable, so they could actually compete and hold onto their veteran players?
No.
Alderson has good stuff Pirates fans. You guys got the better end of that deal.
yeah i'm excited about himwe got good value for jack and ian snell. i mean jack was sick defensively but his bat has been slowly getting worse. snell is completely mental and has lost 5 mph on his fastball.these trades and all the young players will almost make me want to watch a game if not a few innings here and there. where as before i wouldn't even turn on the game.
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
http://www.sportspickle.com/might-have-hea...-pitcher-fourth
Pirates to bat pitcher fourthPirates manager John Russell announced today that he will bat the pitcher fourth in the lineup this year because "F--k it. Why not?" he said. Russell had been considering putting the pitcher in the eighth spot, but eventually decided fourth was the way to go as part of a drastic attempt to end Pittsburgh's 17-year string of losing seasons. As far as other changes, No. 9 hitter Ronny Cedeno will hold his bat upside-down, leadoff hitter Akinori Iwamura will be told to just "stand there and hope for a walk," and first baseman Jeff Clement will forfeit his at-bats to keep the games moving.
  • 3 weeks later...

After enduring 17 straight losing seasons is this the year the losing streak becomes an adult? They're 4-5 so far but all of their loses were by 6 runs or more. A team ERA of 7.38 certainly isn't going to get it done. McCutchen has started a little slow at the plate with a .247 average but being 2nd in the league in stolen bases is promising. Obviously it's waaaay to early to draw any conclusions but those are the things that stand out so far in my mind.I don't know why but I continue to be hopeful that some of the pieces of the puzzle are in place that are going to turn this franchise around.

After enduring 17 straight losing seasons is this the year the losing streak becomes an adult? They're 4-5 so far but all of their loses were by 6 runs or more. A team ERA of 7.38 certainly isn't going to get it done. McCutchen has started a little slow at the plate with a .247 average but being 2nd in the league in stolen bases is promising. Obviously it's waaaay to turn to draw any conclusions but those are the things that stand out so far.I don't know why but I continue to be hopeful that some of the pieces of the puzzle are in place that are going to turn this franchise around.
man, i don't know how the pirates still have any fans. good thing Pittsburgh is a great baseball town and has many loyal fans. you guys deserve to be winners again.
  • 2 weeks later...