Universal Health Care...

obviously I am talking about end of life costs that are passed on to taxpayers (if you want to spend money for two extra months have at it). Aren't a majority of people that age on Medicare?
Exactly -- the extent to which it is a problem is exactly the extent to which the government took over a previously private contractual agreement.Just a coincidence, though, if you ask the Democrats.
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think it's the #1 problem, but it's a huge, huge problem.The question is, how do we go forward and build a better system?As is standard, you take the high-flying ideological position, whereby

Exactly -- the extent to which it is a problem is exactly the extent to which the government took over a previously private contractual agreement.Just a coincidence, though, if you ask the Democrats.
If most of these people did not have medicare could they even get private insurance to cover end of life stuff? I dont think insurance companies make money by covering the elderly. I have been sick lately.....so in and out of doctor's offices. It's just me and old people every time.
If most of these people did not have medicare could they even get private insurance to cover end of life stuff? I dont think insurance companies make money by covering the elderly. I have been sick lately.....so in and out of doctor's offices. It's just me and the other old people every time.
Being a lawyer ages your soul at an exponationary rate....old man

My mother had a kidney transplant in her late 50'sShe passed away in her 60s'the thought of having to meet with some beaurocrat or have a blanket set of standards to decide what care I could get my mother makes my stomach turn.

If most of these people did not have medicare could they even get private insurance to cover end of life stuff? I dont think insurance companies make money by covering the elderly. I have been sick lately.....so in and out of doctor's offices. It's just me and old people every time.
In general, when people are given responsibility for their lives, the do things about it. When their future is in other people's hands, they become careless. As with most government programs, the transition from stupidity to reason is painful, and will have to be compensated for, but we don't really have an alternative. The government can no longer afford to support an aging population. The math isn't there. And we don't have the stomach to start euthanizing seniors in the interest of fiscal responsibility. That leaves personal responsibility as the only choice.
In general, when people are given responsibility for their lives, the do things about it. When their future is in other people's hands, they become careless. As with most government programs, the transition from stupidity to reason is painful, and will have to be compensated for, but we don't really have an alternative. The government can no longer afford to support an aging population. The math isn't there. And we don't have the stomach to start euthanizing seniors in the interest of fiscal responsibility. That leaves personal responsibility as the only choice.
the writing was on the wall for medicare from DAY FRIGGIN ONE.the math NEVER worked.it's utterly baffling. at least with social security, it was a pretty reasonable program for a while.
the writing was on the wall for medicare from DAY FRIGGIN ONE.the math NEVER worked.it's utterly baffling. at least with social security, it was a pretty reasonable program for a while.
Also baffling that no one is doing anything about it. How many people do you know that have been talking about medicare reform?
Also baffling that no one is doing anything about it. How many people do you know that have been talking about medicare reform?
kinda hard to talk about how badly one government run health care program is run when you're trying to turn the whole shebang over to them.
kinda hard to talk about how badly one government run health care program is run when you're trying to turn the whole shebang over to them.
Why? He mentioned how badly the post office is run a few times during this healthcare debate.

Apparently BHO thinks he is still a Senator. Now the White House is going to write their own bill and send it to Congress. What happened to debate and checks & balances? I thought the "old" Plan was his plan. Hasn't he been saying it was ready to pass? What needs his special touch to fix? Don't bills start in Congress and wind up on the President's desk? This is the height of BHO's Arrogance. I would think this could divide rather than unite the Parties, including cause a rift in the Democrat Party itself. Congress people on both sides of the asile will not like the President stepping in and saying: "Move aside, you can't do this right. I'll do it."The ultimate irony is that the man never actually sponsored a SINGLE BILL as a Senator that made it into Law.

Sources: White House drafting health care billPosted: September 4th, 2009 03:06 PM ETFrom CNN's Jessica Yellin and Gloria Borger CNN has learned that the White House is working to draft health care legislation.WASHINGTON (CNN) — CNN has learned that the White House is quietly working to draft health care legislation after allowing Congress to work on its own for months.Multiple sources close to the process tell CNN that while the plan is uncertain, they are preparing for the possibility they could deliver their own legislation to Capitol Hill sometime after the President Barack Obama's speech to a joint session of Congress Wednesday.As previously reported by CNN senior congressional correspondent Dana Bash and CNN senior White House correspondent Ed Henry, the so-called trigger option remains very much on the table.Under a 'trigger option', a new government-run health care plan would only go into effect if insurance companies fail to meet certain affordability standards with their own plans.Sources say the current thinking among administration officials is that the president will lay out a path to reform in his speech next week that the White House hopes can bridge the various differences in the competing proposals.Sources expect the president to emphasize the message: If Congress passes something now, it will serve as a foundation to pass further reform in the future.
Isn't that last part pretty much the definition of a "Slippery Slope"?
So now the White House is going to write their own bill and send it to Congress. WHat happened to debate and checks & balances? This is the height of BHO's Arrogance. I would think this could divide rather than unite the Parties, including cause a rift in the Democrat Party itself. Congress people on both sides of the asile will not like the President stepping in and saying: "Move aside, you can't do this right. I'll do it."Isn't that last part pretty much the definition of a "Slippery Slope"?
in fairness, Obama was just listening to Bob Dolehttp://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9082802603.htmland it really is not unusual for presidents to write their own bill. This does nothing to checks and balances. He can only offer the bill for consideration by Congress. Height of arrogance? puh-leeze. Why did conservatives go extra crazy today?Oh and people on both sides of the aisle cant get it right. They never can. That's why congress' approval rating has been in the toilet for years. If they don't like, they might try doing their jobs.
in fairness, Obama was just listening to Bob Dolehttp://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9082802603.htmland it really is not unusual for presidents to write their own bill. This does nothing to checks and balances. He can only offer the bill for consideration by Congress. Height of arrogance? puh-leeze. Why did conservatives go extra crazy today?Oh and people on both sides of the aisle cant get it right. They never can. That's why congress' approval rating has been in the toilet for years. If they don't like, they might try doing their jobs.
Whatever dude.So you really believe that this is can possibly lead to the bi-partisan solution BHO claims to desire? I do applaud him for taking a stated position rather than sitting back and sniping at other people's work. I just find it hypocritical that the man who promised open debate prior to any new legislation is going to take the unilateral move of writing his own bill.
Whatever dude.So you really believe that this is can possibly lead to the bi-partisan solution BHO claims to desire? I do applaud him for taking a stated position rather than sitting back and sniping at other people's work. I just find it hypocritical that the man who promised open debate prior to any new legislation is going to take the unilateral move of writing his own bill.
He gave them some time.....they seem to have hit an impasse.....he is trying to jumpstart the process again. If he writes a crappy bill, let's call him on it. But let the man try at least. I think we can all agree he can't possibly do worse than Congress has to this point.In fairness, that reference was to the speech in school thread where you were much fairer than others.
He gave them some time.....they seem to have hit an impasse.....he is trying to jumpstart the process again. If he writes a crappy bill, let's call him on it. But let the man try at least.In fairness, that reference was to the speech in school thread where you were much fairer than others.
Again, I do agree that at least he is taking a position. And I don't want to be one of those who just shout him down just because he takes the initiative to speak - so I will listen to and assess what he has to say. It just seems to me that he can take a position and make his point of view clearly known without giving the implication that Congress is incapable of getting it done. The arrogance and irony, to me, is his assumption that he is going to show them how it is done - even though he was never successful of sponsoring a single bill into law in his dozens of weeks as a Senator. It is very possible for this to backfire on him Politically within his own party if he doesn't encourage bipartisan Debate on this very important matter. This could become the "President's Bill" rather than Congress' Bill and it could die an orphan.
Again, I do agree that at least he is taking a position. And I don't want to be one of those who just shout him down just because he takes the initiative to speak - so I will listen to and assess what he has to say. It just seems to me that he can take a position and make his point of view clearly known without giving the implication that Congress is incapable of getting it done. The arrogance and irony, to me, is his assumption that he is going to show them how it is done - even though he was never successful of sponsoring a single bill into law in his dozens of weeks as a Senator. It is very possible for this to backfire on him Politically within his own party if he doesn't encourage bipartisan Debate on this very important matter. This could become the "President's Bill" rather than Congress' Bill and it could die an orphan.
sure it could backfire. it's a risk. but let's face the reality....he kinda has to do something if health care reform is important to him. Congress has been regressing not progressing on health care reform over the last few weeks.

lol at Dennis Miller tonight..."Pelosi tonight? holy cow, her face never moved! She looks like a walleye eying a baited hook.....like Yul Brenner in West World..."lmaoyeah, it's a cheap shot, but the gloves are all off now anyway so who gives a crap?and who among us can say anything good about Pelosi?

"Improving our health care system only works if everybody does their part."The last gasp of charltans everywhere trying to steal your money -- the plea to give up your own interests for the greater good. It's the most dangerous idea in history, and it's appalling that our president would say it publicly.

well, some people say that a society sometimes has to work together to make any kind of progress...

"Improving our health care system only works if everybody does their part."The last gasp of charltans everywhere trying to steal your money -- the plea to give up your own interests for the greater good. It's the most dangerous idea in history, and it's appalling that our president would say it publicly.
this is the most on point and valuable thing anyone will read on this forum
OBAMA: "The reforms I'm proposing would not apply to those who are here illegally." One congressman, South Carolina Republican Joe Wilson, shouted "You lie!" from his seat in the House chamber when Obama made this assertion. Wilson later apologized.THE FACTS: The facts back up Obama. The House version of the health care bill explicitly prohibits spending any federal money to help illegal immigrants get health care coverage. Illegal immigrants could buy private health insurance, as many do now, but wouldn't get tax subsidies to help them. Still, Republicans say there are not sufficient citizenship verification requirements to ensure illegal immigrants are excluded from benefits they are not due.
THE REAL FACTS:The legislation clearly says it will not fund illegal aliens BUT the legislation also prevents anyone from checking on the citizenship status of any person seeking healthcare. He is trying to have it both ways