Universal Health Care...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think it's the #1 problem, but it's a huge, huge problem.The question is, how do we go forward and build a better system?As is standard, you take the high-flying ideological position, whereby

Ahhh yes, the old Milton Friedman tack... Take all the laws on paper and stack them up to show how insanely bureaucratic we've become.

A compelling argument in the macro- when he's comparing generations of laws and how insane it got somewhere around the 1930's- but not very compelling when it comes to passing a massive new law to address a massive problem.

First off, you knew it would look like that because leftists are faggots who love bureaucracy on the basis of believing the more Rube Goldberg'ish their creation, the higher demonstration of their 'intellect'. Ironically enough, true genius (which lies in elegance) is often written off as 'simplistic' by the academic assholes. (I swear, 'academic minded' people are the greatest cancer civilization has ever known)

But really, it's a gigantic system with a lot of moving parts that has to integrate with the gigantic cocktrain of bueaucracy that this country has already become. Think that was going to be simple?

I can draft a health bill that's a lot shorter. Perhaps three or four sentences.

1. All Americans are entitled to free health care as a basic human right.

2. A flat tax will be levied on wages, fried chicken, video games, discretionary consumption and licensed attorneys to pay for it all.

3. End of life care will be capped, Right to Die with dignity is in full effect. If you want to prolong the inevitable, go ahead but the taxpayers aren't paying for it. You want out quick, here's the phenobarbital, on the house.

4. Anyone who doesn't like this plan is under arrest.

But I don't think the American public would accept that.

Ahhh yes, the old Milton Friedman tack... Take all the laws on paper and stack them up to show how insanely bureaucratic we've become.

A compelling argument in the macro- when he's comparing generations of laws and how insane it got somewhere around the 1930's- but not very compelling when it comes to passing a massive new law to address a massive problem.

First off, you knew it would look like that because leftists are faggots who love bureaucracy on the basis of believing the more Rube Goldberg'ish their creation, the higher demonstration of their 'intellect'. Ironically enough, true genius (which lies in elegance) is often written off as 'simplistic' by the academic assholes. (I swear, 'academic minded' people are the greatest cancer civilization has ever known)

But really, it's a gigantic system with a lot of moving parts that has to integrate with the gigantic cocktrain of bueaucracy that this country has already become. Think that was going to be simple?

I can draft a health bill that's a lot shorter. Perhaps three or four sentences.

1. All Americans are entitled to free health care as a basic human right.

2. A flat tax will be levied on wages, fried chicken, video games, discretionary consumption and licensed attorneys to pay for it all.

3. End of life care will be capped, Right to Die with dignity is in full effect. If you want to prolong the inevitable, go ahead but the taxpayers aren't paying for it. You want out quick, here's the phenobarbital, on the house.

4. Anyone who doesn't like this plan is under arrest.

But I don't think the American public would accept that.

Im surprisingly OK with all that, cept number 1. Unless the govt would make all education and training to become a doctor totally free. Why should anyone go into lifelong debt, pay rediculous insurance rates, give up ten years of life studying and training, just so some slacker with bad breath and an opium addiction can get free care.
  • 7 months later...

For those who are signing up for ObamaCare. Make sure you check out the Network before you sign up. Some Networks are inferior, don't want anyone to get a unexpected surprise.

Sure everyone is up to speed but just in case your not educate before signing up.

With the massive amount of people signing up this has been an amazing success. All the people who didn't have coverage but were anxiously awaiting it...the numbers are staggering - wait, what the - the web site hardly works? people aren't knocking down the doors to get in? cost went up? oh my god who could have seen this trainwreck coming...LOL

With the massive amount of people signing up this has been an amazing success. All the people who didn't have coverage but were anxiously awaiting it...the numbers are staggering - wait, what the - the web site hardly works? people aren't knocking down the doors to get in? cost went up? oh my god who could have seen this trainwreck coming...LOL

These type of racist rants are not welcome here.

It’s not quite time to freak out over Obamacare’s enrollment number

First, we can compare the rollout to that of the Massachusetts health care law, which had 123 enrollees sign up during the first month of coverage. That ended up accounting for 0.3 percent of first-year enrollment. If we tally up 40,000 enrollees in the federal marketplace --and another 49,000 in the state exchanges, as counted by consulting firm Avalere Health --that works out to about 1.2 percent of the 7 million people the Congressional Budget Office has projected will sign up on the exchange in 2014.

Massachusetts eventually saw a really big spike in enrollment right before the individual mandate kicked in. You can see that in this chart from the New England Journal of Medicine (which Adrianna McIntyre discusses in an aptly titled post, "This chart should be getting more attention.").chandragrubermcknight-500x336.png

We can also look at Medicaid enrollment, which has outpaced some observers' expectations. There have been at least 440,000 Medicaid enrollments so far, according to Avalere. That would put Medicaid about 5 percent toward a projected enrollment of 9 million in 2014.

the objective was to get people healthcare, affordable that they were going to pay for.... 9 million on medicaid is not a good thing

the objective was to get people healthcare, affordable that they were going to pay for.... 9 million on medicaid is not a good thing

Well, really the objective was to get people healthcare, period, so the Medicaid bump is encouraging, isn't it? People who were previously uninsured, now with access to basic medical support? Surely you can't be against that...?

All I know is I enrolled last month, and my premium went down about $40/month with the same coverage and deductibles.

I can vouch for this. I also signed up and my premiums went from 1500 a month to about 25. Im also entitltled to world class doctors, and free transportation to and from the hospital. All my opiates and viagara are unlimited and free. God bless you BHO, and your genius vision for our health.

I can vouch for this. I also signed up and my premiums went from 1500 a month to about 25. Im also entitltled to world class doctors, and free transportation to and from the hospital. All my opiates and viagara are unlimited and free. God bless you BHO, and your genius vision for our health.

You're a real weird guy.

Well, really the objective was to get people healthcare, period, so the Medicaid bump is encouraging, isn't it? People who were previously uninsured, now with access to basic medical support? Surely you can't be against that...?

the budget was for the bill was based off numbers that are starting in the wrong direction and moving worse, as some stated from the begining this is going to be an economic disaster. it is not a matter of what i am for or against - it is a matter of this program is a trainwreck and it is only going to get worse for everyone.

message to working poor and lower middle class - grab your ankles the government is coming to help you.

the budget was for the bill was based off numbers that are starting in the wrong direction and moving worse, as some stated from the begining this is going to be an economic disaster. it is not a matter of what i am for or against - it is a matter of this program is a trainwreck and it is only going to get worse for everyone.

message to working poor and lower middle class - grab your ankles the government is coming to help you.

I don't disagree that, so far, it looks like the ACA is unlikely to be a success, but not because more people that qualify for Medicaid are signing up for Medicaid. If you want to say the ACA is going to be an economic disaster, at least talk about why the ACA is going to be an economic disaster, instead of just randomly spouting nonsense about how Medicaid = bad.

What will the economic impact be if ACA enrollment is, say, 75% of the projection?

I don't disagree that, so far, it looks like the ACA is unlikely to be a success, but not because more people that qualify for Medicaid are signing up for Medicaid. If you want to say the ACA is going to be an economic disaster, at least talk about why the ACA is going to be an economic disaster, instead of just randomly spouting nonsense about how Medicaid = bad.

What will the economic impact be if ACA enrollment is, say, 75% of the projection?

Bob brought up the Medicaid numbers not me - i just said they they aren't good. the cost to pay for them in theory was to come from the new sign ups which aren't happening...it is going to be an economic disaster but that has been known for a long time for anyone willing to look at it with an open mind.

bottom line is IMO it only gets worse from here.

bottom line is IMO it only gets worse from here.

100% gets better. Like the launch of any gigantic system, there will be incredibly obnoxious hiccups and unintended consequences up front.

The whinging and squealing will be deafening. The opponents will say "SEE, I told you so!!".

Then, all the issues will be resolved, time will pass and not one single **** will be given about any of it.

You do realize the people who are most rooting for this thing to fail are the same people who believe that if we just deregulated all medicine that we could return to the days when Old Doc Brown made house calls and we paid him in live chickens?

This thing is going to take time. The judgement of history will be that Obama was very meaningful president to the net positive, this will be his crowning achievement. Book it. Also note I'm making this call in the midst of the exact thing we're talking about burning down around us. The context of ones prescience is important when it comes time to say I Told You So.

we are not going to agree on that, i feel very comfortable that our government will continue to **** it up, it will cost more, the rank and file people who have coverage today as part of a work benefit package will go down, consumers will be unhappy with it and the "rich" people will continue to buy what they want... outside of those issues i am sure it will be great.

we are not going to agree on that, i feel very comfortable that our government will continue to **** it up, it will cost more, the rank and file people who have coverage today as part of a work benefit package will go down, consumers will be unhappy with it and the "rich" people will continue to buy what they want... outside of those issues i am sure it will be great.

None of those things mean that it was unsuccessful or not of significant overall benefit. I guess if your metrics to judge the incredibly expensive and complex health care of 300 million people is that it is a failure if costs increase, corporations reduce their exposure, people find reason to complain about it and rich people get extra benefits, then you can expect to be in a position to call any reasonable attempt at it a failure.

The good part about this is time will definitely tell.

Eventually, at some point, I'll BTT this and say I told you so. Unfortunately it may take a while and Negreanu can't avoid AIDS forever so who knows if it will be kept open long enough for that to happen. If it is, though, I will definitely BTT this.

100% gets better. Like the launch of any gigantic system, there will be incredibly obnoxious hiccups and unintended consequences up front.

The whinging and squealing will be deafening. The opponents will say "SEE, I told you so!!".

Then, all the issues will be resolved, time will pass and not one single **** will be given about any of it.

You do realize the people who are most rooting for this thing to fail are the same people who believe that if we just deregulated all medicine that we could return to the days when Old Doc Brown made house calls and we paid him in live chickens?

This thing is going to take time. The judgement of history will be that Obama was very meaningful president to the net positive, this will be his crowning achievement. Book it. Also note I'm making this call in the midst of the exact thing we're talking about burning down around us. The context of ones prescience is important when it comes time to say I Told You So.

Maybe yes, prolly no. The worst part is yet to come, when the company exemption from the mandate expires, watch out

It’s not quite time to freak out over Obamacare’s enrollment number

First, we can compare the rollout to that of the Massachusetts health care law, which had 123 enrollees sign up during the first month of coverage. That ended up accounting for 0.3 percent of first-year enrollment. If we tally up 40,000 enrollees in the federal marketplace --and another 49,000 in the state exchanges, as counted by consulting firm Avalere Health --that works out to about 1.2 percent of the 7 million people the Congressional Budget Office has projected will sign up on the exchange in 2014.

Massachusetts eventually saw a really big spike in enrollment right before the individual mandate kicked in. You can see that in this chart from the New England Journal of Medicine (which Adrianna McIntyre discusses in an aptly titled post, "This chart should be getting more attention.").chandragrubermcknight-500x336.png

We can also look at Medicaid enrollment, which has outpaced some observers' expectations. There have been at least 440,000 Medicaid enrollments so far, according to Avalere. That would put Medicaid about 5 percent toward a projected enrollment of 9 million in 2014.

If I was a well to do Canadian, No way am I excited about Obamacare. Obamacare makes access to our healthcare tougher for you.. Please dont retaliate by nationalizing the syrup industry. Theres only so much aunt jemima I can take.