The Official Obama Scorecard Thread

LOL, you've tried getting answers to this before, to no avail. The truth is nobody knows for sure.I did see a comment lately that inflation favors those with lots of debt, so maybe you should go that route?
No thanks, we've almost got our debt paid off,lol. Not getting into that again. Fact is it favors those who use credit cards though. If you pay them off at the end of the month, chances are you'll be paying them off with dollars that are worth less than when you used them. So it does kind of favor those who use credit that way. However, if inflation gets too bad, the lenders will index the your debt to inflation so you'll actually be in a losing position since wages almost never keep up with the rate of inflation. So best to be long-term debt free if you can.
  • Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

President Obama ordered the cabinet to cut $100,000,000.00 ($100 million) from the $3,500,000,000,000.00 ($3.5 trillion) federal budget.   I'm so impressed by this sacrifice that I have decided to

No thanks, we've almost got our debt paid off,lol. Not getting into that again. Fact is it favors those who use credit cards though. If you pay them off at the end of the month, chances are you'll be paying them off with dollars that are worth less than when you used them. So it does kind of favor those who use credit that way. However, if inflation gets too bad, the lenders will index the your debt to inflation so you'll actually be in a losing position since wages almost never keep up with the rate of inflation. So best to be long-term debt free if you can.
I'm quite okay with having some debt in the next 2-3 years. the interest is a tax credit and inflation will eat away nicely at the principle. I might keep my student loans longer if inflation stays high for a while.borrowing money to buy land doesn't sound like a terrible idea right now.
I'm quite okay with having some debt in the next 2-3 years. the interest is a tax credit and inflation will eat away nicely at the principle. I might keep my student loans longer if inflation stays high for a while.borrowing money to buy land doesn't sound like a terrible idea right now.
debt is a weight on your lifeeven smart debt
So to sum up: We spend money and are the world's police because we are the only ones that can and the only ones that will.
I don't agree with you about much, but I agree with you about this.
And we've got to pony up for the cost of building imaginary factories to make toilet seats when we know we can go down to Ace and pick one up for $10?
I'm sorry if this has already been said, but I don't really buy that stuff about the $900 hammers and $1200 toilet seats or whatever. The reason the factories are imaginary is because they are using that money for covert operations, or just for something as simple as disguising what they are paying for. Maybe they don't want it to be public knowledge that they have a super awesome new tank that's gonna blow everybody up like a bunch of bitches. And of course on the other hand, there's obviously huge huge amounts of wasted money, and just general bullshit like soldiers not having proper gear. I just don't think it's because somebody is scamming the government out of billions by charging ridiculous prices for toilets.
I'm sorry if this has already been said, but I don't really buy that stuff about the $900 hammers and $1200 toilet seats or whatever. The reason the factories are imaginary is because they are using that money for covert operations, or just for something as simple as disguising what they are paying for. Maybe they don't want it to be public knowledge that they have a super awesome new tank that's gonna blow everybody up like a bunch of bitches. And of course on the other hand, there's obviously huge huge amounts of wasted money, and just general bullshit like soldiers not having proper gear. I just don't think it's because somebody is scamming the government out of billions by charging ridiculous prices for toilets.
I worked for defense contractors, and it's more complex than that. The problem is that it's not the same hammer as the one you run down to the hardware store to buy, but it does the same job. Instead, they say "We need a hammer that will withstand battle conditions, so that it must be able to 1) withstand 120 degree heat for 14 hours, 2) withstand -60 degree cold for 48 hours, 3) withstand a grenade blast at 30 feet, etc,etc". So even if a hammer off the shelf *would* meet the requirements (which it probably won't), it still requires massive testing and studying. More likely, there are a couple of the requirements that a normal hammer won't meet, so they have to build a special hammer with a special handle. That'll take years of R&D. In the end, you get a hammer that looks and acts like a normal hammer, but costs $1000 because it doesn't have any economy of scale to cover the R&D costs.The phrase "is it bulletproof" came from defense contractors, because that was a requirement of most things supplied to the military. I used to work on computers that were literally bulletproof. And they could be dropped off a two story building. How much do you think that adds to the cost?Nevermind that you could have 100 spares in the back room for 1/10 the cost....

+10,000 for Obama for being hilarious.Dick Cheney is working on his new memoir: "How to shoot friends and Interrogate People"Gold.

I worked for defense contractors, and it's more complex than that. The problem is that it's not the same hammer as the one you run down to the hardware store to buy, but it does the same job. Instead, they say "We need a hammer that will withstand battle conditions, so that it must be able to 1) withstand 120 degree heat for 14 hours, 2) withstand -60 degree cold for 48 hours, 3) withstand a grenade blast at 30 feet, etc,etc". So even if a hammer off the shelf *would* meet the requirements (which it probably won't), it still requires massive testing and studying. More likely, there are a couple of the requirements that a normal hammer won't meet, so they have to build a special hammer with a special handle. That'll take years of R&D. In the end, you get a hammer that looks and acts like a normal hammer, but costs $1000 because it doesn't have any economy of scale to cover the R&D costs.The phrase "is it bulletproof" came from defense contractors, because that was a requirement of most things supplied to the military. I used to work on computers that were literally bulletproof. And they could be dropped off a two story building. How much do you think that adds to the cost?Nevermind that you could have 100 spares in the back room for 1/10 the cost....
You know they spend so much on developing because they don't want to health risk of an exploding hammer right?
+10,000 for Obama for being hilarious.Dick Cheney is working on his new memoir: "How to shoot friends and Interrogate People"Gold.
I liked this one: "I would like to talk about what my administration plans to achieve in the next 100 days," Obama said. "During the second 100 days, we will design, build and open a library dedicated to my first 100 days."He added later, "I believe that my next 100 days will be so successful, I will be able to complete them in 72 days -- and on the 73rd day I will rest."
Extra funny because Cheney asked for the results of the interrogations 6 months ago and Obama won't release the value of the intel achieved because the public can't handle it.
Extra funny because Cheney asked for the results of the interrogations 6 months ago and Obama won't release the value of the intel achieved because the public can't handle it.
no, it's funny because he shot his friend in the face.it's extra funny because that friend ended up apologizing to cheney about the incident. talk about the dark side of the force....
This is totally the best forum ever, such a diverse and interesting mix of people. I'm serious.Anyways, thanks for the response - my point about fcp was because so often people will respond with first-hand knowledge of various things, such as you just gave.
I liked this one: "I would like to talk about what my administration plans to achieve in the next 100 days," Obama said. "During the second 100 days, we will design, build and open a library dedicated to my first 100 days."He added later, "I believe that my next 100 days will be so successful, I will be able to complete them in 72 days -- and on the 73rd day I will rest."
While all these are funny, he just read them off the prompter... he didn't write them. So he really doesn't deserve the credit for being funny. The writers definitely deserve some credit though.
no, it's funny because he shot his friend in the face.it's extra funny because that friend ended up apologizing to cheney about the incident. talk about the dark side of the force....
No it was extra extra funny because the man he shot in the face was a lawyer. :club:

I would like to hear from some people that voted for Obama, which is nearly everyone here... what do you seriously think of the job he's doing? Do you approve of his budget? Do you approve of the fact that he hasn't even come close to showing any signs of working on several promises that he made to all of us?He said that he would:balance the budget. He budget is the largest in history at 3.8 trillion or whatever. The national debt will be triple what it was under Bush in his last year.cut waste. His 'stimulus' bill was 93% wasteful spending.listen to ideas from across the aisle. This is bs that both sides say that don't do, but it was still a promise.not going after previous administration for ‘torture'. There are people in his administration that have said on several occasions that they are still exploring this, while Obama is using the same interrogation tactics that Bush did.take care of veterans. His administration is cutting benefits, and the military budget, all the while tripling our overall debt.will not meet with dictators. He did, and he's opening up Cuba soon.close GITMO. He is pissing off everyone for trying to get Europe to take GITMO prisoners and for planning to close the facility without a plan for the detainees still there.Bring troops home. He is sticking with Bush's timeline.So, are you guys fine with any of this stuff? Obviously, I'm biased and hate big government, which is why I'm a conservative. But are you massive federal government, no states rights liberals, liking this stuff? I'm not trying to condescend, I'm just trying to understand a POV that is foreign to me.

While all these are funny, he just read them off the prompter... he didn't write them. So he really doesn't deserve the credit for being funny. The writers definitely deserve some credit though.
So Jay Leno, David Letterman, John Stewart, Conan, and any other person who uses a writer shouldn't deserve any credit for being funny?
So Jay Leno, David Letterman, John Stewart, Conan, and any other person who uses a writer shouldn't deserve any credit for being funny?
Those guys are all writers also; they used to do all the writing for themselves and are still heavily involved in writing their own shows.Obama is an empty suit.
Those guys are all writers also; they used to do all the writing for themselves and are still heavily involved in writing their own shows.Obama is an empty suit.
Look I'm sure Obama has written some things himself over the years that he has been alive. He might even be able to come up with some funny jokes himself.My main point is that there are many things that we can criticize about Obama. Saying he shouldn't get credit for delivering a joke because someone else wrote it is just petty IMO.
Look I'm sure Obama has written some things himself over the years that he has been alive. He might even be able to come up with some funny jokes himself.My main point is that there are many things that we can criticize about Obama. Saying he shouldn't get credit for delivering a joke because someone else wrote it is just petty IMO.
I wasn't being petty, I was 'responding' to canebrain giving Obama 10,000 points for something he didn't do. These points are serious business.
I wasn't being petty, I was 'responding' to canebrain giving Obama 10,000 points for something he didn't do. These points are serious business.
I was clearly using the "Bush curve". Taking something someone else wrote and then saying it in public successfully is plus 5,000 pts on that scale. It says so in the rulebook. An extra 5K for laughter.
I would like to hear from some people that voted for Obama, which is nearly everyone here... what do you seriously think of the job he's doing? Do you approve of his budget? Do you approve of the fact that he hasn't even come close to showing any signs of working on several promises that he made to all of us?He said that he would:balance the budget. He budget is the largest in history at 3.8 trillion or whatever. The national debt will be triple what it was under Bush in his last year.cut waste. His 'stimulus' bill was 93% wasteful spending.listen to ideas from across the aisle. This is bs that both sides say that don't do, but it was still a promise.not going after previous administration for ‘torture'. There are people in his administration that have said on several occasions that they are still exploring this, while Obama is using the same interrogation tactics that Bush did.take care of veterans. His administration is cutting benefits, and the military budget, all the while tripling our overall debt.will not meet with dictators. He did, and he's opening up Cuba soon.close GITMO. He is pissing off everyone for trying to get Europe to take GITMO prisoners and for planning to close the facility without a plan for the detainees still there.Bring troops home. He is sticking with Bush's timeline.So, are you guys fine with any of this stuff? Obviously, I'm biased and hate big government, which is why I'm a conservative. But are you massive federal government, no states rights liberals, liking this stuff? I'm not trying to condescend, I'm just trying to understand a POV that is foreign to me.
I'd like to apologize to everyone for underestimating the true stats. It will be 4 times bigger than Bush's record deficit in 2008.... not 3 times.http://finance.yahoo.com/news/White-House-...99183.html?.v=8
I was clearly using the "Bush curve". Taking something someone else wrote and then saying it in public successfully is plus 5,000 pts on that scale. It says so in the rulebook. An extra 5K for laughter.
I can't argue with the rules, but I'd like to file a formal complaint.

I'm curious about the answer to brvheart's question: is anyone defending Obama these days? Occasionally he throws out a tidbit that is marginally positive, but can anyone say, overall, that he's been a net positive in light of all the things listed?I know his poll numbers are still really high, but I have yet to find anyone who defends the majority of what Obama has done with anything other than "oh yeah? well Bush sucked too/worse".I guess a few people say "he'll get better next year", or some variation of that. But he's done a lot so far, and I can't think of anyone who can be pleased except lobbyists.

I'm curious about the answer to brvheart's question: is anyone defending Obama these days? Occasionally he throws out a tidbit that is marginally positive, but can anyone say, overall, that he's been a net positive in light of all the things listed?I know his poll numbers are still really high, but I have yet to find anyone who defends the majority of what Obama has done with anything other than "oh yeah? well Bush sucked too/worse".I guess a few people say "he'll get better next year", or some variation of that. But he's done a lot so far, and I can't think of anyone who can be pleased except lobbyists.
I like everything he has done except the economic stuff that I rate at a C-Not everything is about dollars and cents. I liked his handling of the pirate situation, his reversal on torture AND his decision (so far) not to prosecute anyone who was involved in those policies, the way he has improved our image abroad, his reversal on stem cells, his general composed, thoughtful demeanor, and a host of other non-economic things. I can almost guarantee that I will like his first Supreme Court nominee as well.I am not thrilled with the budget but, then again, most of the people who are up in arms about it are the same people who got us in this mess in the first place. So I will reserve judgment and see what happens.I wish he would leave health care alone, at least for now. And I wish he would more strongly support gay marriage and end the ban on gays in the military.Overall, I would give him a B-
I like everything he has done except the economic stuff that I rate at a C-Not everything is about dollars and cents. I liked his handling of the pirate situation, his reversal on torture AND his decision (so far) not to prosecute anyone who was involved in those policies, the way he has improved our image abroad, his reversal on stem cells, his general composed, thoughtful demeanor, and a host of other non-economic things. I can almost guarantee that I will like his first Supreme Court nominee as well.I am not thrilled with the budget but, then again, most of the people who are up in arms about it are the same people who got us in this mess in the first place. So I will reserve judgment and see what happens.I wish he would leave health care alone, at least for now. And I wish he would more strongly support gay marriage and end the ban on gays in the military.Overall, I would give him a B-
This seems to agree with national polls: we like the rhetoric and the style, but not so much on the actual policy.You didn't mention the continuation of the policy of secret military prisons, the laughing at a serious question on drug war reform, the continuation of the Bush Iraq policy, the expansion of the war in Afghanistan/Pakistan, the continued invasions of privacy with covert warrantless spying on internet use, etc. Really, you seem to like his style and a couple minor issues, and that's an overall B- ?