The Official Obama Scorecard Thread

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

President Obama ordered the cabinet to cut $100,000,000.00 ($100 million) from the $3,500,000,000,000.00 ($3.5 trillion) federal budget.   I'm so impressed by this sacrifice that I have decided to

If by loop hole you mean they can buy new equipment and write off the cost...which results in more manufacturing of new equipment, then maybe I agree...but eventually the IRS gets paid.
To even suggest this is a 'loophole' is ridiculous. If PP&E deductions ever went away, so would an absolutely gigantic flow of dollars to businesses- small through large- that in turn employs a lot of people. It doesn't matter anymore since so much of it is made overseas these days so the manufacturing issue is moot, but a lot of CEO's, accountants, importers, middle managers and packing clerks would be out of work.
despite what the tea party might imply, Americans would still rather cut tax breaks for the rich and defense spending than cut entitlement programs:http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_usa_taxes_poll
Not knowing how the poll was worded the numbers can be misleading...Americans with spending and taxes are like kids with candy. they don't know when or how to stop as long as somebody else is paying the bill they are good. Assuming these numbers are correct I would be willing to discuss the lift in taxes if we did away completely with the Obamacare bankruptcy plan that is starting to be implemented...oh and maybe then we could create some accountablility to public workers...wait a minute if start using our heads we wouldn't need to raise taxes.
despite what the tea party might imply, Americans would still rather cut tax breaks for the rich and defense spending than cut entitlement programs:http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_usa_taxes_poll
Shockingly, a majority would rather have other people pay for the stuff for them, while not having themselves pay for things other people want! Wow, this has to be some sort of surveylogical breakthrough!
Obama admin pledges to cut military spending by $78B.I wasn't sure whether to give credit for this to the R's though, since when the Dems were in charge this never happened -- it took a Republican House to finally motivate Obama to show even the tiniest bit of fiscal responsibility.It is most likely an attempt to embarrass the Republicans by making them vote no on a slightly-more-than-trivial cut, knowing the the R's will face some criticism for cutting their beloved military-industrial complex.If this is where divided power in Washington leads us, I'll take it.
Obama admin pledges to cut military spending by $78B.I wasn't sure whether to give credit for this to the R's though, since when the Dems were in charge this never happened -- it took a Republican House to finally motivate Obama to show even the tiniest bit of fiscal responsibility.It is most likely an attempt to embarrass the Republicans by making them vote no on a slightly-more-than-trivial cut, knowing the the R's will face some criticism for cutting their beloved military-industrial complex.If this is where divided power in Washington leads us, I'll take it.
Plus when we have a situation where we need to send in the military and the republican president sends them in, the democrats can whine about not properly having them outfitted while pointing to the great budget cuts they made while in office.( Not saying the military budget isn't a bloated mess, just saying that ramifications will be felt somewhere by someone, and I suspect it will be the troopers, not the politicians sending them into harms way while flying private planes to avoid security lines)

What do you think about the administration using tax dollars to control the flow of information regarding the Obama health care law?

The brazenness of the Obama administration never ceases to amaze. Try typing "Obamacare" into Google, and you'll find that the first entry is now the Obama administration's www.healthcare.gov. If you don't particularly like that result, you'll probably hate the fact that you're paying for it. You'll get the same paid-for result if you type in "Obamacare facts," "Obamacare summary," "Obamacare info," "Obamacare overview," "Obamacare questions," "Obamacare explanation," "Obamacare basics," "Obamacare pros and cons," "Obamacare and elderly," and even "Obamacare and abortion." For each of these search terms, and many others, the Obama administration's site comes up first, as a paid entry. But it doesn’t come up if you type in "ObamaCare repeal."
My first thought was, that makes sense. But then I started thinking should we really be interested in the government trying to control the flow of information by directing people to read only their side of the issue?Obama ran on a promise of putting every bill up on the interweb before it was voted on and he has completely failed on that, even the people voting for it didn't get to read it.If this precedence takes, what will stop them from taking the next step of hiring ad agents to control the information we receive about bills that affect our lives?Sure the majority of people who can work the google will be able to bypass this attempt by clicking a different link, but let's face it, half of the people in this country vote for the other person you support, so how dumb are they?
What do you think about the administration using tax dollars to control the flow of information regarding the Obama health care law?My first thought was, that makes sense. But then I started thinking should we really be interested in the government trying to control the flow of information by directing people to read only their side of the issue?Obama ran on a promise of putting every bill up on the interweb before it was voted on and he has completely failed on that, even the people voting for it didn't get to read it. What are the odds that if you type in Obamacare your first hit will be the obama administration talking about health care. Insanity!If this precedence takes, what will stop them from taking the next step of hiring ad agents to control the information we receive about bills that affect our lives?Sure the majority of people who can work the google will be able to bypass this attempt by clicking a different link, but let's face it, half of the people in this country vote for the other person you support, so how dumb are they?
Wow, people might have to scroll down one entry to read a conservative accuse Democrats of trying to kill people's grandmothers. Information control!The best match comes up first and healthcare.gov is a pretty good match for all those search terms. This is how a search engine works; it's not "information control". What are the odds that if you type in Obamacare your first hit will be the obama administration talking about health care. Insanity! How could that possibly be! Conspiracy obv.People hire ad agents to influence the public about legislative issues all the time. What universe do you live in where this precedent wasn't set decades ago? I mean seriously did you write this post in 1935 and save it? Did you not watch television in 2010 between May and November?In sum, calling this "using tax dollars to control information" is pretty ridiculous.
Wow, people might have to scroll down one entry to read a conservative accuse Democrats of trying to kill people's grandmothers. Information control!The best match comes up first and healthcare.gov is a pretty good match for all those search terms. This is how a search engine works; it's not "information control". What are the odds that if you type in Obamacare your first hit will be the obama administration talking about health care. Insanity! How could that possibly be! Conspiracy obv.People hire ad agents to influence the public about legislative issues all the time. What universe do you live in where this precedent wasn't set decades ago? I mean seriously did you write this post in 1935 and save it? Did you not watch television in 2010 between May and November?In sum, calling this "using tax dollars to control information" is pretty ridiculous.
They don't put the frog into the boiling water...
The best match comes up first and healthcare.gov is a pretty good match for all those search terms. This is how a search engine works; it's not "information control". What are the odds that if you type in Obamacare your first hit will be the obama administration talking about health care. Insanity! How could that possibly be! Conspiracy obv.
You're kinda right, but there is a wafting stench of your sucking at really understanding how search engines work. Remember the whole "miserable failure"+ I'm Feeling Lucky gag? That was back when the algo at G overemphasized anchor text in inbound links... Yes, Google is pretty damn remarkable in being able to get the most relevant information to the higher SERPs, but don't think the system itself isn't *totally*, one thousand percent gameable. It's why the field of SEO exists in the first place and gaming the system is what they do for a living, day in and day out.
I'll admit, I got a bit choked up by Obama's speech tonight. Very moving and classy.
I didn't see the speech but read a transcript, It seemed a really good speech to me on first read. With all the crap that has gone on this week, many, many people of the left and in the media have damaged themselves to such an extent, that they will never be able to recover. Obama is not one of those people. I really have no problem with anything he has done or said this week, except when he thanked the Sheriff. That was kind of his "Brownie, your doin' a heckuva job" moment of this crisis.
I'll admit, I got a bit choked up by Obama's speech tonight. Very moving and classy.
it was a nice speech. too bad the audience sounded like a bunch of college freshmans at a pep rally. did they know this was a memorial service? who had the idea to have this thing in a gym???

Heard an interesting observation on the reaction to the speech by the commentators on the cable news shows.MSNBC: Well, it was nice but not on level with Clinton's Oklahoma City Bombing speech, or Reagen's after the ChallengerI know how to spell ReaganCNN: It was 5 times longer than Reagen's and 3 times longer than Clinton'sFox: Really an amazing speech well delivered and filled with content.

Chinese Premier getting the royal treatment....What will the protesters be portrayed as?A. Tea Party right wing nutcases.B. Richard Gere gerbil loving Tibet freedom fightersC. Americans with a valid point of view

I'm sorry, but that is just a terrible article. I went over to their website and apparently Media Matters is just a liberal goon squad out to try and discredit "Right-Wing Media". Incredibly biased. The authors of that article that you linked don't seem to understand the difference between "misinformation" and "opinion".For example how is this an instance of "misinformation"?
Hannity's Tea Party Appearance Canceled. Of the many Fox News personalities appearing at tea party events coinciding with Tax Day, Sean Hannity drew additional scrutiny for the fact that he was set to tape an episode of his Fox News program at an April 15 Cincinnati Tea Party event and charge audience members for tickets, with proceeds going to the tea party group. Hannity's plan was criticized by veteran journalists as crossing ethical lines, and reportedly "furious" Fox News executives yanked Hannity from the event at the last minute. Earlier in the month, Rupert Murdoch, chairman of Fox News parent company News Corp., said that Fox News "shouldn't be supporting the Tea Party."
Another example from the MM Website that tries to accuse Fox of Misinformation:
Fox & Friends hosted GOP Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) to suggest that more people carrying guns would deter crime, as well as falsely claim the District of Columbia is the "criminal capital of the country." In fact, numerous experts have argued that there is no link between laws allowing people to carry guns and a decrease in crime.
While it may be true that "numerous experts have argued that there is no link between laws allowing people to carry guns and a decrease in crime", it is also true that numerous experts have argued the opposite. Suggesting that gun ownership can lead to lower crime isn't "misinformation" just because numerous experts disagree with that conclusion. MM claiming that this is "misinformation" is more of a case of misinformation itself.
Chinese Premier getting the royal treatment....What will the protesters be portrayed as?A. Tea Party right wing nutcases.B. Richard Gere gerbil loving Tibet freedom fightersC. Americans with a valid point of view
D. People unreasonably terrified of communism.
I'm sorry, but that is just a terrible article. I went over to their website and apparently Media Matters is just a liberal goon squad out to try and discredit "Right-Wing Media". Incredibly biased. The authors of that article that you linked don't seem to understand the difference between "misinformation" and "opinion".For example how is this an instance of "misinformation"?Another example from the MM Website that tries to accuse Fox of Misinformation:While it may be true that "numerous experts have argued that there is no link between laws allowing people to carry guns and a decrease in crime", it is also true that numerous experts have argued the opposite. Suggesting that gun ownership can lead to lower crime isn't "misinformation" just because numerous experts disagree with that conclusion. MM claiming that this is "misinformation" is more of a case of misinformation itself.
I agree that Fox's agenda pushing is far more prevalent than outright misinformation.
D. People unreasonably terrified of communism.
? Pretty much the worst thing ever invented after Karaoke is communism.Of course having those few hundred million people killed HAS made it so there's more oil for the US..so maybe you are right.
? Pretty much the worst thing ever invented after Karaoke is communism.Of course having those few hundred million people killed HAS made it so there's more oil for the US..so maybe you are right.
There's no chance communism catches hold in the US anytime soon. Anyone who says we're close to it is either delusional, paranoid, or fear-mongering.

Fox News was talking about cuts to education in Detroit and said that because they're talking about cutting half the schools in the city, class sizes may go up to 62. I teach college kids, which isn't the same, but having subbed for 25 kid high school classes, I can't imagine trying to control 50 kids going through puberty. That would be insane.

New CNN Poll: 45% believe Obama's presidency has been a success, 48% believe it's been a failure. Interestingly though, more than half of those over 50 believe it's been a failure, while more than half of those under 50 believe it's been a success.I'd be interested to see specific numbers about who they asked. If the majority of who they sampled were over 50, it kinda skews the results.