The Official Obama Scorecard Thread

He did nothing?Really? the requirements to get into this country didn't change under Bush?
Isn't it rad when you can take one thing, then juxtapose it with another, totally unrelated thing and then hope people will buy it?Star_Trek_Helmet.jpg
  • Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

President Obama ordered the cabinet to cut $100,000,000.00 ($100 million) from the $3,500,000,000,000.00 ($3.5 trillion) federal budget.   I'm so impressed by this sacrifice that I have decided to

Next up: Christianity.
I was actually going to bring this up. What are your feeling on those who would bomb abortion clinics? Do you think that there should be no churches near abortion clinics? Or if a church wanted to build next to a bombed abortion clinic, then that too would be wrong morally, but right constitutionally?
I was actually going to bring this up. What are your feeling on those who would bomb abortion clinics? Do you think that there should be no churches near abortion clinics? Or if a church wanted to build next to a bombed abortion clinic, then that too would be wrong morally, but right constitutionally?
There is a new HBO documentary movie about a street corner in Fort Pierce, FL where an anti-abortion group bought a complex across the street from an abortion clinic. It was pretty awesome to see how marketing-savvy and psychology-savvy the anti-abortion people were in their plans to talk young girls out of abortions. They are very open with the camera crew that their theory is if you can give a girl a free ultrasound and have her see a heartbeat than you can talk them out of it. It's by HBO so it is super-slanted against the anti-abortion group but it is definitely worth watching just for a few jaw-dropping moments (and some old, sad lies like when the head of the anti-abortion group tells a girl that condoms are only 75% effective).The best part is when they describe abortion to some of the young girls.....apparently Jesus is ok with the lie that all abortions are like partial birth abortions (they tell a girl who is 7 weeks pregnant that the abortion doctor will rip the arms off the fetus during the abortion). They also misrepresent to the girls their current likely pregnancy duration to give them the illusion they have more time to decide (if a girl is 11 weeks pregnant, they tell her she is 7 weeks preggo, etc.)
Heh. I see what you're getting at, but the details of the present mosque situation are pretty central to its meaning. But yeah sure we can imagine a hypothetical in which the chosen location of a christian church is provocative.
somehow i think "love your neighbor as yourself" is pretty far from "kill everyone who doesn't worship me".
Of course, both of these messages made their way into the bible.
somehow i think "love your neighbor as yourself" is pretty far from "kill everyone who doesn't worship me".
Though killing all those people who didn't worship him isn't so far from, "kill everyone who doesn't worship me."
You have read the Old Testament right? Noah's Ark ring a bell ... but keep laughing if you must
Do you really think the story of Noah's Ark is telling people to kill everyone who doesn't worship god?
Do you really think the story of Noah's Ark is telling people to kill everyone who doesn't worship god?
I see your point. Let me cherry pick another storyEDIT: Here's the thing: God himself in the OT chooses to have the Israelites destroy the other nations because they are wicked. God made that distinction and the people followed that and killed in the name of God because he told them to.Mohammed has told his people to kill people in his name as well. I just don't see the distinction except as a matter of semantics. You are always going to have people that interpret their particular beliefs in a different way. So an extreme muslim may read the Koran and decide that it means he needs to become a suicide bomber. While the other more pragmatic muslims see that verse and take it into context with the other parts of the Koran. (admittidly I have never read the Koran so I have no real idea what is in the book)There are also those who would read the bible and come up with wacky ideas like the need to bomb abortion clinics and to rally against gay people. Then there are those that read the bible and take all things in context.So while Noah may not be the best example, it is a story in which GOD decided to kill everyone on earth except one family.
no it's telling people that an old man was able to capture two of every species on the planet in a small window of time.I think I might prefer if the message was something plausible like kill everyone who does not worship god.
no it's telling people that an old man was able to capture two of every species on the planet in a small window of time.I think I might prefer if the message was something plausible like kill everyone who does not worship god.
Yeah, I really don't think we need to talk about the plausibility of the story, but I just thought it was weird to use that one as the Bible telling us we should kill everyone.
Yeah, I really don't think we need to talk about the plausibility of the story, but I just thought it was weird to use that one as the Bible telling us we should kill everyone.
Well, maybe I want to talk about its plausibility. No, it is not a story that seems to fit the kill non-believers message.I do find it amusing that Christians ITT would support putting a gay bar next to a mosque but might be a bit hesitant to support one next a church.
You have read the Old Testament right? Noah's Ark ring a bell ... but keep laughing if you must
yes, i've read the whole bible several times over. i believe the whole bible is worth studying. that said, the central message of Christ, whom you may recognize as the root of the word "Christianity", is a command to love everyone. Also high on his priority list: forgiveness, grace and mercy. Regardless of what modern or historical fringe groups have done in the name of Christ (and man has done horrible things in the name of God), the central message of Christ is a peaceful one. The koran cannot say the same thing.This isn't the religion forum, so feel free to take it there if you genuinely think that's incorrect.
No, but I think the battle of Jericho is going pretty far along that direction.
Also high on his priority list: forgiveness, grace and mercy.
If only these were high on the priority list of the Christians who make headlines. If only normal religious people would stand up to the crazy minority of religious people.Oh well.Anyone want to set an over/under on how many seats the Dems lose in the House or Senate this fall?
yes, i've read the whole bible several times over. i believe the whole bible is worth studying. that said, the central message of Christ, whom you may recognize as the root of the word "Christianity", is a command to love everyone. Also high on his priority list: forgiveness, grace and mercy. This isn't the religion forum, so feel free to take it there if you genuinely think that's incorrect.
Now have you ever read the Koran? I haven't but I would wonder what the central message of Mohammed is.
Well, maybe I want to talk about its plausibility.
Ok, then first of all, it doesn't say Noah had to go out and capture all the animals; God brought them to him.* Does anybody here know how many animals would have to be on the boat?*Edit: I mean, you should know that from the movie Evan Almighty.
What do timothy Osmundson and Skeet Ulrich have to do with this?
Now have you ever read the Koran? I haven't but I would wonder what the central message of Mohammed is.
I stopped reading after the 72 virgins part.
Ok, then first of all, it doesn't say Noah had to go out and capture all the animals; God brought them to him. Does anybody here know how many animals would have to be on the boat?
that was nice of God. He certainly treated Noah better than his own son. Have not seen Evan Almighty.

What have I done? No one cares about the validity of the story in this thread. As Longliveyork brought up, I should have used another story as my analogy.Sorry that I'm not an astrophysicist

That's a good one, but I like it because the prostitute is the hero.I think it's what Pretty Woman is based on.