Season finale next week :club: Looks pretty great, but the layoff is going to suck, especially being so close to (hopefully) everything getting wrapped up in the next 20ish episodes. Showing Locke in what is assumed to be the present finding himself from one of the earlier flash-forwards was intriguing, although I can't really verbalize why. I had some good half-thoughts about it, but I like where it's going, even if it is tossing in another wrinkle.Jakob should be great.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that was Christian (jack's father) who flashed in the chair where Jacob was supposed to be. It could be him.
thought that may be a possibility but John already saw Christian when he fell down the well. he didn't refer to him as Jacob so no go.I suppose it could be Jacob but not sure how they would explain the secrecy. maybe Jacob ends up being Locke himself. hopefully it IS a character we've seen before so it's not just some random dude.I'm wondering if they'll ever bring back Walt again. he seemed to be an important piece to the mystery of the island but after a glimpse of Walt he hasn't been around again. maybe he'll be a key character when Sawyer/Kate/Juliet get back to land.will the finale be 2 hours?

Here is my thoughts on Jakob:Locke is leading "his" people to see Jakob and tells Ben he's going to kill Jakob. Why? How? My take is that Jakob is a figurehead and not a real person and Locke is going to demystify and deconstruct the notion that Jakob is pulling the strings. I don't think it's Richard or Chrsitian and it's certainly not Ben. Jakob is not real and by revealing this, Locke is "killing" Jakob, partly so he can get down to the business of leading.We shall see and it WILL be interesting...

First thought:Jakob and the other guy on the beach, watching that ship (forget it's name) approach. Jakob is dressed in white, the other in black. The symbolism is pretty obvious. They're battling over something -- the fundamental nature of man, good or bad-- and they've picked sides, like an Angel and a Demon or something.

This is my gripe so far: Dismantling that hydrogen bomb?! Now, I am in no way an expert on bombs, but I do know a little bit. The focus of my free study and interest is on the fission and fusion (attempts) bombs from the 1950's (first H-bomb detonated in '52) to the 80's and in no way shape or form do I even think for one second that they'd have the materials to open up a hydrogen bomb to take the core. It's a little bit harder than unscrewing and taking apart.

First thought:Jakob and the other guy on the beach, watching that ship (forget it's name) approach. Jakob is dressed in white, the other in black. The symbolism is pretty obvious. They're battling over something -- the fundamental nature of man, good or bad-- and they've picked sides, like an Angel and a Demon or something.
Agree. Reminds me of God and Satan in the story of Job.As to the plot twist at the end, here's my take:The guy in the black in the beginning, Jacob's antithesis, is the Monster. The monster has always had the ability to take the form of people who are dead, and every time we've seen the dead walking around, it has been this guy. Locke is no exception at the end. This is why the monster ordered Ben to do whatever Locke said, so that he would kill Jacob (of course for some reason it would be impossible for Locke/Man in Black/The Monster to kill Jacob himself, that would violate the rules).Every time we've seen Jacob, it's really been Christian Shepard, who's dead. Therefore, it has really been the guy in black, the monster. That's why when the people came to Jacob's burned cabin, they claimed that he "hadn't been there for a long time." So, somehow these two have taken wagers on the goodness or the evil within man. And they've seen this story unfold many times. If I remember correctly, the man in black claimed that Jacob had "brought" the people on the Black Rock to the island, and he had done it to "prove him wrong." Or something like that. They are somehow in an almost endless loop, just like the whole island must be, and they have seen the fate of man many times.But there is something that will bring the loop to the end. There is some difference this time around, something that has changed, which will cause it all to come to an end, which caused the death of Jacob, and which will cause the end of the Island and will bring out the ultimate fate for our survivors. It is most likely some innocuous thing that happened, something that we'd remember but wouldn't necessarily stand out, that has caused this change. Maybe it involves Aaron (or maybe the man in black IS Aaron...)Also, I'm like 99% that Rose and Bernard are Adam and Eve (the skeletons in the cave). Nothing else makes any sense. They represent a purity and happiness that no one else on the island has found. They care not about death knowing that they have been so happy in life.Thoughts?

Yeah, I was thinking about the Aaron thing earlier, and for some reason I thought he'd end up being Jakob or The Man in Black.I like how we got to see Jakob recruiting the Oceanic 815ers in moments of extreme weakness. I'm not totally sure what it means -- perhaps part of the bet between Jakob and The Man in Black has something to do specifically with the character of the people being tested -- but it's interesting that Jakob shows up during times of pain, or when the character is exhibiting one of his or her flaws. Kate's stealing. Sawyer's writing a letter in which he promises vengeance. Jack is just out of a surgery and is mad, scared, and acting petulant about a candy bar. Locke is lying near-death on the sidewalk. Sayid's wife dies (I will have to watch again, but did Jakob cause this?). Hugo's just been released from prison. The only one that didn't seem to fit was Sun/Jin. They were happy, just married, in love. Seemed a little like an outlier. Now that I know Locke was The Man in Black, I am going to watch all the Return to the Island episodes to see if anything falls into place. The scene where Locke sends Ricardo Alpert to talk to his past self takes on a new and confusing significance.

Yeah, I was thinking about the Aaron thing earlier, and for some reason I thought he'd end up being Jakob or The Man in Black.I like how we got to see Jakob recruiting the Oceanic 815ers in moments of extreme weakness. I'm not totally sure what it means -- perhaps part of the bet between Jakob and The Man in Black has something to do specifically with the character of the people being tested -- but it's interesting that Jakob shows up during times of pain, or when the character is exhibiting one of his or her flaws. Kate's stealing. Sawyer's writing a letter in which he promises vengeance. Jack is just out of a surgery and is mad, scared, and acting petulant about a candy bar. Locke is lying near-death on the sidewalk. Sayid's wife dies (I will have to watch again, but did Jakob cause this?). Hugo's just been released from prison. The only one that didn't seem to fit was Sun/Jin. They were happy, just married, in love. Seemed a little like an outlier. Now that I know Locke was The Man in Black, I am going to watch all the Return to the Island episodes to see if anything falls into place. The scene where Locke sends Ricardo Alpert to talk to his past self takes on a new and confusing significance.
I would say this one is more about Jin than Sun. Yes they're happy and in love, but Jin has the moral dilema of the man he's become for Sun's father in order to be with Sun. Also, Jin seems to have more to do with the happenings on the island than Sun who is only looking to be reunited with Jin.
I will have to rewatch it again, but I am pretty sure he TOUCHES every person when he visited them? Off the top of my head, he tapped Kate's nose, grabs Sayid, gives Jack his bar, holds both Sun and Jin's shoulder, but I am unsure about Sawyer and Hurley if someone can help me out. I decided to mention Locke in a different sentence, as it looked to me that Locke was dead until Jakob touched him and he opened his eyes. I mean they DID call it a miracle. It is weird that in all of the flashbacks, Jakob was in it EXCEPT Juliettes....Also, I am thinking that he knew Sayid was going to get hit by the car (did you notice the car sped off, making it look intentional, like a hit was put out on Sayid [maybe Whitmore?]) so he pulled Sayid back.My initial thoughts...(it is 8am and I will be just throwing an idea out there)It is a battle of good versus evil it appears (obviously) and evil can't kill good outright, he needs to have someone do it for him. Maybe Jack dropping the bomb correlates directly to the good versus evil story. Maybe the reason he visited all of them is to turn them on to his side (Without them knowing) so later on down the line he can survive. Dropping the bomb means that none of them come to the island, and if none come to the island, then Locke never meets Ben, and Locke never dies, and the Man in Black can't use Ben to kill Jakob. Since the Losties never make it to the island.So maybe Jakob was recruiting the Losties to help him out? I know there are probably a few holes I will find tomorrow in this but I think it may have some possibility?Other questions...Is that why Richard didn't want anyone going in with the leader? Because maybe the Man in Black has to be present when Jakob dies, but he obviously can't do it himself, so with only one person allowed in at a time, then there is no chance anyone will attack Jakob.Furthering, who IS Richard Alpert? He appears to be a guardian...Angel?Also, where does Whitmore come into play next season?And what the fuck is going to happen with the bomb?!?ARGGHHH head asplode!!!!
Jakob and the other guy on the beach, watching that ship (forget it's name) approach. Jakob is dressed in white, the other in black. The symbolism is pretty obvious. They're battling over something -- the fundamental nature of man, good or bad-- and they've picked sides, like an Angel and a Demon or something.
one of the first things locke says on the island "two sides, one is light one is dark" (wow)
one of the first things locke says on the island "two sides, one is light one is dark" (wow)
Why would you say that?Now I have to go back and rewatch the who series before next January. Thanks for planting that seed in my head. Thanks a lot.

obviously jacob is a creator of some kind (of just the island, or is he God?) the weaving being symbolic.fake locke is a/the devil. ben is supposed to be a parallel to judas or something. strange mix of egyptian gods/symbols and greek writing on the tapestry.

Aaron will replace Jacob
when jacob says "they're coming" i assume he's referring to his chosen people - jack kate jin etc. whoare (thanks to the bomb) now on their way from the past to battle the bad dude in his stead somehow. i'm sure LLY is right and the bad dude was (or was associated with) smokey, the thing in the cabin that wasn't jacob, apparations of christian etc.
when jacob says "they're coming" i assume he's referring to his chosen people - jack kate jin etc. whoare (thanks to the bomb) now on their way from the past to battle the bad dude in his stead somehow. i'm sure LLY is right and the bad dude was (or was associated with) smokey, the thing in the cabin that wasn't jacob, apparations of christian etc.
i think is all plausible, except i don't think jacob wants to save himself - he wants to be replaced. the loop ends, he fulfills his destiny, and aaron takes over as the weaver.
I don't necessarily believe that just because Jakob wore white and the other dude wore black solidifies that Jakob is "good" and the other dude is "evil."
OKOKMan of Science, Man of God.