novice player has a few questions-please help answer

Hey,These questions should be quite simple, but im just stuck.Here they are:1) Why is it that if both players have nothing, but a flush/straight is on the board; they split the pot. But when we have a high pair on the board we dont. So what are the circumstances or rules to splitting the pot.2) When calculating outs, do we take into account the possiblity of tow pairs? For instance, I have J K, flop is A, 3, 9. I know my J can beat 3, 9s , but what about the K losing to the A. How do I calculate this hand. ( I dont know if that made sense) Lets say it this way, even if I did count the remaing 3 kings as an out, if someone had 3 and 9, it wouldnt matter, so would i make the 3 3s and the 3 9s against my outs?3)I dont understand these terms: Overcards (are these any cards over 10?)Gutshot?Open/Backdoor Draw?4)When a guy is all in, but two other players are still "playing", when we find out which player has the best hand is the pot split like this:raises/blinds -> 2nd best hand if the person whose all in winscalls-> goes to side pot for the person whose all in5) No limit tournament, we are down to the last 2 players. Do we still have big/small blinds or do they put in the same amount for starting bets.Thanks for taking the time to help me out,Silverwin

1) The best FIVE cards win the pot. So, if there is a high pair on the board, you go to the 3rd, 4th, and 5th cards to see who has the best KICKERS.3) Overcards are cards higher than the board, or the cards that the other player has. (I could be a little of the technical answer to this one.)

2) Okay lets just say this: You have J K, flop comes A 3 9 can you please tell me are the outs?
Well, if your opponent has something like 8-9 (for a pair of 9's), you have 6 outs (3 K's in the deck and 3 J's in the deck). Your outs change depending on what your opponent has.

5) So you only calculate outs when your pulling for a 5 card hand or something? I read articles on pot odds and hand odds, and outs, but I guess im dumbfounded about when to use them.Thanks again for the help fryer!

2) Okay lets just say this: You have J K, flop comes A 3 9 can you please tell me are the outs?
Well, if your opponent has something like 8-9 (for a pair of 9's), you have 6 outs (3 K's in the deck and 3 J's in the deck). Your outs change depending on what your opponent has.
But I dont know what my opponent has, so basically I wouldnt calculate outs in this situation?
Thanks again for the help fryer!
This might be the first and last time this will EVER be stated.IMO...I'm not sure you know what "outs" are. Read up on them more and learn the basics before getting into pot odds, etc.Good luck with that.
But I dont know what my opponent has, so basically I wouldnt calculate outs in this situation?
Well, based on your opponent's betting pattern, you try to put him on a range of possible hands. If he has pocket aces for example, then your only outs are a potential straight (runner runner Q 10) or a flush if you have the right suits.If has a Q high, then you're ahead.I'd suggest going to the Poker Book section, take a look at the reviews and do some reading. If you want to learn about limit he poker, then pick up Small Stakes Hold-em. For no limit poker, maybe Super System or Harrington on Holdem if you are interested in tournament no limit hold-em.

Outs are the cards that you believe will give you the best hand. For example if you have Kd Jd and the flop comes Ah Qh 5c, you probably would only want to count the 3 10's that are not a heart (giving a possible flush that would beat your straight).Shock