Like or dislike Obama, this is an historic ocassion. Chief Justice John Roberts apparently didn't practice with Obama...and at least one of the TWO messups was his. Well done, sir, well done. You've officially committed a blunder that will be written about for centuries in presidential history books.Here's the official text to have when you youtube/replay the swearing in."I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So there were two mistakes...and you blame Roberts...not the guy who has memorized multiple speeches for the last year straight, for messing up a 30 word statement...btw Obama's speech was lacking, if I paid to fly to DC and froze my butt off for hours for that speech, I would be pissed. Pretty sure some lady in red was falling asleep on the stage when the cameras were on the little girl recording the speech on her cell phone.And I know I saw Theresa Heinz-Kerry in the background looking pissedYea, this is how they spend $150 million...I guess the $350 billion in Tarp funds is in good hands

This line in the speech made it all worth it for me:"For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."I don't think I have ever heard a politician say that. (Contrast with Bush #1's remark: "No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God.")

I thought it was a great speech, actually. I was very moved by the whole occasion.
I agree, it was a great speech and everyone who isn't pathetically biased against Obama is saying so. I also appreciate the comment about non-believers, I hope he will continue to recognise freedom from religion in this manner.
This line in the speech made it all worth it for me:"For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."I don't think I have ever heard a politician say that. (Contrast with Bush #1's remark: "No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God.")
My favorite part of the speech was "and roll back the specter of a warming planet".
I thought it was a great speech, actually. I was very moved by the whole occasion.
I agree, it was a great speech and everyone who isn't pathetically biased against Obama is saying so. I also appreciate the comment about non-believers, I hope he will continue to recognise freedom from religion in this manner.
Many times I was moved and got chills. No kidding. This event is the greatest ever...the swearing in of a president, the shots of all those people, good LORD! It was like nothing I had ever seen before.But I did not think this speech was his best one. It came across to me as just another one in a line of many campaign type speeches.The last guy, the older reverend had the home run speech imo.and how ironic that so many liberals who are atheists voted for Obama ...... and then to have so many God references in the ceremony today. Chuckle.
and how ironic that so many liberals who are atheists voted for Obama ...... and then to have so many God references in the ceremony today.
We're used to it by now. Though we did get a brief shoutout by O, so that's cool.
Well done, sir, well done. You've officially committed a blunder that will be written about for centuries in presidential history books.
No, it won't. Personally speaking, I had no reaction to it whatsoever and hadn't thought of it until this very post.I think that mankind has entered an era where we have far more important things to document in our history books than someone stumbling over a couple words during an important ceremony. I seriously question the personality type that infuses this sort of thing with meaning and genuinely believes that it's important enough to be "written about for centuries in presidential history books."
No, it won't. Personally speaking, I had no reaction to it whatsoever and hadn't thought of it until this very post.I think that mankind has entered an era where we have far more important things to document in our history books than someone stumbling over a couple words during an important ceremony. I seriously question the personality type that infuses this sort of thing with meaning and genuinely believes that it's important enough to be "written about for centuries in presidential history books."
Agreed.But did you see the dress that Michelle was wearing?

The only thing that annoys me is that Hussein didn't smoke during the ceremony.Yeah, sure, he says he's quitting and won't be smoking in the white house. Whatever. Smoking has been, is and always will be the standard of coolness. Having a president who smokes sends a message to the world that transcends national philosophy or political dogma; it tells the world that no matter where we stand, no matter what issues we're dealing with and no matter what wars we're in, we're fucking cooler than you. He really let us down here... All I could think of is how spectacularly awesome it would've been if he had the courage to enjoy a smoke on the platform. No, he doesn't have to keep a Newport hanging from his lip during the oath (reports have it that he smokes Marlboros, but deep down, we all know he's a Newport man...) but how about while you're sitting there listing to Yo Yo Ma, blowing a few contemplative rings?That would've been a poster that resided on the walls of every single college student for the next 100 years...

I noticed that straight away too, I also thought that near the end he didn't actually say all that he was supposed to say which none of the commentators seemed to mention.

Well this is an example of why you don't elected Senators to President. They can't delegate and always want to micromanage everything.Obama is known for being a great speaker, his speeches is what inspired people.This speech was supposed to be the best one yet, and it wasn't, not even close.He is reported to have written this speech all by himself, spent 2 days writing it. The Reverend Lowery let us know that one day maybe whites will accept black's rights...at the inauguration of an African American man.

What the cynics fail to understand is that the ground has shifted beneath them - that the stale political arguments that have consumed us for so long no longer apply. The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it works
One of the worst things ever said in a presidential speech.Well, besides this:
Nor is the question before us whether the market is a force for good or ill. Its power to generate wealth and expand freedom is unmatched, but this crisis has reminded us that without a watchful eye, the market can spin out of control - and that a nation cannot prosper long when it favors only the prosperous
There is no such right in this countryHowever you do have these rights:via inauguration speech:"We remain a young nation, but in the words of Scripture, the time has come to set aside childish things. The time has come to reaffirm our enduring spirit; to choose our better history; to carry forward that precious gift, that noble idea, passed on from generation to generation: the God-given promise that all are equal, all are free, and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness."

Inauguration speeches are lame compared to those who came before us. What will decide whether this is a historic presidency will be in the actions that Obama puts forth during his tenure as POTUS. Speaking mainly from a business perspective ... i think it will fall short of historic measures. The only thing that will be talked about in 50 years is how a half white half black man took over and cost the next generation trillions of dollars. Yippee!Oh yeah. I am not a republican or a democrat ... I voted for Nader.