Australian Open

Starts January 19th. Not a ton of Tennis fans in my usual thread to talk too. Any here? I'm sure at least one degenerate on this site had to have placed a bet down on it already. I'm a Roger fan, btw.I'll recycle what I've already said:

Anyway, Aussie open time. Federer got dicked in the seeding. Del Potro, Wawinka, Safin, Berdych, Moya, Ferrer, Cilic, Lopez just all in his Quarter bracket. Then he'd likely have to face Djokovic followed by Nadal or Murray to win. ****.He'd likely have to beat (in order) his first round foe, Moya, Safin in his last Aussie Open, Wawinka or Berdych, then Del Potro or Ferrer, then Djokovic, then Murray or Nadal. What a ****ing minefield. If he pulls this off, and I give him a 20-25% chance of that which is probably friendly, then I think there would be little doubt that Federer is back in form.

Posted in BAW first.

Something told me your post was going to be tennis and therefore Federer related. Good stuff!I haven't really looked at the draw but that does seem rough for Federer, whos left in Nadal/Murray's half? Roddick and... I'm out. This is great news for the other 3, because despite Nadal being number 1, Djoko being defending champ and Murray in great form, Federer is still the man to beat. He'll be so determined to get to 14 now because otherwise he may have to wait 'til NY again (probably not though, he'll win Wimbledon).I honestly don't know who to tip. Murray is playing so well that even a cynic like me thinks he could do it, I'm just so used to British players dissapointing time and again. I hope Cilic or Gublis makes a good run here, I would mention Del Potro but I think he's seeded 8th or 9th so a deepish run wouldn't be a shock.Always a good tournament in Melbourne and makes getting up for classes a bit easier!Oh, and how do you know this is Safin's last AO? Is he retiring after this year?

Obviously no-one cares about tennis just now, sigh.Ah well, Federer vs Safin up next, can't wait for this one I have great memories of their 2005 SF here and hope for something half as good. The match is on after Dokic v Wozniacki and I must say Wozniacki is very hot! 18 years old - oh yes!Dokic up a break in the 3rd, Aussies go nuts

Yup, she is hot K_T. I saw her at Roland Garros last year, Argentinian so she has that Latina fire about her.You do know the middle picture is Nicole Vaidisova though?On tennis related notes, why are the French all doing so well!? Tsonga, Monfils, Simon are all through and Gasquet is 2 up on Gonzo.Murray is tearing Melzer a new one, good to see.

What are the chances of the top 4 mens seeds in the Semi Finals? They have all looked really good so far. Being a fellow Scot I'm really hoping this will be Murray's breakthrough Slam win. If not this time perhaps the US Open (Can't see him getting past Nadal at Rolond Garos or Federer at Wimbledon).

You do know the middle picture is Nicole Vaidisova though?
I had no idea. I just typed her name under google pictures and found the hottest pictures I could find.Am I the only American who hates Andy Roddick?
Am I the only American who hates Andy Roddick?
Maybe. I know the American public is a bit dissapointed in him. He should probably have more than 1 major after all bis hype when he was coming through the rankings. I always thought he was quite popular though, he seems like a good guy. Didn't he host an episode of SNL and Good Morning America?He's quietly going about his business in Melbourne and could upset Djokovic, he might enjoy being a big dog going into the match. But I don't see him winning.
Tsonga to beat Murray in the Quarters.
I knew you were anti-Scots!What do you base this on exactly? Murray has looked just as good as the top 3, better than Djokovic imo and Tsonga hasn't looked as dominating as he did this time last year. Murray in 4.
Winner of Djokovic/Federer semi, to win the title
Meh, probably. But I wouldn't be so dismissive of Nadal. He was awesome against Haas, 53 winners he hit. Incredible.And Federer has to get by Del Potro who might fancy his chances after seeing Berdych push the great man so far.Predictions:Nadal>Gonzalez 3-0Murray>Tsonga 3-1Djokovic>Roddick 3-0Federer>Del Potra 3-2
I knew you were anti-Scots!What do you base this on exactly? Murray has looked just as good as the top 3, better than Djokovic imo and Tsonga hasn't looked as dominating as he did this time last year. Murray in 4.
Not anti-Scots at all, but I have got a bet with a friend that Federer gets further than Murray. (along with a 7/1 bet for Djokovic to win the title)... Just got a feeling that Tsonga willl beat Murray. You have to look at records in particular Grand Slams, and Tsonga obviously likes the Australian Open, beat Murray last year, and especially if it's in the heat of the day (hopefully!), Murray will struggle.
Meh, probably. But I wouldn't be so dismissive of Nadal.
Me picking the winner of Djokovic/Federer to win the title doesn't mean I'm being dismissive of Nadal... I just don't think he's going to win this one.
Not anti-Scots at all,
I know, I was just playing.And whoooooops! Guess we were couting our chickens too early and forgort Murray had to get by Verdasco first!

I didn't share the same hopes for Murray that many did for this tournament, and he should never have been favourite.. or even close... but I'm surprised he lost to Verdasco. I think Murray needs to work on his attitude before he wins a Grand Slam... they are very different animals to the usual tour, 3-set, tournaments.Nadal is looking very good LJ, you're right... still going with Djokovic/Federer though.

I'm American, and while I don't hate Roddick, I don't like him either.Oh, and Federer is in the Semi's! And he ****ing flogged Del Potro. Straight sets and two bagels in a quarter final of a slam? Wtf.GOOOOOOOOOOOO GET THAT SLAM BUDDdDDDDDDDDDDDDDYAnd while I'm glad Novak is out, Roddick is in form. Let's see if Federer still has that Roddick killer attitude in him after all this time! I'd love to see Federer/Nadal on a hardcourt for a slam. Jesus I love this sport.

He was indeed, quite phenomenal. He must not have liked playing 5 sets and didn't fancy doing it again.Nadal will pummel Simon I think. Tsonga/Verdasco will be close and Nadal/Federer on a hard court would be awesome.I can't pick a winner on the women's side. But it could possibly be 4 Russians in the semi's - that's got to be a first in the Open era. (One nation holding all 4 semi spots)

I have a feeling Simon will get crushed also.Tsonga vs. Nadal in a rematch of last years semis would be interesting. Tsonga dominated him last year, so I wonder if Nadal is chomping at the bit to get another shot. And if so, is Nadal looking past Simon to Tsonga and then possibly to Federer? Simon has come on since the Shangai Masters Cup series, and underestimating him could cost Nadal a Semi spot. Still, it's unlikely.I have a feeling Tsonga is going to wipe the floor with Verdasco though, who seems like he's happy where he got already lol.

I have a feeling Tsonga is going to wipe the floor with Verdasco though, who seems like he's happy where he got already lol.
woops.I enjoy watching Roddick ever since he dropped down in the ranks. Last year when he shouted about the umpire" I'd love 5 minutes alone with this guy in an elevator" I was in love.Unfortunately because of my job and Israel time difference I don't get to see any of this. First time I haven't watched a grand slam in years

Well **** me sideways. Tsonga got mangled.Can this slam really end in any other way than Nadal v. Federer now?

I was just thinking, while watching the women's semis... about Hawkeye. Which is able to correctly display whether a ball was in or out.Well, why isn't this technology just expanded slightly, so that it's used on EVERY point? Not so that they have to replay it or anything after every point, just make it so it's hooked up to the umpire's chair, and the umpire can just instantly have a pop-up on a little screen in front of them.. in, or out.No need for line-judges, no need for challenges, or replays... just automatically use it all the time. Why are they only using it in a 'challenge' system when the players call for it? If it's there, just use it all the time!

I was just thinking, while watching the women's semis... about Hawkeye. Which is able to correctly display whether a ball was in or out.Well, why isn't this technology just expanded slightly, so that it's used on EVERY point? Not so that they have to replay it or anything after every point, just make it so it's hooked up to the umpire's chair, and the umpire can just instantly have a pop-up on a little screen in front of them.. in, or out.No need for line-judges, no need for challenges, or replays... just automatically use it all the time. Why are they only using it in a 'challenge' system when the players call for it? If it's there, just use it all the time!
They've been making an argument for that in the last few years. I guess nobody likes the idea of a machine totally determining the outcome of matches without some human involvement.

Nadal vs Verdasco is delivering.If you can try and watch the rally that gave Nadal set point in the 2nd. It ends with a phenomenal forehand from Rafa.Also, I was quoted 5/1 that this would go to 5. I wish I'd taken it!

Nadal vs Verdasco is delivering.If you can try and watch the rally that gave Nadal set point in the 2nd. It ends with a phenomenal forehand from Rafa.Also, I was quoted 5/1 that this would go to 5. I wish I'd taken it!
Yea that point was amazing, how the hell do you bend it like that, My first match I had the chance to watch.

Wow. What a match!Federer must have been loving it! This has to give him the edge. Along with the fact he's still a better hard court player than Nadal.