Time To Get Serious With Plo

OK gents, I'm looking for some help:I've been playing PLO for a few months now. Previously I've spent most of my time on LHE, 7 Stud, and 3 years ago I was playing a lot of PLO8. I can hold my own at a HORSE or 8 game table with ease. I've hardly played any NLHE, except for some sit'n'gos and home game tournaments. I enjoy 6 max PLO a lot, and do believe the opportinty is better there than hold'em, so I want to get better at that.Been playing mostly .25/.5, some lower, some .5/1. A slight loser so far over 25K+ hands or so, slight as in rakeback and bonuses are keeping me close to level. But I'm sick of level, I want to make some money at this.So, I'm gonna sign up for a training site. Recommendations? Specifically one for PLO. I like PokerVT, but it's not what I need right now.I've got Jeff Hwang and Rolf Slotboom's books. Any other good ones?I've got the impression there are a few guys who work together a lot, talking hands, railing each other (via MSN or AIM or whatever). I want in! The guys in the LHE and Stud forums (Cappy, Checky, Antistuff) can vouch for me. My technical skills are very good, now I need to work on the feel stuff.And any other tips or ideas I am missing, let me know...Thanks,Hal

Sent you a pm.For training sites, I think Cardrunners is best for PLO content. I also have stox and Deuces Cracked, and though I think DC pwns all by far, they don't have that big of a plo library yet.Other tips for starting out...there is a TON of content in the first 15-20 pages of the Low Content thread. That's pretty much where I learned to play. Iggymcfly, Simo8Ball, Budbundy, BigLebowski taught me how to get better. Read that, imo.

Sent you a pm.For training sites, I think Cardrunners is best for PLO content. I also have stox and Deuces Cracked, and though I think DC pwns all by far, they don't have that big of a plo library yet.Other tips for starting out...there is a TON of content in the first 15-20 pages of the Low Content thread. That's pretty much where I learned to play. Iggymcfly, Simo8Ball, Budbundy, BigLebowski taught me how to get better. Read that, imo.
Thanks bdc. I have looked at DC a little, and at Stox a year ago. I don't need a 100 hours of content I suppose, since it would take me forever to watch all that. I will take a look at Cardrunners though.I play on AP/UB, just started playing on iPoker skins again, and on Stars when there is a bonus to clear. I do have a FullTilt account but haven't been using it - I lived rural until this past summer and the internet connection was satellite based. The lag was just a little too muych for FT and I timed out frequently.I'll read back the low content thread some. But when you say 15-20 pages, how many posts per page are you set to view?

for the LC thread, read from the beginning, not back from current. I just left it at whatever the normal setting is, I don't know how many posts per page. Nowadays it's just a place to bitch about beats or post retarded hands that don't need discussion. The early content will have much better strategic information.Like I say, I'm the biggest DC supporter out there, but if I were interested in plo specifically, I would choose cardrunners.

Mate , i am checking this thread and trying to write something for 3 days but i just can't find anything to say. If you can ask more specific questions , i think i can try to help at least.

^^^ What he said. Tell us more. Did you sign up for a training site? Are you playing hands? Do you have pokertracker omaha? What are your stats? What problems do you find yourself running in to? You have to do some of the work here dude.

You have to do some of the work here dude.
Oh indeed.Yes, I run PTO and PAHud. I read up on the game and started at .1/.25 and .25/.5 in the fall. Ran well, thought I was getting the hang of things, but my recent $800 downswing has mentally set me back a little.I know one thing to do is post hands of course. I did that a lot when I was playing LHE and was an active member of that forum. I was having PTO trouble until just recently - my replayer stopped working. After trying several different thing with PTO support, I ended up rebuilding my entire database, and now am functional again so I'll start posting hands here.Stats:26K hands (I know this isn't huge, but it's still plenty to get a decent idea) All 6 max BTWVPIP 25.0% from SB 52%PFR 6.3% (hmm, would have guessed that was higher. I do flat a lot from SB or IP)W$WSF 30%WTSD 22%W$SD 46%AF 2.8 (excluding PF)-4 BB/100In the 22.5K hands up until Christmas Day I was -0.24 BB/100, so I don't even wanna check how bad the last 3.5K hands were to run me down that far :(Haven't joined a new site yet, though did cancel PokerVT. Just back from a weekend in Vegas, so starting to get back at it online. Gunshy like I said from this downstreak...My most specific question is, for those of you who are winners at these levels (.25/.5 and .5/1) how did you learn? What was most valuable to your developement? And can I get in with the boys who are railing each other. And if an online training site helped, which one (if anyone other than bdc has an answer).
Oh indeed.Yes, I run PTO and PAHud. I read up on the game and started at .1/.25 and .25/.5 in the fall. Ran well, thought I was getting the hang of things, but my recent $800 downswing has mentally set me back a little.I know one thing to do is post hands of course. I did that a lot when I was playing LHE and was an active member of that forum. I was having PTO trouble until just recently - my replayer stopped working. After trying several different thing with PTO support, I ended up rebuilding my entire database, and now am functional again so I'll start posting hands here.Stats:26K hands (I know this isn't huge, but it's still plenty to get a decent idea) All 6 max BTWVPIP 25.0% from SB 52%PFR 6.3% (hmm, would have guessed that was higher. I do flat a lot from SB or IP)W$WSF 30%WTSD 22%W$SD 46%AF 2.8 (excluding PF)-4 BB/100In the 22.5K hands up until Christmas Day I was -0.24 BB/100, so I don't even wanna check how bad the last 3.5K hands were to run me down that far :club:
Raise more preflop. If you read the LC thread you'll see that phrase pop up quite frequently. I've probably written a bit about PLO stats in that thread too, but I wouldn't have a clue where. If I get chance in the next couple of days I'll search through.Basically you want to be raising at least half the hands you're playing. I haven't played PLO in a while, but I tended to converge to about 33/23ish, iggymcfly I think was ~38/20ish, BudBundy plays 20/13ish, and I really don't know how bdc plays now. He used to be ~30/3, but thankfully that didn't last long.You probably want your WWSF to be a fair amount higher too. Start 3betting more preflop, and use position more.
My most specific question is, for those of you who are winners at these levels (.25/.5 and .5/1) how did you learn? What was most valuable to your developement?
If I'm honest, I don't know. I never read anything about PLO and I hadn't played more than a few hundred hands, but I just started posting in here a few years ago when Bud was starting to play+post threads (we were the only two regular posters in this forum for probably 18 months, and I didn't even play the game).I guess my NLHE knowledge just transferred over pretty well, and when I got sick of NL I decided to play PLO. I stopped playing PLO last January after a (IIRC) >35 buyin downswing in <10k hands. PokerEV was the only thing that kept me sane.I don't really know what was most valuable. It has to just be a combination of posting+discussing hands, and playing.
And can I get in with the boys who are railing each other. And if an online training site helped, which one (if anyone other than bdc has an answer).
I don't play PLO much at all now but I'm always happy to discuss hands or stats or anything on AIM/MSN or whatever.Cardrunners is the best site for PLO. Great content, great instructors.

When i first started playing omaha I was going by a bit learned from watching two jimmy fricke vids on cardplayer pro which basically taught erroring on the over agro side preflop in late position and cbetting tons of flops. This was about 9 months ago though at stakes .10/.25 - .50/1.00. Alot of which was presented in these videos probably doesn't apply nowdays. I am only playing $25PLO today due to a 6 month run bad/break even stretch; and realizing appropriate bankrol requirements for PLO, like 50+ buyins not the 20 similar to NLHE i stared with. In the last six months I have read rolf slotboom's book as well as the jeff hwang articles on carplayer.com. Hwang has a couple good artilces on preflop hand selection, while rolfs book is mostly good only for short stacking; though, if playing low limits, a lot of tweaks have to be made to his strategy due to the general passive play at micro's. Best advice I could give would be read some artricles/books then play and see what does and does not work at micro/small limits. Looking at your stats, you have way too large a gap between VPIP and PFR. Also playing way too many hands OOP if SB VPIP is > 50.Also in for talking hands/railing, don't have any really serious online poker friends, but would be glad to find some.

duee i seriously anted to give tou serious adaive tonşgth but i went outt so i gto prestty drunrkk sso i caanttt relry answer yo you right wno. ist funjyy how i got mda drunk everryrhtime i go out. i hudoö stup that btu everyonee is throing out these pıatrites cus i am going to ESPANA so ist lek i HAVE TO get ddrunk cus i am het honour gest like guest f honoorr soo i have todrunk sooo ı ll gvie you an answer asss oon as spossible! ssisnce then beet wen yo have it abdd fold when you dnt and you shukd be fine!

duee i seriously anted to give tou serious adaive tonşgth but i went outt so i gto prestty drunrkk sso i caanttt relry answer yo you right wno. ist funjyy how i got mda drunk everryrhtime i go out. i hudoö stup that btu everyonee is throing out these pıatrites cus i am going to ESPANA so ist lek i HAVE TO get ddrunk cus i am het honour gest like guest f honoorr soo i have todrunk sooo ı ll gvie you an answer asss oon as spossible! ssisnce then beet wen yo have it abdd fold when you dnt and you shukd be fine!
thsi ^^