Mentality Of A Poker Player

Even though I rarely play anymore, except for a mtt or sng here and there online, I am still a poker player at heart. Today, as I was disposing of last nights dinner, I picked up one of my Financial Advisor magazines, and the first page I opened to had a large picture of a poker hand.The hand in question was 23457.The first thing that popped into my head is, "Oh, he has the nuts, I wonder what this article is about." Then I realized (we're talking in a matter of a second) that this was showing a losing hand and that the article was about transition and how some times it can be a bad thing.This was a blatant example, but I was curious as to maybe some other stories/examples of how your perception of something was skewed because of your poker/gambling knowledge. Or even the opposite, where people have no idea about poker/gambling and perceive things incorrectly because of it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23457 is the nuts?I know what you're saying though, I subconsciously incorporate a lot of what i've learned about MTT poker in my everyday tasks.Actually, the more I think about it the more I realize that I do it a lot.

23457 is the nuts?I know what you're saying though, I subconsciously incorporate a lot of what i've learned about MTT poker in my everyday tasks.Actually, the more I think about it the more I realize that I do it a lot.
It is in 2-7.a88d0.jpg
It is in 2-7.

I was at a stoplight a couple years ago (when I was playing live 2x a week in an O8 game) and the license plate in front of me was something like....7TJ 3Q2, my IMMEDIATE thought was..."OK, I need to have AK4(x) in my hand to scoop!"Pokeraments.......

I was at a stoplight a couple years ago (when I was playing live 2x a week in an O8 game) and the license plate in front of me was something like....7TJ 3Q2, my IMMEDIATE thought was..."OK, I need to have AK4(x) in my hand to scoop!"Pokeraments.......
I must be running bad, my first thought now is: Can I call his all in with 89 off now? He probably has AK

Whenever I get really frustrated, I tend to say that I'm on tilt rather than just saying I'm frustrated. Similarly, i tend to look at everything in +/- EV situations. For example, my curling team has just joined a new league and every week they sell 50/50 tickets at a 3 for $5 rate. *EVERY* week, this woman walks up and tries to sell us some 50/50 tickets, and *EVERY* week, I kindly decline. She starts pointing out how we might win it (at a 50% ROI, this is a very bad proposition). She then tries to guilt us into buying tickets (this helps pay for the league, yaddda, yadda...), of course, that is what the league fees are for at the start of the year and our entire team is a bunch of "poor grad students". She is soo persistant that I start feeling like I'm in "Office Space" and she is trying to talk me into "wearing more pieces of flair" instead of the minimum amount required (i.e. beyond the league fees)......I finally caved when I realized the -EV of the financial situation of buying a 50/50 ticket was offset by the +EV of not having to listen to her badger me any more... ...Who said the 3-year-old "keep whining until you get your way" approach was not a viable social strategy in the adult world.

Whenever I get really frustrated, I tend to say that I'm on tilt rather than just saying I'm frustrated. Similarly, i tend to look at everything in +/- EV situations. For example, my curling team has just joined a new league and every week they sell 50/50 tickets at a 3 for $5 rate. *EVERY* week, this woman walks up and tries to sell us some 50/50 tickets, and *EVERY* week, I kindly decline. She starts pointing out how we might win it (at a 50% ROI, this is a very bad proposition). She then tries to guilt us into buying tickets (this helps pay for the league, yaddda, yadda...), of course, that is what the league fees are for at the start of the year and our entire team is a bunch of "poor grad students". She is soo persistant that I start feeling like I'm in "Office Space" and she is trying to talk me into "wearing more pieces of flair" instead of the minimum amount required (i.e. beyond the league fees)......I finally caved when I realized the -EV of the financial situation of buying a 50/50 ticket was offset by the +EV of not having to listen to her badger me any more... ...Who said the 3-year-old "keep whining until you get your way" approach was not a viable social strategy in the adult world.
Isn't it a -50% ROI situation??? JUST SAYIN' B)

When my kids call me with life problems and I'm doing something, it takes me a few seconds to change my thinking and get in their mind frame.When they call me while in a SnG and want to know if they should call an all in with AQ from the cut off I am right at the table thinking about stack size and blinds.

When my kids call me with life problems and I'm doing something, it takes me a few seconds to change my thinking and get in their mind frame.When they call me while in a SnG and want to know if they should call an all in with AQ from the cut off I am right at the table thinking about stack size and blinds.
You need to teach their kids how to play AQ the correct way. Make raises that will earn some respect!
Merging on the highway... I speed up to get ahead of the guy, he matches my speed (a call). I raise, the guy speeds up even further (re-raise). Finally, I fold and fade into the lane behind him.
If someone speeds up as soon as you put your turn signal on to move into their lane, would that be considered a check-raise?

use the term "life tilt" discussing a football game

Merging on the highway... I speed up to get ahead of the guy, he matches my speed (a call). I raise, the guy speeds up even further (re-raise). Finally, I fold and fade into the lane behind him.
If someone speeds up as soon as you put your turn signal on to move into their lane, would that be considered a check-raise?
looooooooooool
that's when you pull out your gun so they know you have bullets. they'll fold.
Have you ever come over the top here?
WTF is curling?

I have said 'Ship it' in real life and my one of my friends thought I had turned my last name into my own catch phrase, as the first four letters of my last name are Ship.

In my classes, I'll usually see an acronymn for some sort of organization and immediately try to figure out it's poker-meaning.We also have an online system where prof's put up assignments, notes, quizzes, etc... and it's called BlackBoard, or BB for short. Realizing that BB doesn't mean Big Blind in these instances probably takes up about 5 minutes of my total week.

In my classes, I'll usually see an acronymn for some sort of organization and immediately try to figure out it's poker-meaning.We also have an online system where prof's put up assignments, notes, quizzes, etc... and it's called BlackBoard, or BB for short. Realizing that BB doesn't mean Big Blind in these instances probably takes up about 5 minutes of my total week.
Does your prof ever give you a walk on the BB?When you have the button, do you ever try to steal the prof's BB?When your prof tries to bring your attention to a new assignment which he has posted on the BB, do you ever complain that he is posting out of turn and needs to take back that assignment?