Shove Over Top On River Or Just Call?

I have seen way to many people at these levels try to slow play top pair and re-raise two pair like it's the nuts. Given the information stated, I put him on Jx. If he flips over KJ then that was a bad river for you. Both shoving and calling seem to be a good play. Maybe one more correct than the other. I'd probably shove seeing how he played it. Edit: Didn't realize this was a 4 day old 4 page post :club: Only read the first page.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen way to many people at these levels try to slow play top pair and re-raise two pair like it's the nuts. Given the information stated, I put him on Jx. If he flips over KJ then that was a bad river for you. Both shoving and calling seem to be a good play. Maybe one more correct than the other. I'd probably shove seeing how he played it. Edit: Didn't realize this was a 4 day old 2 page post :club: Only read the first page.
Whoa. And FYP.

I think what annoys (maybe too harsh of a word) Looshle is that it seems that some people that post in strat often times say they should fold certain hands to a shove or not reshove with certain hands because it's possible that Villain could have us beat with like Ak, AA, KK. The thinking here in strat is often waaaaaay too tight and people are worried about monsters under the bed way too often. I think looshle mentioned that in another thread about how some people are just way too weak/tight in thinking. And I have to agree.I used to come in here alot and I didn't think I learned too much, although there were some good points made, but it just seemed like the strat advice in here was just too weak. I've learned alot more by talking to other tourney players and feel that my game has become way better because of it. I have never talked to looshle, but I know that his game and advice is to be listened to and respected. Sure he may come off sounding too harsh at times, sorry looshle, but I think that's just him being frustrated with how easy certain moves are standard to him and not to the rest of us. Sometimes people way over-analyze stuff too much.If you guys want to get some more good strat advice you should venture out to General Poker, there's a thread there that some of MTTers post hands in there and people help in answering those questions. Check it out some time.Also, I'm not saying to not question what he says, but understand his answer first, then if you have a question or whatever, I'm pretty sure he'll be happy to help. Unless he's a complete grouch. :club:

I think what annoys (maybe too harsh of a word) Looshle is that it seems that some people that post in strat often times say they should fold certain hands to a shove or not reshove with certain hands because it's possible that Villain could have us beat with like Ak, AA, KK. The thinking here in strat is often waaaaaay too tight and people are worried about monsters under the bed way too often. I think looshle mentioned that in another thread about how some people are just way too weak/tight in thinking. And I have to agree.I used to come in here alot and I didn't think I learned too much, although there were some good points made, but it just seemed like the strat advice in here was just too weak. I've learned alot more by talking to other tourney players and feel that my game has become way better because of it. I have never talked to looshle, but I know that his game and advice is to be listened to and respected. Sure he may come off sounding too harsh at times, sorry looshle, but I think that's just him being frustrated with how easy certain moves are standard to him and not to the rest of us. Sometimes people way over-analyze stuff too much.If you guys want to get some more good strat advice you should venture out to General Poker, there's a thread there that some of MTTers post hands in there and people help in answering those questions. Check it out some time.Also, I'm not saying to not question what he says, but understand his answer first, then if you have a question or whatever, I'm pretty sure he'll be happy to help. Unless he's a complete grouch. :club:
QFTI'll say it the same as I said in the other thread. What he is giving is constructive criticism and should be taken as such. Just because he doesn't sugarcoat is doesn't mean he has anything against you. Take what he says and learn from it, it's really that simple. I thought about posting some hands in that thread in GenPo. Are my kind(micro donks) accepted or will I be ignored?
QFTI'll say it the same as I said in the other thread. What he is giving is constructive criticism and should be taken as such. Just because he doesn't sugarcoat is doesn't mean he has anything against you. Take what he says and learn from it, it's really that simple. I thought about posting some hands in that thread in GenPo. Are my kind(micro donks) accepted or will I be ignored?
I also play lowstakes. You should be able to post a question and get an answer.

Okay, folks, looshle's just trying to give constructive criticism. How is this comment constructive?

Shoving's EV in general"? what???? I'm sorry I had to be the one to tell you that you really don't know what you're talking about. Don't kill the messenger.
Expound, since I'm not getting the deeper logic from this sort of totally constructive criticism.I'm not sure what looshle's frustration with weak-tight play has to do with his disagreement with 'shoving is EV'. I'm sure there's an argument to be made against 'shoving is EV'. I'd rather he explain his POV with some degree of detail that sit here and give me the typical poker forum garbage about how I don't know anything about poker because I don't see things his way. How is that garbage constructive? Don't kid yourselves. He's a good player taking a bad attitude towards a discussion that he has the capability to add positive value to.
Okay, folks, looshle's just trying to give constructive criticism. How is this comment constructive?Expound, since I'm not getting the deeper logic from this sort of totally constructive criticism.I'm not sure what looshle's frustration with weak-tight play has to do with his disagreement with 'shoving is EV'. I'm sure there's an argument to be made against 'shoving is EV'. I'd rather he explain his POV with some degree of detail that sit here and give me the typical poker forum garbage about how I don't know anything about poker because I don't see things his way. How is that garbage constructive? Don't kid yourselves. He's a good player taking a bad attitude towards a discussion that he has the capability to add positive value to.
No maybe you just got defensive when I told you you were wrong a few times and took it as "being attacked unprovoked"You mention about shoving is +ev in general and it's just a pretty dumb statement because every hand is a different situation. I'm sorry if that offends you.I guess it's contsructive in the fact that I'm telling you aren't close to as good as you think you are. A lot of your posts are more answers than questions, and decent amount of your answers are wrong. In one of Slackers threads, you said you'd fold 85o getting 3-1 which is pretty bad. A lot of people can't look at themselves objectively, especially in the poker world, and it leads to a lot of bad lifelong players. I had some HUGE leaks that I let go on for way too long because I wasn't objective with myself. If I tell you that you're wrong, you probably are. I'm not saying I'm the greatest but I try to not give answers in situations that aren't clear cut. You can either get defensive and tell me that I'm attacking you or you can suck it up, stop being such a sally, and maybe admit you are wrong in some instances. It seems most of the time you would rather argue your initial side instead of actually caring what the correct play is. I honestly don't care what you think because hopefully there are alot of people reading the forum who are actually trying to get better, which is more than I can say for you.

What's funny is that, in the 85o thread in question, I actually admitted I was initially wrong.And yes, I do admit in other threads when I realize my initial judgment was incorrect, but keep up the selective memory and insist it never happens, especially when you're keep deep in an ongoing treatise on why I will never be good at poker.When I get in a tough spot where I honestly have no idea how to proceed, I'll be more than happy to post a thread about it. Meanwhile, in the future, if you believe I'm wrong about something, you're welcome to explain with some detail what makes my decision wrong, provided you can stay away from the pointless, counterproductive trash talk.

I'm officially going to call you the PC police. Lighten up :club:
I know that's the way people who are not as far to the left as I am politically will frame it. To me it's just speaking up and saying when I think something's offensive. I like humour, but not that which comes at the expense of historically oppressed minority groups (which includes women). I asked my wife what she thought, and she felt it was very offensive to women, that these kinds of things wouldn't be tolerated if someone was like "hey, don't be such a Negro" or something like that, but it's okay for guys to call each other "bitch" or "sally" or whatever if they are seen as somehow weak or lacking in courage. You want courage? Try having a baby. We should all take our hats off to that one, my friend.
I know that's the way people who are not as far to the left as I am politically will frame it. To me it's just speaking up and saying when I think something's offensive. I like humour, but not that which comes at the expense of historically oppressed minority groups (which includes women). I asked my wife what she thought, and she felt it was very offensive to women, that these kinds of things wouldn't be tolerated if someone was like "hey, don't be such a Negro" or something like that, but it's okay for guys to call each other "bitch" or "sally" or whatever if they are seen as somehow weak or lacking in courage. You want courage? Try having a baby. We should all take our hats off to that one, my friend.
Ask your wife for your balls back.
Hey, keep the animals out of this.
Quit being such a sally.
Ask your wife for your balls back.
That's mature. Goes to show that there are different kinds of intelligence, and while you possess a great amount of at least one kind, you're apparently a little short in the social intelligence department.