Best Defensive Players Today

Let me summarize. The casual fans only pay attention “where amazing happens.” The die-hard fans pay attention no matter what happens. TV needs the casual fan for ratings/money. Therefore, TV needs to make the ordinary extraordinary. Yes?But that’s standard operating procedure. Everything these days has to be “the best ever” and it’s not limited to the sports world. However, just because someone or something receives a ton of hype does not automatically mean the hype is not warranted. Lebron surely gets a ton of coverage, but at the same time there’s been a ton of in-depth analysis by “die-hards” that show he is the best player in the game. You can’t dismiss someone simply because they are the beneficiary of more media coverage than anyone else. You mentioned Tiger as a good example. Is Tiger not clearly the best in the world?

Let me summarize. The casual fans only pay attention “where amazing happens.” The die-hard fans pay attention no matter what happens. TV needs the casual fan for ratings/money. Therefore, TV needs to make the ordinary extraordinary. Yes?But that’s standard operating procedure. Everything these days has to be “the best ever” and it’s not limited to the sports world. However, just because someone or something receives a ton of hype does not automatically mean the hype is not warranted. Lebron surely gets a ton of coverage, but at the same time there’s been a ton of in-depth analysis by “die-hards” that show he is the best player in the game. You can’t dismiss someone simply because they are the beneficiary of more media coverage than anyone else. You mentioned Tiger as a good example. Is Tiger not clearly the best in the world?
Yes, it does have to do with everyone thinking the latest is the best, but thats not always true.And Tiger is so far more dominate in his sport than Lebron is it's not even close. For Lebron to dominate like Tiger he would have had to have been MVP every season he has been in the league, been all NBA defensive first team every year, defensive player of the year every year, All star MVP every year, and won at least 3 NBA titles.Lebron wishes he was on Tiger's level, so does pretty much every other athlete in the world. The NBA doesn't lose over 60% of it's viewership when Lebron isn't on.
Yes, it does have to do with everyone thinking the latest is the best, but thats not always true.And Tiger is so far more dominate in his sport than Lebron is it's not even close. For Lebron to dominate like Tiger he would have had to have been MVP every season he has been in the league, been all NBA defensive first team every year, defensive player of the year every year, All star MVP every year, and won at least 3 NBA titles.Lebron wishes he was on Tiger's level, so does pretty much every other athlete in the world. The NBA doesn't lose over 60% of it's viewership when Lebron isn't on.
it's a team sport that's impossible - even Chamberlain didn't do it when he aveaged 50 -25
it's a team sport that's impossible - even Chamberlain didn't do it when he aveaged 50 -25
It's proving a point about how far Tiger is ahead of his competition, team sport or not.Tiger beats his competition playing with injuries that most people wouldn't get out of bed with. He dominates pretty much at will.Nice that LJ almost had a triple double last night, if you count turnovers. Oh and that mid range game I keep saying Lebron doesn't have... I appreciate him proving me right last night when he tried to win the game repeatedly by bricking up mid-long range jumpers. I wonder why everyone on sports talk today is asking why he didn't drive the rim. If I was his coach I'd be asking the same thing, that's not his game.Lebron isn't ahead of everyone in the NBA, he is one of the frontrunners in a pack of very good players. Tiger is so far ahead of his competition you can become a hero just by playing close to his level when he is hurt.
It's proving a point about how far Tiger is ahead of his competition, team sport or not.Tiger beats his competition playing with injuries that most people wouldn't get out of bed with. He dominates pretty much at will.Nice that LJ almost had a triple double last night, if you count turnovers. Oh and that mid range game I keep saying Lebron doesn't have... I appreciate him proving me right last night when he tried to win the game repeatedly by bricking up mid-long range jumpers. I wonder why everyone on sports talk today is asking why he didn't drive the rim. If I was his coach I'd be asking the same thing, that's not his game.Lebron isn't ahead of everyone in the NBA, he is one of the frontrunners in a pack of very good players. Tiger is so far ahead of his competition you can become a hero just by playing close to his level when he is hurt.
Here's the truth about last nightLebron was sick as a dog, couldn't breath or get any elevation, which is why he was missing layups and committing turnovers - probably the same cold that has left Ben Wallace on the bench the last two nights"This was my worst game of the season," said James, who finished with 28 points while playing with a cold. "I was sick, and when I get sick I miss layups and put-backs."It's tough out there when you can't breathe. But they did a good job defensively on me."Losing Delonte West didn't helpThe team was stuck at the airport in Chicago all last night and didn't get into town until like 5 AMLebron showed up 2 hours earlier than usual for tonight's game to shoot jumpers because he was upset about his bad game last night (Despite this update from the Plain Dealer - LeBron is still not feeling well, maybe worse than last night)How can you take such joy in criticizing a guy like that? He never gets into trouble. He never says anything obnoxious. He always talks about team and winnningI know I know - MJ always had moster nights when he was sick - whatever - Lebron despite the amount of hype he has gotten is one of the good guys in sports. 6 years of constant media surveillance and the worst thing he's ever done is wear a Yankees hat to an Indians gameHe could wear a Celtics jersey during a game against the Celtics - I'm honored that I get to watch him play night after night
Even more amazing when you consider Wilt was 6 inches taller than anyone else in league.
6 years of constant media surveillance and the worst thing he's ever done is wear a Yankees hat to an Indians game
Yea, that Hummer that just showed up at his house when he was in high school proves he always takes the high moral road. Stop selling me that he is some sort of super good guy who wouldn't step on an ant. He has PR people telling him what to do and say all the time, for all you know he could be thinking about bricking in some chauffeurs mouth and video taping it... oh wait that's Eddie Curry. Either way, you don't know him, stop trying to vouch for his character like you have been around him since he was potty trained.
it's pretty sad that no one has mentioned Ron Artest. he is #1 in my book.
Yea, he could be in the top ten for sure. I'd probably take him over Shane Battier now that I think about it.
So guilty until proven innocent?NiceFess up did Lebron bang your woman or what?
You really think he never took anything he wasn't supposed to? Never got paid before he was a professional... you really think he is just the absolute perfect person don't you?He never banged my woman, because he would have trouble using his dick the way your mouth is attached to it. I'm sure this love fest you have with him will go out the door the minute he signs with the Knicks or whatever team in a real media center he goes with. After all it's going to be a lot easier to reach that goal of being the first billionaire athlete somewhere besides Cleveland. I can't wait to see you bad mouth him after that, though I'm sure you will say something dumb for a while like "I just don't want to see his talent wasted" or something along those lines until the realization that he isn't the perfect role model/person/athlete/whatever you imagine he is hits home.Then you can be jaded about him and latch on to whoever the new "next greatest thing" is.

My favorite baseball player is Manny Ramirez - whatever he does he doesThe hate you have for him though is amazing - what did he ever do to you besides get hyped and be the best basketball player at 18 19 20 21 22 23 and 24 of all time?

My favorite baseball player is Manny Ramirez - whatever he does he doesThe hate you have for him though is amazing - what did he ever do to you besides get hyped and be the best basketball player at 18 19 20 21 22 23 and 24 of all time?
I don't care what you think Manny has to do with this, when you start posts like you do about Lebron in the baseball forum I'll come make fun of you for that too. It's hilarious if you think he was ever the best basketball player at any age. Like you witnessed the greatest players ever at every age and hung on their jocks like you do James. Learn to understand the difference in between various periods of history in the sport and rules that were in place during them, or keep believing the retardedness that you think he is the greatest whatever aged basketball player ever. I can name so many players that were better at any given age it's silly. He is just what is hot now and because he plays for your "current" home team you feel the need to champion some bullshit cause for him trying to make people believe things that are not true. Your irrational love of a guy you don't know and the way you defend him like he is your personal lord and savior is pretty close to SS24 and Josh Cribbs levels. Watching him bail on your team and seeing you descend into into a fit of uncontrollable hatred when he isn't a Cav anymore will be better than listening to Koop come up with premade excuses for Alabama choking in their first BCS game. I'm a patient guy, he is a free agent in what... 18 months or so?
I don't care what you think Manny has to do with this, when you start posts like you do about Lebron in the baseball forum I'll come make fun of you for that too. It's hilarious if you think he was ever the best basketball player at any age. Like you witnessed the greatest players ever at every age and hung on their jocks like you do James. Learn to understand the difference in between various periods of history in the sport and rules that were in place during them, or keep believing the retardedness that you think he is the greatest whatever aged basketball player ever. I can name so many players that were better at any given age it's silly. He is just what is hot now and because he plays for your "current" home team you feel the need to champion some bullshit cause for him trying to make people believe things that are not true. Your irrational love of a guy you don't know and the way you defend him like he is your personal lord and savior is pretty close to SS24 and Josh Cribbs levels. Watching him bail on your team and seeing you descend into into a fit of uncontrollable hatred when he isn't a Cav anymore will be better than listening to Koop come up with premade excuses for Alabama choking in their first BCS game. I'm a patient guy, he is a free agent in what... 18 months or so?
my irrational love of him is nowhere near your irrational hate
my irrational love of him is nowhere near your irrational hate
I don't hate him. I just don't hold an irrational man crush on him.I do however hate the people like you who make stupid and false claims to how good he is.

Lebron DID take the Vienna Boys Choir to the NBA finals one year. And that's something even the Legend Himself Michael Jordan never accomplished. I mean.. that Cavs team was *baaaaaad*. That was miles beyond Iverson taking the Sixers to that Finals against the Lakers. Lebron had *nobody* to help him out on that team. He had Daniel Gibson and.. ummm.. Big Z? Larry flippin Hughes? I think the majority (myself included) are just bitter cuz we get stuck with so many LBJ games on TNT/ESPN/NBC that are painful to watch. No offense, but the Cavs aren't exactly excitement, incorporated. They are in that SA Spurs/Pittsburgh Steelers vein of "grind it out, finished prodcut be damned" sports entertainment. Doesn't mean that they aren't dang good, just as thrilling as watching paint dry.

Lebron DID take the Vienna Boys Choir to the NBA finals one year. And that's something even the Legend Himself Michael Jordan never accomplished. I mean.. that Cavs team was *baaaaaad*. That was miles beyond Iverson taking the Sixers to that Finals against the Lakers. Lebron had *nobody* to help him out on that team. He had Daniel Gibson and.. ummm.. Big Z? Larry flippin Hughes? I think the majority (myself included) are just bitter cuz we get stuck with so many LBJ games on TNT/ESPN/NBC that are painful to watch. No offense, but the Cavs aren't exactly excitement, incorporated. They are in that SA Spurs/Pittsburgh Steelers vein of "grind it out, finished prodcut be damned" sports entertainment. Doesn't mean that they aren't dang good, just as thrilling as watching paint dry.
I agree with that and I've always wished that he could run free - i actually have said many times I wish that he was with a team that showed off his talentswith that said - at full strength they are entertaining this year - Delonte West was playing great as is Mo Williams - and the rest who used to be front line weaknesses are now bench strength
Lebron DID take the Vienna Boys Choir to the NBA finals one year.
Be more impressive if the Eastern Conference that year wasn't the absolute worst version of a conference maybe in the history of the league. That was the year people were claiming only 4 teams from the East even deserved to make the playoffs and wanted the whole system changed.
I agree with that and I've always wished that he could run free - i actually have said many times I wish that he was with a team that showed off his talentswith that said - at full strength they are entertaining this year - Delonte West was playing great as is Mo Williams - and the rest who used to be front line weaknesses are now bench strength
I don't agree with Cappy that they were quite that boring, it's a matter of style and they played defense first. Some people enjoy that, but most people would rather see an uptempo style offensive game.
I don't agree with Cappy that they were quite that boring, it's a matter of style and they played defense first. Some people enjoy that, but most people would rather see an uptempo style offensive game.
I agree with Cappy. The Spurs are 'boring' but I can watch them, however, unless you're a Cavs fan I don't know how people watch them, even Lebron isn't aesthetically pleasing to watch. I would bet that there's atleast 100 players I would rather watch on a nightly basis than Lebron in fact. And no, it has nothing to do with Kobe and/or the Lakers, it's that his J is ugly, and I don't like the way he drives to the basket, even most of his dunks are ugly.
  • 3 weeks later...

Are we seeing the return of the old Samuel Dalembert?It's almost like Elton's injury has motivated the guy...or I'm hoping anyways in my fantasy league.