I do agree that trying to eat uber healthy organic food from Whole Foods on a regular basis is completely out of the price range of low income households. I do also believe, though, that as some have pointed out, grocery shopping is cheaper than KFC, Taco Bell, and McDonald's. The problem is much bigger in America than anywhere else and a lot of that is related to the cultural differences. There are loads of poor people in other parts of the world, but they don't share the same obesity issues as you see in America I don't think. The government and school system could actually do A LOT to help change the fast food culture in America. Get soda machines out of the schools, switch to healthier food options in the cafeterias in schools. In the doc Super Size Me they actually showed how it is done in some schools with fresh, healthier food choices. Not only were the kids healthier, but they also did better in school.
Umm the goverment WANTS its kids unhealthy .. lower population is there goal and all the chemicals they put in there food is doing a good job of that .i am not intelligant enough to debate this so dont question me :club:
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Vegetables, rice and lean cuts of healthier meat than beef are relatively affordable.At the risk of sounding crass... if you're so poor that buying such staples is out of your budget, you shouldn't be having kids. Poverty and raising kids in it is certainly a big issue that can produce obese children... though that belies the point that there's a large proportion (pun not intended) of obese Americans that have the means to easily get by... and simply choose not to be responsible with their health, diet and lifestyle.

if you're so poor that buying such staples is out of your budget, you shouldn't be having kids.
See, now why do you have to go bringing God into the mix. God wants and needs you to bear children. Believe and you will never be without.
Vegetables, rice and lean cuts of healthier meat than beef are relatively affordable.At the risk of sounding crass... if you're so poor that buying such staples is out of your budget, you shouldn't be having kids. Poverty and raising kids in it is certainly a big issue that can produce obese children... though that belies the point that there's a large proportion (pun not intended) of obese Americans that have the means to easily get by... and simply choose not to be responsible with their health, diet and lifestyle.
Agree completely
why arnt all of you writing your congressmen about seat belts? why let some government tell you what you have to do in your own car? well, its because when some idiot crashes and goes through his windshield we all pay for it. its also not good for him. so we make them wear their seat belts despite the reduced freedom.
Well, I'm opposed to mandatory seat belts (although I wear mine 100% of the time), but I think a better policy would be to deregulate the insurance industry so that companies could offer two types of coverage: one, get in an accident with no seatbelt and we cover you, and two, get in an accident with no seatbelt and we don't cover you.End of problem.
Or, they choose to do as they please, OR, they are mentally ill, OR, they have a medical problem OR, etc. Now the poor can't have children? What if they weren't poor, and now they are, do we yank the kids away? I swear to many people in this thread just talk out of there ass with no regard for reality, none whatsoever. As far as seat belts go, there is a law about it, that doesn't stop you from doing it. I have no problem with the law, and wear a seatbelt if I want to, depending on if I need my shirt to not get wrinkled. Literally I base it off of that, because I can. I I get caught I pay the fine. Just an extra price to do as I please.

Sadly our system sides with the parent's rights more often than not. That's why people can say "oh we're going to rehab and counseling" and the system gives the kids back into situations where they shouldn't have been in the first place. I don't think you have to worry all that much about the "fat police". CPS has enough on it's plate and too few foster parents to do anything more than counsel about fat kids. If I had my way when a parent is convicted of physically abusing their child, said parent should be sterilized to keep from having any more kids to abuse. My daughter's bio mom shouldn't have had any more children but she did. And said child is a basket case because unlike my daughter the bio mom decided to keep her. Her sister had 3 kids taken away from her and 2 more babies taken away at birth because they were born addicted to crack. Her sister shouldn't have been able to have any more babies after the first crack baby was taken away in my opinion. I think it would sure cut down on repeat offenses. But I'm sure that LMD will have something to say about it being a parent's right to have as many crack babies as they want.

Or, they choose to do as they please, OR, they are mentally ill, OR, they have a medical problem OR, etc. Now the poor can't have children? What if they weren't poor, and now they are, do we yank the kids away? I swear to many people in this thread just talk out of there ass with no regard for reality, none whatsoever. As far as seat belts go, there is a law about it, that doesn't stop you from doing it. I have no problem with the law, and wear a seatbelt if I want to, depending on if I need my shirt to not get wrinkled. Literally I base it off of that, because I can. I I get caught I pay the fine. Just an extra price to do as I please.
Electric_Iron.jpg
Well, I'm opposed to mandatory seat belts
I'm opposed to laws that make people wear seatbelts. I support laws that force automakers to install seatbelts in their cars. This is a microcosm for my political philosophy.
I'm opposed to laws that make people wear seatbelts. I support laws that force automakers to install seatbelts in their cars. This is a microcosm for my political philosophy.
I can sort of see this, actually. There is a presumption that businesses will act in accord with standard safe practices. So you can't make a circular saw without guards on it, you can make a lawnmower that shoots shards into the owner's legs, etc. There is an argument to be made that you can't build a car that is ridiculously unsafe by not including seatbelts. It's a gray area, and I'm not 100% convinced this falls onto the "need a law" side of the line, but it is a strong argument.
Sadly our system sides with the parent's rights more often than not. That's why people can say "oh we're going to rehab and counseling" and the system gives the kids back into situations where they shouldn't have been in the first place. I don't think you have to worry all that much about the "fat police". CPS has enough on it's plate and too few foster parents to do anything more than counsel about fat kids. If I had my way when a parent is convicted of physically abusing their child, said parent should be sterilized to keep from having any more kids to abuse. My daughter's bio mom shouldn't have had any more children but she did. And said child is a basket case because unlike my daughter the bio mom decided to keep her. Her sister had 3 kids taken away from her and 2 more babies taken away at birth because they were born addicted to crack. Her sister shouldn't have been able to have any more babies after the first crack baby was taken away in my opinion. I think it would sure cut down on repeat offenses. But I'm sure that LMD will have something to say about it being a parent's right to have as many crack babies as they want.
Tough to have any sort of productive conversation with a person who thinks sterilization is the way to go as a blanket policy, for child abuse. So much for experience making you wiser.
Well, I'm opposed to mandatory seat belts (although I wear mine 100% of the time), but I think a better policy would be to deregulate the insurance industry so that companies could offer two types of coverage: one, get in an accident with no seatbelt and we cover you, and two, get in an accident with no seatbelt and we don't cover you.End of problem.
i dont disagree with this, not completely at least. there is still the fact that more people will die if unforced to wear seatbelts. so you would agree to have a setup where people dont get the same medical coverage if they are fat? that sounds fine to me too.
As far as seat belts go, there is a law about it, that doesn't stop you from doing it. I have no problem with the law, and wear a seatbelt if I want to, depending on if I need my shirt to not get wrinkled. Literally I base it off of that, because I can. I I get caught I pay the fine. Just an extra price to do as I please.
thank you for this worthless post. there is nothing stopping you from doing anything, except the consequences afterwards. there are laws against murdering but people still do it... i dont know why i bother pointing these obvious things out to you...
Tough to have any sort of productive conversation with a person who thinks sterilization is the way to go as a blanket policy, for child abuse. So much for experience making you wiser.
And our present system has done so well in dealing with the problem. I hate to sound like Scram but in the instance of convicted child abusers I do believe sterilization is an idea worth considering.
And our present system has done so well in dealing with the problem. I hate to sound like Scram but in the instance of convicted child abusers I do believe sterilization is an idea worth considering.
If that idea doesn't frighten you in the context of this thread, then you are a scary person. Look where this thread has gone, including the idea that letting your kids eat fast food is child abuse. So now the Federal Sterilization Police sit in the parking lot at McDonalds, waiting for a parent with a fat kid to stop in?
If that idea doesn't frighten you in the context of this thread, then you are a scary person. Look where this thread has gone, including the idea that letting your kids eat fast food is child abuse. So now the Federal Sterilization Police sit in the parking lot at McDonalds, waiting for a parent with a fat kid to stop in?
The only people who created that idea are the people like LMD who wanted to argue against something no one was arguing for.
The only people who created that idea are the people like LMD who wanted to argue against something no one was arguing for.
Of course allowing children to eat horribly unhealthy food on an abnormally regular basis is abuse. That's pretty obvious. That doesn't necessarily mean that the state should be allowed to do anything about it.
Ummm... no. I argued against what the eventual end result would be (arbitrary law, taxation) and just watched the mess unfold as various people tried to justify a position that "something must be done to stop the fatties." It's fairly easy to predict how little minds think.
thank you for this worthless post. there is nothing stopping you from doing anything, except the consequences afterwards. there are laws against murdering but people still do it... i dont know why i bother pointing these obvious things out to you...
Except one is also morally wrong, and harms others. No difference, though, I agree completely.
Of course allowing children to eat horribly unhealthy food on an abnormally regular basis is abuse. That's pretty obvious. That doesn't necessarily mean that the state should be allowed to do anything about it.
I'm not saying to what extent or whatever with that, I'm just getting sick of people like LMD putting words in other people's mouth's and massively exaggerating every body else's point of view. Him and Henry act as if everyone who argues against their so called 'freedoms' are a registered facist who's fighting for a return to 1984 society.
Ummm... no. I argued against what the eventual end result would be (arbitrary law, taxation) and just watched the mess unfold as various people tried to justify a position that "something must be done to stop the fatties." It's fairly easy to predict how little minds think.
http://foxwoodsfiend.com/?p=346