Brian Burke: Building Of A Champion

I understand your thinking, but couldn't you just as easily move that same "minor leaguer not in your plans" for a draft pick as well, possible higher than a 6th? I think the pick is easy to get back.
I disagree. Draft picks USED to be easy to get. Now they're gold. I would have traded Boyd Deveraux, or Mark Bell, or ANYONE not in the big club plans before a draft pick. And you can't trade Boyd Deveraux for a draft pick.
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand your thinking, but couldn't you just as easily move that same "minor leaguer not in your plans" for a draft pick as well, possible higher than a 6th? I think the pick is easy to get back.
yes...this is like one of those trades, well you have to trade something, you cant just give him away..Doesnt get much cheaper than a CONDITIONAL 2010 6th round pick....Only hockey forum guys like us can analyze a trade like this....
I disagree. Draft picks USED to be easy to get. Now they're gold. I would have traded Boyd Deveraux, or Mark Bell, or ANYONE not in the big club plans before a draft pick. And you can't trade Boyd Deveraux for a draft pick.
Thanks to the genious new CBA trades are impossible to make...Mark bell makes over $2 million
I guess I was thinking more of a younger, cheaper player who you no longer feel is in your long term plans, like say a Ondrus/Foster. Guys like Deveraux and Bell have probably priced themselves out of the NHL for now.More than that, and I might be overvaluing a guy like May in the room/on the ice having never played the sport professionally, but I gotta believe the right atmosphere/right organization really helps certain young players develop better.I am a big believer that Detroit's success has a lot to do with the way they DEVELOP players, and not necessarily the way they draft them. You still have to draft the right guy, but being in that organization gives guys like Hudler/Franzen a better chance for success. Hopefully for the Leafs, May is the start of setting the organization on the right path of developing players, after using their draft picks wisely.
  • 2 weeks later...
I am a big believer that Detroit's success has a lot to do with the way they DEVELOP players, and not necessarily the way they draft them.
A little of A, a little of B... but you are probably right.
In case it was missed here is another trade that Burke managed to pull off yesterday...Ryan Hamilton is a solid AHL player...Robbie Earl see ya buddy..http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=264139&lid...s=headlines_nhl
But the Leafs already have a lot of solid AHL players.
  • 1 month later...

Today's moves:Pick up Martin Gerber off waivers...no risk, UFA..Good movePick up Eric Reitz off waivers...Pick up enough shit, something will stickAntropov to Rangers for a 2nd and a conditional...Obviously couldnt get a first like reported, however for a UFA that is a pretty good deal...Moore to Buffalo for a 2nd rounder..Another UFA ..Good pick upAll in all..No blockbuster but stockpiling picks for nobody off our roster(UFAs) good move.Way to go fearless leader

The bigger job will come at the draft and free agency.Looking forward to that part.

Today's moves:Pick up Martin Gerber off waivers...no risk, UFA..Good movePick up Eric Reitz off waivers...Pick up enough shit, something will stickAntropov to Rangers for a 2nd and a conditional...Obviously couldnt get a first like reported, however for a UFA that is a pretty good deal...Moore to Buffalo for a 2nd rounder..Another UFA ..Good pick upAll in all..No blockbuster but stockpiling picks for nobody off our roster(UFAs) good move.Way to go fearless leader
You are missing oneKolzig, Heward. Rogers 4th round pick from TB for Petiotsalary dumps for TB as Kolzig and Heward are probablty out for the year. I think it saved the lightning like 500-600K by making the deal.
  • 4 months later...

This thread needs a bump...Burke has shown what a great executive he is..From the signing of solid college prospects like Bozak and Hanson, to luring the best goalie in Sweden to Toronto and putting together an amazing defensive back end.Burke has done a great job, but my favourite moment from Burke was at the draft. Every GM went up there and thanked Montreal and tried to say a few words in French...NOT BURKE.He stood there and had a smile on his face while getting booed...It was like he was thinking " boo me morons, we will see who will laugh last" He even said something like I dont give a rats ass about what the people in Montreal think.Thank you Brian Burke, thank you for giving us hope again by building a solid foundation .....I was getting lonely on the bandwagon, its getting crowded again...

I hope Burke trades/dumps Van Ryn and Frogren, keeps Kaberle and White, then tries to sign Kaberle to an extension next summer.The leafs need the puck moving presence of Kaberle, and the PP skills of white or else they'll have a very one dimensional blueline. I also hope Tlusty gets a permanent spot in the top 6 to see if he can make it as an NHL player.

I hope Burke trades/dumps Van Ryn and Frogren, keeps Kaberle and White, then tries to sign Kaberle to an extension next summer.The leafs need the puck moving presence of Kaberle, and the PP skills of white or else they'll have a very one dimensional blueline. I also hope Tlusty gets a permanent spot in the top 6 to see if he can make it as an NHL player.
I dont disagree...There is a misconception out there that the Leafs have no front line scorers and thats what the problem was. The Leafs finished in the top 10 in goals in the NHL. I love Kaberle and at his contract he is one of the best dman in the league.Another signing Niklas Wallin signs a one year deal.
Wrong.It's a different Wallin. Not the defenseman (thankfully).This Wallin was a team mate of Gustavsson in Europe.
yes i know exactly who it is...Frogren, Wallin and Monster all teammates.
I dont disagree...There is a misconception out there that the Leafs have no front line scorers and thats what the problem was. The Leafs finished in the top 10 in goals in the NHL. I love Kaberle and at his contract he is one of the best dman in the league.Another signing Niklas Wallin signs a one year deal.
yes i know exactly who it is...Frogren, Wallin and Monster all teammates.
forgive zach for thinking you didn't know who they signed.unfortunately his first name is rickard.
forgive zach for thinking you didn't know who they signed.unfortunately his first name is rickard.
lol..yes i just noticed that..Rickard , Niklas, mats...Whats the difference..He is a Leafs and he is good.. :club:
What they need to do is have Jason Blake get amnesian, think its 2006 for the first half of the season so that Burkie can trade him and get something legitimate, and then somehow move that awesome Jeff Finger contract. I wouldn't move Kaberle, either, because in 2 years, when you have the team you want, you're going to be saying, 'gosh, I wish we had Tomas Kaberle'. Although I think his contract is up in 2 years, so maybe they can trade him, but Burkie can give him a non-tampering wink wink nudge nugdge, 'hey, comrade, come back in 2 years, sound good? okay!'Right, Mats? Thats how you help a team... ...:club:
  • 1 year later...

Brian Burke: "I drive the bus, I decide who gets on the bus ... If the bus is stuck in the ditch, then ultimately that’s my responsibility."