This Is What Happens When You Get Impatient

Well, I had run $5.00 up to $120.00 since mid-August, was getting frustrated reading about everyone else's success so I decided to take some chances way out of my bankroll against my better judgement. Well, I blew $100 dollars in buyins in a couple nights and am now back down to $20.00 and have to start the grind all over again. This is what it looks like when you don't stick to what is working for you.mygraph1-5-09.pngHopefully in a few months I'll have another upward slope and I'll post it. Have to keep telling myself that it takes time and quit trying to rush things and they will come when you least expect it.

i know the feeling, i deposited $100 in july, ran it up to about $1100 by november playing mostly $5.50 and $11 2 and 3 table sng's, $4.40's and smaller tourneys(360 max entrants, $22 buyins that only had 250-300 entrants). thought i had everything all figured out and was on my way to some big pay days. 2 months later i'm down to a little over $400 after taking some shots at bigger buyins and too many mtt's with big fields. i guess it's the nature of the beast though...i've already decided to drop back down to the $5.50's and build my roll back up to be able to take more shots at the large fields/payouts that come with.

i know the feeling, i deposited $100 in july, ran it up to about $1100 by november playing mostly $5.50 and $11 2 and 3 table sng's, $4.40's and smaller tourneys(360 max entrants, $22 buyins that only had 250-300 entrants). thought i had everything all figured out and was on my way to some big pay days. 2 months later i'm down to a little over $400 after taking some shots at bigger buyins and too many mtt's with big fields. i guess it's the nature of the beast though...i've already decided to drop back down to the $5.50's and build my roll back up to be able to take more shots at the large fields/payouts that come with.
Yeah, I was playing strictly 1.20 SNG's with the occasional 5.50 mixed in and only MTT's under $5 and was making progress nicely, just got a little impatient and played some $11.00 SNG's and MTT's and didn't run good in those and paid the price. Only good thing is I stopped with enough left to pick up and continue back at the $1.20's. Lesson learned, the fact that I knew better in the first place is what makes me want to kick myself.

Just for the record:The people that you see posting their successful graphs and whatnot do it because they have taken the grind up from the bottom using good BR management to ensure that we don't go broke. Next time, just stay on that horse and take smaller shots when your BR will allow it.

Just for the record:The people that you see posting their successful graphs and whatnot do it because they have taken the grind up from the bottom using good BR management to ensure that we don't go broke. Next time, just stay on that horse and take smaller shots when your BR will allow it.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have no doubt that I can rebound from this, just have to learn from my mistake and continue grinding.
Yeah, I was playing strictly 1.20 SNG's with the occasional 5.50 mixed in and only MTT's under $5 and was making progress nicely, just got a little impatient and played some $11.00 SNG's and MTT's and didn't run good in those and paid the price. Only good thing is I stopped with enough left to pick up and continue back at the $1.20's. Lesson learned, the fact that I knew better in the first place is what makes me want to kick myself.
Play shlhe and start at the .05/.10 level. You could be back to 100 bucks within 5K hands, which isn't all that difficult to play once you are comfy 3-4 tabling.
Play shlhe and start at the .05/.10 level. You could be back to 100 bucks within 5K hands, which isn't all that difficult to play once you are comfy 3-4 tabling.
Is 200 BB sufficient enough to play that level? If so, I'm not really that experienced with Limit Hold-em. Are the players that bad to think I can beat the game with not much prior experience with Limit?
Indeed. I'm such a BR nit, I don't even know what a shot is anymore.

Went through the same twice since August. Fortunately, it was with the money i won from a freeroll and the damage was pretty limited. I guess it was worthwhile lesson you can't learn from a book.

The massive drop at the beginning of the chart was me playing out of my bankroll in early September. The rest of the chart is me following nitty BR requirements and includes a sweet 430 BB downswing at 1/2 6 max LHE last month as I sprung a massive leak.You can do it. Just takes lots of discipline.

post-4766-1231541553_thumb.jpg

The massive drop at the beginning of the chart was me playing out of my bankroll in early September. The rest of the chart is me following nitty BR requirements and includes a sweet 430 BB downswing at 1/2 6 max LHE last month as I sprung a massive leak.You can do it. Just takes lots of discipline.
Slowly but surely, I am learning this. I always used to say well I'm running bad and luck's not on my side, but here lately I've spotted some flaws in my own game that have for sure been costing me money in cash games and chips in tourneys. Just trying to worry about what I do instead of what the cards do, since that's all I have control over.
  • 2 weeks later...

My bankroll management is so poor it's unbelievable. I deposit $30 and play $0.15 and $0.25 cash games and $3.25 sngs. I then have decent runs up to $100 sometimes and obviously my indiscipline and inability to manage tilt costs me every time and I go broke. This then leads to me questioning my game and feeling like shit about being a bad player. I am a good pre flop player but again my indiscipline after the flop leads to too many bad calls and miss reads of my opponents.I am saving up now to put $100 before going back to the micro limit tables.When it comes down to it though I am a decent poker who's just poorly educated!

I know exactly how you feel, I took 3 weeks and ran my roll from $20 to $135 and then blew $120 in 3 days. Started back up again and in a month i'm up to $130 from the $20 i got down to. Just gotta be smart with the roll and learn from your mistakes.

UPDATE: Well, I started back playing strictly the $1.20 Single Table SNG's with a few micro MTT's mixed in and got my head back above water. Then, with the help of a stake I played a $26 MTT on Tilt and finished in the money for ~$35 after I split with my staker. Also, got staked for a 180-man $4.40 on stars and finished 4th for a ~$32 score after the split of the winnings. So now I'm back up to ~$90 in my account and can start 4-tabling the $1.20's like I was before I fell off the horse. Have to stay on this time! I know, I know start a f*cking blog! :club: Looks like a roller-coaster with that big drop and big climb back, just have to avoid the big drop again with BR management. BTW I only play above the $1.20 SNG's and MTT's with a stake as I'm not properly rolled for them. Good Luck at the tables everyone!DisplayGraph.png

If you keep grinding 1.20 sngs, you will be able to try a 4.40 here and there. The play is soo horrible, that you will be able to get a decent cash. And if you don't mind turbos, the 3.25 90 sngs or the 2.20 180 sngs are soft as hell as well. GL with building back up. I have been kind of a BR nit after I drunkly blew 150 trying to play HU $50 :club: