Is There A Such Thing As "absolute Position"?

Lately when discussing pokerhands, my roomate and I have been using the term/phrase "absolute position" and now we cant figure out if we just somehow made that term up or read it somewhere.we use it when evaluating hands to mean the last person to have the option to reopen the betting. Like, on the flop -the button has position, but if UTG+1 was to then open the betting, then UTG would then have "absolute position" or the absolute last option to fold, call, re-open the betting.Is there a better term for that? Has anyone ever heard it called absolute position somewhere before? And Does anyone know any books that discuss this by any name?thx!

Absolutely

you'll often hear this as something like "raising to buy the button" or "buying the button".edit: eh, i misread you. there is an idea ive seen kicked around by the name of relative position that sounds an awful lot like what your saying.

I personally don't think it's the best terminology. There is already the concept of relative position, which refers to whether you are in position or OOP with regards to the opponent in a particular hand. So, if I were to use the terms, I would say that on a particular hand, my absolute position was on the button, and if it folded to me and I opened, and only the BB called, my relative position for the hand would be "in position".What you are talking about, is better expressed as "closing the action".

So basically OP coined the term "absolute position" to mean what everyone else calls "relative position" and uses the term "position" to mean what the rest of us call "absolute position".But we got a most excellent link out of it. Odds that printing that out and asking the wife to "pick one" will work out well?

So basically OP coined the term "absolute position" to mean what everyone else calls "relative position" and uses the term "position" to mean what the rest of us call "absolute position".But we got a most excellent link out of it. Odds that printing that out and asking the wife to "pick one" will work out well?
Can't hurt...I say try it out and report back to us

I believe "absolute" position refers to being on the button or the last to act in the rounds of betting after the flop. "Relative" position is attained when you're the closest to the right of a player who has taken the role of aggressor, usually preflop, by putting out a bet or raise.Relative position is an interesting idea. An example between the two if applied to a multi-way pot would be something like having four opponents in the hand.Button - HEROSBUTGMP2UTG limps and let's say MP2 raises preflop, you call and so does the SB and UTG. Your position is absolute in the fact that you're last to act the first time around. It gets tricky though because let's say the flop action goes like this.SB and UTG check, MP2 follows up with a c-bet. You call, the SB folds, but UTG raises. You were essentially last to act but the round of betting isn't actually closed because the SB or UTG can still raise, which UTG does here. UTG has relative position because if you're in that seat you can still check if you're expecting MP2 to bet and can still see how the button and SB will react to MP2's bet before having to commit another cent to the pot.Having a hand like TP/TK or a flush/straight draw is easier to play in the UTG seat than it would be on the button because you'll likely have more information as to what you'll have to commit to continue with the hand and avoid spots where you're sandwiched between two players showing aggression post flop.

I don't think the term absolute would be correct... this position easily changes with a 3 bet... so with the ease of change of the position of "absolute" I don't feel absolute would be the correct term, and the term relative fits better, because it allows for you play to be completely relative to all play in the hand...hai +1

Button - HEROSBUTGMP2UTG limps and let's say MP2 raises preflop, you call and so does the SB and UTG. Your position is absolute in the fact that you're last to act the first time around. It gets tricky though because let's say the flop action goes like this.SB and UTG check, MP2 follows up with a c-bet. You call, the SB folds, but UTG raises. You were essentially last to act but the round of betting isn't actually closed because the SB or UTG can still raise, which UTG does here. UTG has relative position because if you're in that seat you can still check if you're expecting MP2 to bet and can still see how the button and SB will react to MP2's bet before having to commit another cent to the pot.
yes exactly.I didnt know whether I coined the term- or just heard it somewhere and so was using it incorrectly or correctly. Anyway, it's 'relative position' and 'closing the action'.kthx that helps. :club: