LOL....so now that you have had a win at 25NL, with $51 you should move to.....ummmm........well 1c/2c NL!! Even at 2c/5c you only have 10 buyins. The variance Gods will get you at some stage with only 10 buy-ins. Just had a look at my stats for 2008...the biggest downswing I had was 14 buyins, and I also had another seperate downswing of 13 buyins. This year...so far so good with only a 2 buyin downswing.
You are so right, I took a beating tonight not all from playing 25NL, I multitabled some low priced SnGs($6.60) and had aces cracked multiple times. I was taking a shot to raise some extra money for a trip to DC(I have two tickets waiting for the inaugural ceremony). Oh well back to .1/.2!
  • Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, so I'm starting with $10 and playing ring game NL hold'em online at PokerStars. A few rules:1. I won't move up in limits unless I have 500 big blinds for that limit. I'm starting at $0.01-$0.02 w

Posted Images

I have been doing the same thing as Daniel on PStars but i started about 2 weeks prior to him. My roll is at $125 so I'm 3 levels or so along.Anyways here's the backstory:So today after about 100 hands I took a beat where i was all-in for around $20 at a .10-.25 table w/ Kings and some guy calls me with pocket 3s and makes a set on the turn. I re-bought for another $25 and about 30 hands later found myself having to move in with A-A and K-3-8 on the board. I was called by someone with K-10 and sure enough the river came a K.So now my roll was cut in half in one day, and my overall question is should I be putting a limit on how many hands I play in one session? After reading DN's post on his progress I saw that he rarely plays more than 100 hands at a time. So do you guys think I should be regulating the # of hand I'm playing or did I just take a couple bad beats and I should get back to the grind???

I have been doing the same thing as Daniel on PStars but i started about 2 weeks prior to him. My roll is at $125 so I'm 3 levels or so along.Anyways here's the backstory:So today after about 100 hands I took a beat where i was all-in for around $20 at a .10-.25 table w/ Kings and some guy calls me with pocket 3s and makes a set on the turn. I re-bought for another $25 and about 30 hands later found myself having to move in with A-A and K-3-8 on the board. I was called by someone with K-10 and sure enough the river came a K.So now my roll was cut in half in one day, and my overall question is should I be putting a limit on how many hands I play in one session? After reading DN's post on his progress I saw that he rarely plays more than 100 hands at a time. So do you guys think I should be regulating the # of hand I'm playing or did I just take a couple bad beats and I should get back to the grind???
I don't understand why limiting hand number would achieve anything???? DN doesn't play more than 100 hands because he is only playing at one table. What you experienced is the bad side of variance, which happens to everyone, and is the exact reason why you won't succeed with only 5 buy-ins. You are so far off...20 buy-ins is the absolute minimum number of buy-ins you should have at 10c25c NL, but I recommend at least 30. I use 35. I guess you guys just have to learn the hard way!
Yah, wasn't trying to brag just say by way of example. (I've played well over 300,000 hands of poker, am starting again, and I have a good idea whether or not 25+BB/100 is sustainable...)Anyway, here's how the maths break down at a 5bb/100 win rate and assuming he doesn't take a massive downswing due to variance (corrected my earlier miscalculation in the following):Blind .02, Start $10, End $25, Hands @ Lvl 15,000Blind .05, Start $25, End $50, Hands @ Lvl 10,000, Total Hands 25,000Blind .10, Start $50, End $125, Hands @ Lvl 15,000, Total Hands 40,000Blind .25, Start $125, End $250, Hands @ Lvl 10,000, Total Hands 50,000Blind .50, Start $250, End $500, Hands @ Lvl 10,000, Total Hands 60,000Blind 1.00, Start $500, End $1,000, Hands @ Lvl 10,000, Total Hands 70,000Blind 2.00, Start $1,000, End $2,000, Hands @ Lvl 10,000, Total Hands 80,000Blind 4.00, Start $2,000, End $3,000, Hands @ Lvl 5,000, Total Hands 85,000Blind 6.00, Start $3,000, End $10,000 (this is where he ups his BR req), Hands @ Lvl 108,333, Total Hands 108,333Blind 10.00, Start $10,000, End $20,000, Hands @ Lvl 20,000, Total Hands 128,333Blind 20.00, Start $20,000, End $50,000, Hands @ Lvl 30,000, Total Hands 158,333Blind 50.00, Start $50,000, End $100,000, Hands @ Lvl 20,000, Total Hands 178,333Done.
Isn't 5bb per 100 hands a bit low? I think something in the range of 7-8 BB per 100 hands is fairly common. In my own experience I average just a little over 7 in the last 20k or so hands in my new database. I have had short term spikes above that but I haven't been below that in a while. I am asking, not bragging, I really would like to know the numbers for most successful micro players. I must also add that my success has been multi-tabling I never did have much of a winrate at single table play(I think I get impatient. What do you thing the $VPIP preflop raise % and aggression factor should be for a winning player at micro stakes? I have also noticed a recent strategy change at the .1/.2 NL which I assume is caused by training sites. I am seeing more reraising preflop with small pairs and air. Anyone else seeing this?(Example, I raised with Kings and was reraised by 8,6 off).

Sorry guys... This is not following the tread. More a suggestion for Daniel.I've been playing cash games online for a while, and I suggest that you do not stop playing with you double up your initial deposit to the table.Instead, just move to another table, so that you just put again your initial deposit without your profit.Here's an example.You sit at a table and put 10$. After an hour, you are able to double up to 20$.You leave that table, and go to another one, putting there 10$ only.You are only obligated to put back 20$ at a table if you come back to the same one within 30 minutes. So just go somewhere else and start again.Aren't you the one who said that you should not stop when you win? Then follow your own advice dude. :club: Take care (and yes, I'm a PokerVT member).

Good luck Daniel. I know you will get to $100,000. I did something like this but not as crazy as you. I started off with $0 on Pokerstars and I got to about $30 by playing freerolls and getting into the Saturday 5K

I added a new rule. It makes no sense for me to put a huge number of bets in front of me when I'm close to the goal, so when I get close I will buy in smaller. For example, if I only need to win $0.50 I'm going to buy in for the minimum of $1.00. Safer that way.

Prop bet:I want to do the same challenge, same rules. The 1st one that gets to 100.000 gets half the bankroll the other one has built when the 100.000 mark is reached. I currently have 8c on my stars account and will top it up to $10 if the prop bet is accepted.Bet is void if one of the players goes broke.deal?Oh, and so what it is my 1st post?

Hey guys, I've been reading Daniel's blog for a while now, and this challenge has interested me! I'm quite a casual player, and usually start off with a very small bankroll of around $10-$15 dollars and build it up as high as i can. That means, I just start on .15/.25 stakes and work away at it for hours on end, sometimes having poker binges and working at it for a few weeks. I'll cash out all the winnings (or reconcile) and start again another day. Although this approach is highly discouraged, I have had quite a lot of success with it, because i've adapted my play to suit these lower stakes games. My biggest achievement doing this was one of the most surreal nights of my life, and an experience I won't forget. It was two years ago, when I was living in halls at University in Edinburgh, Scotland. I had been out in town drinking at some bars and clubs, and got back quite early, around 12.30am. I was quite drunk, and had my friends with me when i decided to deposit $15 dollars into pacific poker. I worked away at it for hours, slowly people were falling asleep and went off to bed. Meanwhile, I was sat at the screen, and i'd smoked myself sober. I got to around $250 dollars after around 3 hours, but i was stalling. I wasn't going up or down. It was quite frustrating, especially since i was playing .25/.50 blinds. I was getting bored. I decided to move up to .50/1, and worked away at it, and time blurred. I got a lucky break and got my roll up to around $600 dollars. I was absolutely astounded. By this time it was about 5.30am. I quickly called my friend over the university phone and told him i'd turned $15 into $600. He wasn't exactly encouraging, since he was probably hungover, but still quite surprised. I carried on, and decided to stake the entire $600 into the nl $3/$6. This certainly is not the recommended thing to do, and i'd never gotten this far on a one night poker binge before. I'd never played these stakes, i was poor, and that money could have been useful. I certainly had a nice little bounty. But instead, my cloudy judgement just said go for it. I played for around 5 or 6 hours, and most of it is a complete blur. There's one hand in particular that I remember when I flopped a straight flush with As 2s, and the guy i was playing with bluffed his entire stack away in the pot. I was flabbergasted. Suddenly i had over 1k. And it was all from a nights work. It was around $1,145 dollars, and i just went on again. By the time i finished it was 2.30pm. I'd been playing for 14 hours straight and obvioulsy I was completely exhausted, but absolutely exhilirated! I had managed to turn $15 into $2,745! I took a picture of my bankroll on my phone, and went to find my friend. He was still asleep in his room, completely hungover. I knocked on the door, and a bleary eyed dude emerged from the darkness. I showed him the picture of the cash, and he jumped for joy! That night we had another big night and celebrated. I cashed it all out, and enjoyed it.It's a crazy story, some of you might not even believe me, but it was certainly the craziest poker night of my life! I still use my pedestrian approach to poker, and still have successs - just the other day I turned a $10 dollar party poker bonus into $340. Unfortuneatly, I've never seemed to have the insane run ever since, but still enough to buy the extras :club: Sorry for the length of my story, (if you actually read all of this) I just wanted to share with you another way it is possible to go about the challenge. Although what I do is crazy and prone to criticism, it is a barrel of laughs :ts

I will be following this thread.I Believe that Daniel will Suceed in this poker Challenge.It wont be easy but his will power, determination, & self discipline will see him through to the End.This really tests your patience and mind.The fact that Daniel doesnt need the money makes this challenge more important to me anyway.This is very time consuming indeed.I will try and do this myself from $20 and donate 50% to a charity.Goodluck see you at the finishing Line:)MakeAstand

Prop bet:I want to do the same challenge, same rules. The 1st one that gets to 100.000 gets half the bankroll the other one has built when the 100.000 mark is reached. I currently have 8c on my stars account and will top it up to $10 if the prop bet is accepted.Bet is void if one of the players goes broke.deal?Oh, and so what it is my 1st post?
Hmm seems I've seen this scam before somewhere. Any guesses on who this really is?

New to the site....how I've never strolled to this page is beyond me. Figured this is one of the top posted pages so I'd say hi to everyone.That's all for now.I laughed a lot at the "I'm doing the opposite post, depositing 10k trying to widdle down to playing .01/.02 again".

I think this challenge will really get rolling when he makes the next level! nearly there now,GL DN

Would say even at 0,05-0,10 you need atleast 20 buyins .... swings are so crazy at times with people shoving on you with QQ AK preflop or never give up draws ....even if you play perfect poker you are going to get sucked out on each day... imo 5 buyins is suicide ... even for a nit :club:

Hmm seems I've seen this scam before somewhere.
I fail to see how this prop bet would/could be a scam. Nobody would be fronting any money... Then of course if smbd achieves the goal you have to rely on trust to get your prize from the other. But i would not expect the bet to be accepted anyway, and If it was it would be over after 22 minutes, that's the time I estimate my 10 bucks will last. I just think it would be some kind of incentive to play better and reach the 100,000 faster. Why so much hate?
Any guesses on who this really is?
And this is not somebody else. This is me.
Would say even at 0,05-0,10 you need atleast 20 buyins .... swings are so crazy at times with people shoving on you with QQ AK preflop or never give up draws ....even if you play perfect poker you are going to get sucked out on each day... imo 5 buyins is suicide ... even for a nit :club:
Absolutely agree.

It'll be interesting to see if he runs into the same sort of thing I saw a few years ago. Which is, the level of play seems to reset at the $1/$2 level. The micro's are, as DN said in his blog, really easy with bad players who don't really know what they're doing. As you progress, it gets harder and harder until the $0.50/$1 level. At that point, the tables are full of good players who have built their bankrolls up from nothing. But then the $1/$2 games play like the $0.05/$0.10 games. My theory is that it's from people who are new to poker, but too proud to start lower. They deposit a few hundred and start at the $1/$2 level.

From the new blog "$0.02-$0.05 Here I come!":- 'if you can't beat that game you have a lot to learn!' Absolutely true!- 'attempted probably three bluffs, one a semi-bluff with a pair, straight and flush draw, but outside of that it was just playing a decent number of hands and looking to get paid off.' This is probably the most important thing that I have learnt. At these levels you just don't need to bluff. Putting a pot size bet on the river with air is usually -ev because people call you with anything.-'If I double my bankroll in a session I'll quit on my blind to help avoid risking too high a percentage of my bankroll in any one hand.': I think that this is extremely important to minimize variance.-'500 BB's is plenty for the micro games': lol. Sorry Daniel, I still think you are completely misguided. Getting through a few levels using your rules is likely, but at some stage you will have a bad run where you lose the 8 buy-ins.Nevertheless, I repeat my best wishes and will be fascinated if you succeed.Cheershttp://blindtilt.com/