OK, so I got this idea a couple weeks ago when the Music thread guys started their top albums of 2008. Then I felt really old because I literally heard of only a couple of the bands. I wanted to have a thread where we list our own favorite albums, based on what we have listened to most over our lives, not necessarily which ones we think are the best. I know that sound weird, but for example, number 10 for me is NWA and I am not going to claim that is the 10th best album ever.So my list is going to be primarily Rap/Hip Hop because that is what I listed to I will post the OP, then post my list in a second post.So put some thought in it and post yours, if nothing we will get a good idea of what we have spent the last 10-15 years listening to.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) - 19932) Dr. Dre – The Chronic – 19923) Tupac Shakur – All Eyes on Me - 19964) Snoop Doggy Dogg – Doggystyle - 19935) A Tribe Called Quest – Low End Theory - 19916) A Tribe Called Quest – Midnight Marauders - 19937) The Notorious B.I.G. Ready to Die - 19948) Outkast - Southernplayalisticfunkycadilacmusic - 19949) Eminem – The Marshall Mathers LP – 200010) Nas - Illmatic - 1994Honorable Mention(s)• A Tribe Called Quest – Beats, Rhymes and Life - 1996• A Tribe Called Quest – People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm- 1990• Redman – Doc’s Da Name – 1998• De La Soul – 3 feet high and rising – 1989• E-40 – In a Major Way – 1995• Wu-Tang Clan – Wu-Tang Forever• Linkin Park – Hybrid Theory – 1999Ludacris - Word of Mouf - 2001• Too $hort – All albums up to and including number 10.• Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt - 1996 • Jay-Z - In My Lifetime, Vol. 1 - 1997• Jay-Z -Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life - 1998 • Jay-Z - Vol. 3... - Life and Times of S. Carter - 1999• Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill - 1986• Sublime – Sublime – 1996• NWA – Straight Out of Compton – 1988Groups or artist without specific albumsPublic EnemyMarvin GayeAl GreenLou RawlsBarry WhiteCreedence Clearwater RevivalRandom crappy 80's songsMichael Jackson

1) Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) - 19932) Dr. Dre – The Chronic – 19923) Tupac Shakur – All Eyes on Me - 19964) Snoop Doggy Dogg – Doggystyle - 19935) A Tribe Called Quest – Low End Theory - 19916) A Tribe Called Quest – Midnight Marauders - 19937) The Notorious B.I.G. Ready to Die - 19948) Sublime – Sublime – 19969) Eminem – The Marshall Mathers LP – 200010) NWA – Straight Out of Compton – 1988
One of these things is not like the others.

1 Ready to Die -Biggie2 36 Chambers-Wu3 Kind of Blue -miles davis4 Pet sounds - Beach Boys5 A love Supreme John Coltrane6 Astral Weeks7 Aqumini Outkast8 Ravi Shankar -live at the montary pop festival9 Johnny Cash - live at folsom prison10 Talking Heads - Remain in the lightHonorable mentions alright still Lily AllenDr OctogonThriller -MJOff the Wall -MJAmy Winehouse-fadeto blackevery other beatles album revolver and after(or rubber soul.. i forget which was earlier) about 10 bob dylan albumsexile on main street- stonesthe first 3 tribe albumsthe first 2 dela albumsFold your hands, child you look like a peasant - Belle and sebastionLondon Calling - The clashDisc 1 of my 2 disc Ramones greatest hits CDCornershop- when I was born for the 7th timeJames brown live at the apolloBowie ziggy stardustDevo Q: are we not men? A: we are Devoall the velvet undergroundOrnette Coleman free jazzWillie Nelson Red headed stranger and stardustFrank Zappa the grand wazooGZA liquid swordsvarious Jayz albumselectric lady land-hendrixMarvin Gay what's goin' onNas Illmaticseveral public enemy albumsQueen A night at the operaRush 2112various radioheadCuban linx raequonInspiration information suggie otis

In no particular order:1) Springsteen Live2) KISS Alive 13) KISS Alive II4) AC/DC Back in Black5) Van Halen6) Boston 7) The B-52's Wild Planet8) Jethro Tull Aqualung9) The Who - Who are you10) Eric Clapton -- Unplugged

Crap. Outkast Southernplayalisticfunkycadilacmusic and Nas Ilmmatic should have been in my top 10. I guess xnay Sublime and NWA and put those two in.That list was pretty hard to come up with, and I know I left out a lot. I'll Go back and edit...

Arranged chronologically from my listening perspective:The Firebird: Stranvisky - Berlin PhilharmonicLed Zepellin: IVThe Beatles: RevolverPink Floyd: The WallU2: WarU2: Unforgettable FireJimi Hendrix Experience: Electric LadylandEric Clapton: From the CradleMetallica: Ride the LightningQueen: A Night at the Opera

Southern Harmony and Musical Companion-The Black CrowesThe Doors-The DoorsPhysical Graffiti-Led ZeppelinFull Moon Fever-Tom PettyCheck Your Head-Beastie BoysVs.-Pearl JamNevermind-NirvanaShake Your Money Maker-Black CrowesStraight to Hell-Hank IIILegend-Bob Marley

Am I the only one who likes Chronic 2001 better than the Chronic?Also I don't see anything that I disagree with so I'll just say I agree with all the choices. I'd try to make a top 10 list, but that would take me a week, and I would be doing constant editing.El Guapo do you like E-40 just because it is a bay area thing, or do you actually enjoy his music? I used to like him, but after hearing his music at every single party for like the last 8 years I can't listen to him anymore without having a panic attack.

In terms of straight air time in presence (conscious or otherwise):1. Pantera: Vulgar Display of Power2. Rollins Bank: Weight3. Pantera: Cowboys From Hell4. Led Zeppelin: IV (I used to smoke a lot of weed)5. Clutch: Clutch6. Weezer: Blue Album7. Bad Company: Ten From Six (I used to smoke a loooooooooooot of weed)8. The Sundays: Reading Writing and Arithmetic9. Hagfish: Buick Men 10. Janes Addiction: Nothing's ShockingHM:Nirvana: BleachToadies: RubberneckTool: OpiateMinistry: Psalm 69Reverend Horton Heat: It's Martini TimeSocial Distortion: Social DistortionSugar Ray: Lemonade and Brownies (it's a damn shame what happened to them with their sophomore album)NIN: Pretty Hate MachineDown: NOLAVan Halen: Van HalenGnR: Appetite for Destruction

Crap. Outkast Southernplayalisticfunkycadilacmusic and Nas Ilmmatic should have been in my top 10. I guess xnay Sublime and NWA and put those two in.That list was pretty hard to come up with, and I know I left out a lot. I'll Go back and edit...
After looking at your list, I feel like we could ride in the same car without hating each other. :club: Also, saw your original list and thought, 'what, no Illmatic?'.

Ooooo...I should add PanteraThey live down the street from meWell...Phil and Vinnie do..... DimeBag of course doesn't.They could have been such a kick ass band.....

After looking at your list, I feel like we could ride in the same car without hating each other. :club: Also, saw your original list and thought, 'what, no Illmatic?'.
Then I believe we'd be strangling each other after two blocks.
Ooooo...I should add PanteraThey live down the street from meWell...Phil and Vinnie do..... DimeBag of course doesn't.They were such a kick ass band.....
i think that's what you meant.

Tanner - I likd 40's older stuff. The original Click with D-Shot and B-Legit. Some of his recent stuff is very clubbish, but not terrible.Hank - GNR - Appetite probably should be in my top, but when I think of top albums I never think Rock. Poison Open up and Say Ahh, probably could be up there too.PMJ - I would guess that is probably the case, especially since we are about the same age. And yeah, I knew I had forgotten some with the Orig list. I am sure there are 10-15 other albums, like Fear of a Black Planet, that could easily be up there.

Sugar Ray: Lemonade and Brownies (it's a damn shame what happened to them with their sophomore album)
Goodness...I can never dislike you now. Not that I did in the first place, but god damn do I love that album.
Also I don't see anything that I disagree with so I'll just say I agree with all the choices. I'd try to make a top 10 list, but that would take me a week, and I would be doing constant editing.
agreed, i just threw mine out off the top of my head, and i would have any honoroble mention list that looks something like this"all albums by: Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Black Crowes, Tom Petty, The Beastie Boys, Nirvana. many albums by:Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Jane's Addiction"

More HMs:Life of Agony: River Runs RedRun DMC: Raising HellCCR: Greatest HitsLL Cool J: Bigger and DefferR.E.M.: EponymousClutch: Elephant RidersRed Hot Chili Peppers: Mother's Milk

Then I believe we'd be strangling each other after two blocks.
I think my Ipod has a little something for everyone. Though I would have to be the DJ, because just about everyone has about 4-8 albums on their list that I hate. Except Guapo

1. It Was Written - Nas2. Food & Liqueur - Lupe Fiasco3. Life After Death - Biggie4. All Eyes on Me - Tupac5. The Slim Shady LP - Eminem6. Greatest Hits - Outkast7. College Dropout - Kanye West8. The Misseducation of Lauryn Hill - Lauryn Hill9. Ear Drum - Talib Kweli10. The Bliss Album - PM DawnYes, I like It Was Written better than Illmatic and LAD better than Ready to Die. Not by much in either case, but enough that I give them spots on the list, same with Tupac's Makeveli. I have trouble picking a favorite Outkast album, I like them all pretty equally. I can't believe I don't have a Wu album on there somewhere, they would probably litter 11-20.

Can't disagree with Josh's list, except maybe PM Dawn, seriously where the **** did that come from?Fugees and Wyclef's solo joint should have made my list somewhere too.