Gen Poker's Goals For '09

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why they always say to aim high. You obv have a lot of room to not meet these goals but still have a very successful year. I'd rather aim here and miss than hit a simple set of goals.That said get on your damn bike. It's such a fun, simple way to exercise and your legs will thank you for it in 40 years. lol.
Perhaps a mix of easy and hard goals is the way to go. I've set 4 very hard goals (foolishly, one was even dependent on another) for 2009 and failed all of them, which is demotivating. If I had set 3 easy goals and 1 hard goal, I'd be much happier having most likely completed 75% of the agenda.
poker:-100k profit mtts-atleast one 5figure score-Supernova-cash in a live event besides a daily (only 20yo till sep.)life:-complete a triathalon-be able to run a 4minute mile again-travel more-drink less
-at 50k right now..pretty meh year-had 7 5figure scores-not even close to supernova, was much closer in '08-cashed 3 live tourniesdid not accomplish a single life goal, but shortly after this thread i made other goals in my phone poker related:triple crown- fail, not even closePCA 2010- not sattied in yet6 figure score-failfinal table a major/ftops/wcoop/etc- FTed ftops2win a live event- fail, final tabled turning stone $1500 thomake a day 2- TS $1500
i agree with coolhand....if you set your goals to high and you don't achieve them that could lead to not even trying in the future.
That's all dependant on your personality type. Typically, people that "don't even try in the future because of shorting a goal" want to quit, plain and simple. Goals are nothing more than a declaration of your internal desire. Some people make them short term attainable, some people shoot for the moon. In the end person desire can be fluxxed by reaching and failing on goal(s).....but if one quits something altogether, while it can be easily scape-goated on 'missing on a prior attempt', the person is just quitting. There's no excuses in quitting. There's not necessarily any shame in it either, unless you try to pin it on a "prior failed attempt", etc. etc.EDIT: LOL, i sound like a gym coach.
That's all dependant on your personality type. Typically, people that "don't even try in the future because of shorting a goal" want to quit, plain and simple. Goals are nothing more than a declaration of your internal desire. Some people make them short term attainable, some people shoot for the moon. In the end person desire can be fluxxed by reaching and failing on goal(s).....but if one quits something altogether, while it can be easily scape-goated on 'missing on a prior attempt', the person is just quitting. There's no excuses in quitting. There's not necessarily any shame in it either, unless you try to pin it on a "prior failed attempt", etc. etc.EDIT: LOL, i sound like a gym coach.
I wasn't trying to say that would happen to everyone. I agree with you that it depends on who you are as a person. Its just not good to set to many goals that are far reaching. I say go for the impossible sometimes but be realistic. If you constantly set yourself up with goals that are very hard to reach and fail on a regular basis then that is def going to be frustrating and can impede your performance on future goals. Like I haven't been playing poker seriously for very long so if this year I made a goal to win a sunday major, make over 100k profit, and win a wpt event then I am probably not going to attain any of those. It is better for me to make smaller goals that once I achieve them I can step up to the next level building my confidence
I wasn't trying to say that would happen to everyone. I agree with you that it depends on who you are as a person. Its just not good to set to many goals that are far reaching. I say go for the impossible sometimes but be realistic. If you constantly set yourself up with goals that are very hard to reach and fail on a regular basis then that is def going to be frustrating and can impede your performance on future goals. Like I haven't been playing poker seriously for very long so if this year I made a goal to win a sunday major, make over 100k profit, and win a wpt event then I am probably not going to attain any of those. It is better for me to make smaller goals that once I achieve them I can step up to the next level building my confidence
Right, such a goal would be unrealistic.If a goal is unrealistic, it's a figment of your imagination.I get what you were saying that a bunch of upper shelf goals could lead to disappointment. IE, you make 65k this year....if your goal was 50k you might feel good that you reached your goal. If your goal was 80k you might feel bad that you didn't meet it. Like I say, it's all personal psychology. If I made a goal to make 40k, and that was the low end of my reasonable range, I might make 40 by september and then sort of lose steam in the achievement, whereas if i made it 80, the high end of my goal, i may bust arse until NYE, end up at 70, and while disappointed that i fell short, I would have found much more long lasting success and would be hungry to take another shot at that goal, etc.

if you are making 40k by september you need to teach me sir. ha ha....I am getting ready to set my poker goals for 2010 in the next couple of weeks and I am trying to set some reasonable goals. Any advice for a person just starting to get serious?

if you are making 40k by september you need to teach me sir. ha ha....I am getting ready to set my poker goals for 2010 in the next couple of weeks and I am trying to set some reasonable goals. Any advice for a person just starting to get serious?
hehehe. No. I'm a world away from these gurus on here. I probably end up like 500-1k by year's end.Big round numbers just work better for examples, lol.Until I move to a site that I can get rakeback and bend and get a HEM at minimum, there's no way I can even take myself serious as trying to move to the next level.
i know i sound stupid asking this but I know what rakeback is but bend? and HEM?
HEM is hold'em manager, the tool for tracking your and opponents play to keep track of your stats with ease and also track the trends of your opponents play, etc. etc.bend was just me using the word bend in the verb form, as in like to cave in and do these things. :club:
  • 2 weeks later...
Make $350kMake 700k VPPsBecome a winner at $200/$400 6 Max LHEFurther my understanding of the gameThink about taking on a student or twoTravel moreGo back to schoolAchieve a 4.0 in one of my first two semesters back, with no less than a 3.5 in eitherImprove at cooking on my ownContinue to strengthen my relationship with my girlfriendIn the interest of the post below, I am 20 years old.
I know the year's not over, but I'm probably not going to play more than a couple thousand more hands so I thought I'd do some assessments.Poker has gone very well when I have played, but over this year I have had less and less desire to put big volume in. I have made a little over half of my monetary goal, but did so by playing about 20% of the hands I expected to have to put in to reach that goal. I have furthered my understanding of the game a great deal more than I expected to and I have opened up paths for myself to learn many, many new things in the near future. I have put about 10% of my hands played for the year in at 100/200 and 200/400 and have beaten the game for around 1 BB/100 and felt comfortable doing so. I haven't taken on students and I don't think I will at any point in the near future, simply because of the time and effort obligation that teaching brings with it. My life goals, too, have been bittersweet for the year. While I didn't go back to school, I did move across the country to La Jolla, CA and will be doing a lot more traveling this year, particularly in the next 3 months or so. I've become a bit more organized, a bit more responsible, and a bit better at dealing with life in general. However, the girlfriend I was referring to in the first post, dumped about a month ago, shortly after our 5 year anniversary. This has made me step back and reconsider a few things and so I'm a bit unsure about where next year will take me. I won't set any hard $ or hand goals for 2010, but I will say that I will try very hard to find the perfect balance of poker in my life. I'm not sure yet whether that means I should rededicate myself and grind or to take time off and only play part time when I do come back, but I hope to figure that out. In the meantime, I'm going to play the best I can in every hand I play and hope to pile up a little cash to make my decisions easier. As for life goals, I'm going to try harder to fight my own complacency and arrogance and I'm going to be the best person I can be.I hope you all had a great 2009 and I hope you have a better 2010. Except Lurbz.