What Happened To Steve's Thread?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had a poker school and my students were doing well for themselves, I'd shout it out at every opportunity; it'd be part advertising, pride and to shine a light on the accomplishments of the students.

If I had a poker school and my students were doing well for themselves, I'd shout it out at every opportunity; it'd be part advertising, pride and to shine a light on the accomplishments of the students.
Would you do it all while saying that's not what you were doing?
Would you do it all while saying that's not what you were doing?
Again, I have no problem with this. If he just came out every time and said "Hey, a lot of my students have had success, I think the program is worth it, ask some of my students about the pros and cons of my teaching" I would have no problem with it. I have no problem with up-front advertising. It's the fact that he continues to try to do this type of advertising disguised as caring about the community which is what some of us don't appreciate.
Again, I have no problem with this. If he just came out every time and said "Hey, a lot of my students have had success, I think the program is worth it, ask some of my students about the pros and cons of my teaching" I would have no problem with it. I have no problem with up-front advertising. It's the fact that he continues to try to do this type of advertising disguised as caring about the community which is what some of us don't appreciate.
I guess we just interpret his posts differently.I think advertising, bragging about students, showing pride, etc. can all look like the same thing even if that's not the intent. I guess it's all in the interpretation. I think I feel the same way about some other respected posters' material that you guys feel about Steve's, so I can understand it. I just don't particularly feel like anything Steve does is all that tilt-worthy.

as an outsider looking at the program, i have to agree with loosh about where the results are coming from. A lot of the students will tell you the thing that was actually most helpful was getting to pick the brain of his other students on a daily basis (where steve is only a somewhat infrequent participant). if you put a half dozen or more players with various poker strengths together and let them talk strategy on a very regular basis, and those players are so devoted to improving their poker playing "careers" right now that they are willing to shell out a significant amount of cash for any opportunity they can to improve, yeah, those players who put a lot into the discussions are going to get very ill, very fast. obviously. you think the pokerhaus guys don't benefit greatly from sharing their knowledge?you think it hurt craig marquis to get his introduction to poker from tom dwan and david benefield?do all the ridiculous volume MTT and SNG players who get houses together during the series accidently win a shitton of bracelets? when you combine a group of people passionate about something, they are going to get better. period. the other aspect of the training has been described as more "poker life lessons", a la ace on the river, tommy angelo's elements of poker, etc. you have to judge for yourself how highly you value something like that. If that alone is worth quite a bit of money to you, or if you are unable to align yourself with other great poker minds outside of a structured environment like this, maybe his program is actually valuable to you.personally, i think that a lot of people are seeing a causal relationship where only an indirect relationship exists in an attempt to feel like they got value for their hard earned cash.edit: all that said, i have no doubt that steve is a good player and a good guy, and i'd be lucky to be able to buy him dinner and pick his brain. i just don't personally see the direct value in what he's offering.

I know fcp is mostly low limit players and everything... but it reallly doesnt give you guys the right to try and drive off players who play "BIGGER" just because they might sound a little arrogant at times. Get over it, 50% of poker players are douchebags.. at least online.. and thats not gonna change... just deal with it and try and learn something from them so you start winning moneys.
What are you talking about? Poto is a low limit player (mainly I think), and Looshle is a higher limit player. They were the main 2 who were angry at Steve in the main thread. Why are you blaming the "low limit players" on FCP? The low limit players appreciate his threads, and are sometimes the one's that ask him for help. Just because one low limit player complains doesn't mean you can group all the low limit players on FCP together as being pissed at Steve.

Man...I am never hosting a home game again...

tbh, I really dont think Steve is intentionally trying to come off as a cocky or arrogant. Sure some of his posts come off that way but even though I've never met him, I absolutely believe him to be a genuine person just trying to "fit into" fcp a little bit more.Looshle's post, although it has some merit i guess, seems to be way off in some other areas especially steve's recent "Day in the life of" threads. He asked fcp if we would like to see a couple of those threads and everyone of all limits jumped at it and said "YAY please post stories of pros!!". So he did, and 99% of people who posted in those threads said "OMG TY that was awesomeeeee please do more of this Steve you're awesomee!!"Im gonna go ahead and say most of the comments left like that were lower limit players who really enjoyed hearing little tid bits about some of the good live players that Steve has become acquanited with. That same group of low limit players (which is alot of fcp) also seem to be some of the angriest when it comes to steve's training programs. I dont know if its because they are jealous that they cant ever afford it... or if they're angry because they're just angry people.Here's where I actually say something thats worth reading I guess...Everyone who hates Steve because he tends to promote his training program quite a bit is overlooking the fact that as a direct result of Steve's training program, those who have come out of it are here every day posting great pieces of strat advice, mental aspects of the game, and contributing a Huge amt. to the forum. You may not be learning from Steve directly, but I guarantee you that 100% of you have seen AND benefited from Mark's posts or Snamuh's or Checky's or a dozen other guy's that Im just blanking on right now. I know fcp is mostly low limit players and everything... but it reallly doesnt give you guys the right to try and drive off players who play "BIGGER" just because they might sound a little arrogant at times. Get over it, 50% of poker players are douchebags.. at least online.. and thats not gonna change... just deal with it and try and learn something from them so you start winning moneys.[/quoteIt's because we play low limits, it's that simple. Or maybe because they are taking the program and still playing micro limits.

For Everyone:MJZ1634.gifIn defense of Steve:I think that Steve is probably a nice guy, I've talked with him a bit about his training course in the past and he came across as very interested in what others were doing and not at all focused on getting money out of it. You have to realize that at $3000/6months, that's anywhere from 4-30BB's in the games he plays. While that may be a lot of money to some of us, that's not a lot of BB's to any of us (maybe the MTT donks...). The amount of work and time he puts into the training course is much larger than the time it would take him to make 4-30BBs.

Here's what I think, as though you give a shit. LOL Some people such as Steve, don't come off real personable in written text. There are no LOL's, no 0o0o0o0ooo00, none of the typical things that let people know you are emotional. His posts sound monotone and very direct, sometimes as if written by a robot. Therefore when ya read it, it can sound condesending/blunt/rude. I've never met him in person but I'd guess that isn't how he intends it to sound. He never even needs a spell checker for goodness sake! lolThen most of the rest of you, when you post, we can always count on some sort of emotional response that makes you sound oh sooo human. In conversations IRL, I've often called most of you friends.........not just e-friends, cause I feel like I've spent enough time reading here to think I know most of you on some level, even though I've never met you IRL.If I knew there was a game coming up the first week of May where I could see Loosh, JC, Whatta, NNB, Kurt, Mark, Gallo, Kinger, Mase, Nutz, Vick, Bull, Gator Tom, Balloon Guy, etc., etc., etc.,......I'd be booking my ticket NOW! Ya'll sound like a fantastic fun group of people and I think it'd be a hoot to all get together in real life. I'd also bet that Steve would fit in fine with the group when you could actually LOOK at him and see his reactions instead of just reading words typed on the computer. I could be wrong, have been before. And I guess I'm really lucky that when I DID meet JC at the WSOP circuit event, he couldn't tell that I thought so much of him as a poker player and as a SEXY man, or else he would have called security! LOL

.If I knew there was a game coming up the first week of May where I could see Loosh, JC, Whatta, NNB, Kurt, Mark, Gallo, Kinger, Mase, Nutz, Vick, Bull, Gator Tom, Balloon Guy, etc., etc., etc.,......
Let the brackets begin