What Happened To Steve's Thread?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i nominate suited up for walking off a cliff, that's about it.
Is this a joke? I'm having trouble keeping track of who really hates whom.
I leave the internet for 36 hours and THIS happens...........WOW...dramabombz!Off to find original, now closed thread.
QFT. Whatever else, I always found steve's posts to be interesting or valuable in some way or another.I think he's a lone-wolf kind of guy, but a solid person. Those people are often sorely misunderstood.I've also wanted to take his training. I have incredible leaks and I miss a lot of opportunities. I honestly feel that if I seal the leaks and learn to maximize more spots, the sky is the limit. I play $200 NL FR, 6 max $100 NL and HU $100 or $200 NL depending on villain. I play $1/$2 NL, $2/$5 NL and very occasionally $5/$10 NL live, but i haven't played live forever.

I can agree in a way with the posts about how Steve is not sincere in his "wanting to help people out". If he were just wanting to help out the community I think there are better ways to go about it. That having been said, I really was not that offended by his "spamming" (what others have called it, not what I am calling it).I also can't understand the outright hatred of some of the posters towards Steve. I haven't seen anything that led me to dislike the guy, just didn't seem like someone I would have beers with. At least not until this thread, if the edited posts were what the quotes show them to be, that goes a long way towards tarnishing any image Steve may have in this community.With his posting that he is not going to respond and that he is giving up his mod status, I feel like he is just giving up on this community and moving on. Whether I or anyone else really likes they guy, I hate to see that happen. I have been entertained by some of his posts and for that I thank him and wish him good luck in the future.

I can agree in a way with the posts about how Steve is not sincere in his "wanting to help people out". If he were just wanting to help out the community I think there are better ways to go about it. That having been said, I really was not that offended by his "spamming" (what others have called it, not what I am calling it).I also can't understand the outright hatred of some of the posters towards Steve.
Could you copy and paste examples of this?
Could you copy and paste examples of this?
I am not going to go back and quote examples of this, but by some of the responses to his posts and comments it appears to me that some individuals have some genuine dislike for the man, that is what I was referring to. I did not have any one person in mind.
This is amazingly clever.I sorta feel sorry for Steve at this point. He is clearly unable or unwilling to defend himself...and instead says things like "Good Luck" which only make him come off as more arrogant, ala smasharoo. Oh well, I guess he got himself into this mess.One last thing I'd like to add. People leave this forum for more reasons than being chased away. People have different personalites and goals in life, and just like Steve, I know Hoosier wasn't all about the community thing. Pretty sure Chucksty just got bored. No idea what happened to some of the others but it's how the world works. It sucks when you lose good people at anything, but new talent rose up here. Lose a Hoosier, gain a Snamuh. We shouldn't go out of our way to kiss everyone's ass that plays above a certain limit just to coddle their sensitive feelings and pray they continue posting here. Anyone with a lot of posts, regardless of the stakes they play, has gotten sick of this place at one point or another. Some choose never to keep posting here, others keep coming back.Look at how many times RDog has gotten into it with someone. What if, one of those times, he said "Ya know what, I don't need to deal with this, later". Or just pulled a Hoosier and left without saying a word. Who would be to blame for that? The person that got into it with him? The whole community? But then Rdog's name would be in here as one of the people that left. It's the internet...these things are going to happen. Look at the ex_matt's of the world, he posts things solely to try to get them to happen for his own amusement. Others are too ignorant to realize what they are doing. Others notice but don't care because they don't even really play cards.Sorry that rambled and I don't really have a point, so I'm just gonna stop.
I am super tilted as I have just spend 10 hours playing tournaments so my mind is probably not functioning too well.That being said, I really disagree with you here. There is no doubt that people leave forums for various reasons, and I'm sure a stack of lower-tier players have left FCP for one reason or another. However, have many of them been important, regular contributors?IMO if you look at the important contributors who have left in say the past 2 years, the vast majority of them were the elite players of this forum. I guess it could be said that the more successful players are pre-disposed to leaving as the opportunity cost for them of spending time reading and contributing to a forum becomes higher as they improve. That being said, the atmosphere of FCP in particular is not conducive to the nurturing and maintenance of talented players in the same way that somewhere like 2+2 is. I mean I guess it depends whether you guys care if the good players stay here. I don't generally contribute much so I dont think my opinion is too relevant. But if you want the better players to stay, I don't see anything wrong with giving them a little more leeway than than average poster. The reality is that in general, what they do contribute is a sh*tload more useful than what the average poster contributes.I am thinking more about what happened with BKice than the current situation with Steve. I read that BKice thread recently and thought it was one of the most flat out retarded things I had ever read. Steve does seem like as a bit of a douche but it hardly seems necessary to absolutely crucify him. Anyway whatever I guess but you are kidding yourselves if you think this forum doesn't love to cut the tall poppy down more so than its counterparts. Of course there is no need to be as sycophantic as P5s, but there is nothing wrong with showing some respect for achievements imo.

On a essentially-unrelated sidenote..Whatever happened to ObeytheDog? Last I saw of him was from the Bob Updates of FCPer results in the WSOP..That guy had some incredible, unsolicited, educational posts about psyche and poker.Also: anyone who equated the half-dozen posts Steve7stud makes a year with "spam" are completely off their rocker. If you find him a tad snarky and condescending, that's fine.. So is 1/2 the field in any live tourney. It's what Ipods where invented for. I also don't remember being charged for following his Questions/Advice thread in Gen Strat a while back, which had some worthwhile stuff in it.If someone like Steve patting themselves on the back on occasion really raises your ire, you're leading a pretty nice life. congrats.

I get that it's the internet and everybody HAS to voice their opinions (Ironic I know considering this post) but I've never understood it. Steve makes a bunch of threads offering training and the same few people have to bounce around the threads and bash him, bash the concept, bash his motives if you don't want to be involved with him or his training it's quite simple; don't be. Regardless of whether his motives are for money or to help people or a little of both he always seems to find people who are interested and more often than not they seem appreciative after the fact so I just don't get the desire to crap on the guy for it. Why not ignore his threads and move along because they are obviously serving a purpose to some and certainly aren't hurting any body by being there. He started a thread in general strat to field questions from people that people seemed to want, he started the life with threads after asking people if they wanted to see them. I find this far less arrogant then the notion that "I don't like this guy or posts that he makes and the people need to hear it...". While I am one that will often just move along or ignore posts, people or topics that iritate me I get that some people "need" to let everyone know what they think but there is a tactful way to do it. Being a knowitallshithead is the norm in venues like this but posts like some in the other thread and this one are far more "look at me! Look at me!" then anything I've ever seen posted from Steve.

it seems like more of the fcp piling on rather than outright hatred. similar to the gang-tackle of bkice when he came up short of winning that mtt & was upset. it could be symptoms of the more general hatred of success in society, where people want to grab the achievers & drag them back down in to the muck.

This.Are you trying to "give back to FCP" or are you opening a business?Are you posting a video about the Larry game because you think we are going to be interested or because you are in it?Are you trying to tell stories of Ted Forrest for our satisfaction or your own?Are you telling past students they are doing well puclically because you are being encouraging or because you are trying to sell more schooling?Say what you mean, that's all. It's pretty insulting to our intelligence and gets old fairly quickly.
I tried searching for this but couldn't find it, does someone have a link? Just thought it would be kinda neet to see.
I mean I guess it depends whether you guys care if the good players stay here. I don't generally contribute much so I dont think my opinion is too relevant. But if you want the better players to stay, I don't see anything wrong with giving them a little more leeway than than average poster. The reality is that in general, what they do contribute is a sh*tload more useful than what the average poster contributes.
I actually had thought about including this in my post but left it out. It is a good point. You would treat the President of your company different than you would treat the part-time worker. However, the internet blurs these social lines and respect levels so much that it is hard for it to hold true.
it seems like more of the fcp piling on rather than outright hatred. similar to the gang-tackle of bkice when he came up short of winning that mtt & was upset. it could be symptoms of the more general hatred of success in society, where people want to grab the achievers & drag them back down in to the muck.
I sort of agree...It's only piling on though because Steve has not said anything in response. If he would debate or discuss these things then the whole situation could potentially move forward or die. It is already dying of its own velition now, but not with any real conclusion. As far as your BKice point, I think you are forgetting how cocky he was and how much he put down FCP in the months before that thread. That's not to say that it wouldn't have happened anyway. His e-immaturity had been showing for a long time, and just exploded there.As to your other point, I agree 100% that society does that and it may be a small part of what is going on here as well. Once again though, if he would just respond maturly and address the points without the "Good luck" BS, maybe people wouldn't have wanted to drag him down to begin with (as much).
I don't think anyone has outright hatred for Steve or Bkice. It's just when everyone comes in here and starts offerring their opinion about an argument they weren't involved in when it seems like people are being attacked. I'm not a mathemitician (I can't even spell the word), but I bet an overwhelming majority would like Steve and Bkice to still be around.(edit) just read the post above mine, and agree with it also. The people being attacked are always a little bit to blame as well, when they don't listen to anyone, or just decide to ignore everyone things turn out worse.

Steve is playing this right... There's no response he can give that would not be attacked... He's going to mosey off into the sunset, which is pretty much all he can do at this point...