Come on DN. I've been a fan for many yrs, and watched you "grow", I thought. Watched you get married, become a "Christian" and focus on your life. I now come back and see you like this. Yeah, you are one of the greats, but what does that really mean in the big scheme? All you post about is the great partying lifestyle now...and the cool toys. Your play is not as good as it was...what happened to the Big Game? One of your resolutions for 2009 is to get better at Golden Tee?...Really?...a video game? Come on Daniel, you are so much better than that. Make us all proud and clean up your act and do what I know you can do in 2009.

Come on DN. I've been a fan for many yrs, and watched you "grow", I thought. Watched you get married, become a "Christian" and focus on your life. I now come back and see you like this. Yeah, you are one of the greats, but what does that really mean in the big scheme? All you post about is the great partying lifestyle now...and the cool toys. Your play is not as good as it was...what happened to the Big Game? One of your resolutions for 2009 is to get better at Golden Tee?...Really?...a video game? Come on Daniel, you are so much better than that. Make us all proud and clean up your act and do what I know you can do in 2009.
Is this for real? Yeah Negreanu, who said you were allowed to have a life......?

I just read the blog and I do think his tone was quite off-putting. However, the one thing about blogging is sharing how you feel at the moment. It is a single facet of a complex life and does not necessarily represent who you are all of the time. The end of the year is overwhelming for many people. Sometimes we look back on the year and we wonder... WTF? All I have done is work hard for others and I am exhausted (yes... this is a little of me right now.)Could Daniel have been a little bit more forthcoming on what spurred all of this? Yes, of course he could. Is it really necessary for him to do so? I don't think so. Those who have kept up with him the past 5 or so years is aware he has his ups and downs like the rest of us. He has a very busy life. He works hard and he plays hard. I think as adults we can read something like this and just put it into perspective without feeling disappointed or disillusioned. We are all human after all and yes, that includes Daniel. :club:

I think Daniel owes me a more personal explanation for his actions. I am going to sit here by the phone until he calls, and no, a call from Bob won't do. Patty maybe !!Hello...hello...

jealous
fyp
Daniels Blog:..."Maybe some golf trips there, or just a real vacation here and there. I don't know, not entirely sure what I want to do exactly, I just know that I definitely want to be more selfish! Not in a bad way, but I definitely want to spend more time taking care of ME and making sure that I'm getting the most out of life."...
^ thatedit: I will say I've always found it odd that DN and other pros came out teaching and telling everyone their 'secrets' to winning. Looking back, was that the best thing they could have done? Players are so much better now and games are tougher. I mean, I understand why they did it, money, etc. but was the impact on poker overall better or worse for the game, or their profitability?
Focus on your own life as well, and I'm sure you will be better off.

I'm still playing good poker at the moment and my plan is to continue to do that in tournaments when I play. As for a lot of the other stuff, well, that isn't exactly a part of what I consider the "dream life." I've done it for many years and eventually it was inevitable that I would want to slow down. Now is that time.

I'm still playing good poker at the moment and my plan is to continue to do that in tournaments when I play. As for a lot of the other stuff, well, that isn't exactly a part of what I consider the "dream life." I've done it for many years and eventually it was inevitable that I would want to slow down. Now is that time.
You tell 'em!Happy New Years Daniel.

GL in 2009 proffesionally and personally. With the fields in major tourneys shrinking and dead money in them very rare its a wise choice to cut back and focus on the bigger ones. With tax laws, smaller but more skilled fields, and the cost of travel I wonder if travelling the circuit as a live mtt player is now a -ev proposition?

PokerVT is something I'll continue to put my efforts into and teach those that sign up, but aside from that I'll be doing a lot less teaching. People are already getting better and just giving away my secrets is starting to feel like a bad idea. Not because I don't think I'll be able to win, but more a case of, why should I? Seriously, for like 10 years now I've been doing that and I'm not so sure I want to anymore. I've done enough.
Anyone still wanna sign up? lol As for the other stuff like taking long breaks from poker, good for him. He hasn't sounded positive in the last few months. Playing for 4 years live I'm kinda at the "wtf is the point" stage now that I'm 29. I also really want a kid all of a sudden for some reason and I'm a guy. Daniel have a kid..."Daniel Jr".

The blog thing has ran its course...Of the 4-5 blogs I once read DN updated the most often as hard as that is to believe...It seems all of them only want to update the blog when they have something to sell or promote themselves which is fine with me. I think DN cutting back like he talks about is more of a commentary on the current state of poker. If one of the best known and best sponsored Pro's is tired of the grind, how bout the poor guy trying to make a living playing with no sponsor. Most Tourneys are way down in attendance and TV poker is all but dead with the exception of WSOP and HSP which for some reason was very close to being history. with that said it seems the traffic/post/volume of post on FCP is all but dead...

Didn't Daniel cash for like 1.5 mil in 2008... in just tournaments?

Like T (Hi, T!), I was a bit put-off by DN's tone when I first read the latest blog. However, after a few minutes I realized the main reason I felt that way is that DN has spoiled us with how much he has opened his life to us (his fans). It seemed to me that he did pull back in 2008 (not as many blogs, less open-ness, etc..) and I think he's just verbalizing that now. I don't blame him at all. He has a lot of people trying to pull him in different directions and eventually he was going to have to start saying NO to someone. He's certainly entitled to throttle back and enjoy life a little more!

Like T (Hi, T!), I was a bit put-off by DN's tone when I first read the latest blog. However, after a few minutes I realized the main reason I felt that way is that DN has spoiled us with how much he has opened his life to us (his fans). It seemed to me that he did pull back in 2008 (not as many blogs, less open-ness, etc..) and I think he's just verbalizing that now. I don't blame him at all. He has a lot of people trying to pull him in different directions and eventually he was going to have to start saying NO to someone. He's certainly entitled to throttle back and enjoy life a little more!
Why thank you lol.

QUOTE PokerVT is something I'll continue to put my efforts into and teach those that sign up, but aside from that I'll be doing a lot less teaching. People are already getting better and just giving away my secrets is starting to feel like a bad idea. Not because I don't think I'll be able to win, but more a case of, why should I? Seriously, for like 10 years now I've been doing that and I'm not so sure I want to anymore. I've done enough.Doesn't make me confident in DNs future participation with PokerVT. He should have run this one past his PR / Marketing department before posting.

Nobody has to work hard anymore now that Obama's gonna be President. ;)j/k...GL Daniel, in poker and everywhere else.
Too funny. Probably true, but we should at least try and laugh about it.

This isn't exactly the first one of DN's blogs about feeling burned out and wanting more time away from poker. I can only imagine how taxing his schedule is. I played only 3 events in the WSOP last year and felt burned the F*** out and couldn't leave Vegas fast enough.Bottom line is, no matter how drastic his blog seemed about how much less he's going to do, he seems to always find a change of heart and a renewed vigor for the game just as easily as he gets burned out on it.In the meantime, Daniel, thanks for everything you have done and continue to do, and enjoy all the "alone" time you need. We'll be around when you decide to let us "back in".Good luck in 2009.

Hi Aces!You are right, we have been spoiled. I do not know any other pro who has put themselves so out there as Daniel, in teaching, his personal life, hanging out on the forum or just even talking to us in person when we visit Vegas and rail. When you think of all of the things Daniel does it is exhausting. I will never forget watching him play at the WSOP 2 years ago. Whenever he was not in a hand, he would make eye contact with us and chat a bit. If he could get a way from the table to talk to us railers he would. Most pros would just ignore the the crowd.So Daniel, I am sorry that I did not mention how much I do appreciate all that you do for your fans. I really do appreciate everything, especially this forum and site. (Though I do have this feeling that even though you stated you are not going to do certain things in 2009 that you may wind up doing them anyway. I think it is the kind of guy you are. I don't think you can sit still for long... you are kind of like the Energizer Bunny, you keep going and going and going ... )