What Would It Take For You To Bet Your Life?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not sure why you assume I have a bad life just b.c. im willing to take this bet. I think this bet is the same as driving for a day without wearing your seatbelt. 99% of the time nothing is going to happen. But that 1% of the time something does, you could get seriously injuried or die as a result of not wearing your seatbelt. And this is something people do all the time, and get nothing for doing it. I guess Im just not a life nit
lol you're probably right about the odds.then again ive gotten beat with quads by a straight flush more than once. im pretty sure at least one of them was runner-runner.the moral here might be to start taking trains.
http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showflat.p...ue#Post12806974There's a guy pointing a gun at your head. He has a suitcase with $10m in it. He offers you to pick a number from 1 to 50. You then have to write it down. He then has one attempt at guessing that number. If he guesses right, he pulls the trigger. If not, he hands you a suitcase with $10m and you walk away unscathed. You do not have to pick a number. You can leave immediately instead. Do you gamble with your life? If yes, at what point would your answer become a no (i.e. pick a number from 1-40, or 1-25, or 1-10.If no, at what point would you take the gamble? (1-100, 1-1,000, etc)
So, 49 times you win 10M, and 1 time you lose life.0 = 49(10M) + 1(-X)X = $490,000,000.If you value your life at more than $490M, it's a -EV gamble. Personally, I thought for a while if I value my life at more than 490M$. Furthermore I think the varience in this game is too high for me to be comfortable, even if I value my life at less than that, and I walk away.Same situation, with 5000 #s, and 100K in suitcase, is less varience but still not good enough for me IMO. So I guess I value my life higher than that. If you make the #s 10x (i.e. make required value life to breakeven around $5B) I might reconsider).
this was good
I think if I had a lot (family, a house, and a steady source of income) then for sure I don't risk it for any amount. But as it is, I'm single, with no house, and not a ton of money, and 200k would go a long ways in my life. And if I happen to get crushed on a 2000-1 shot and lose my life, no big deal.
Probably not as long as you think if you keep on ballin' at Sapphire :club:

I'm surprised no one has factored in the -EV of dry cleaning the poo stains from your pants on the 2/45 chance that one of your scare cards hits on the turn, as well. That's the deal breaker for me.

http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showflat.p...ue#Post12806974There's a guy pointing a gun at your head. He has a suitcase with $10m in it. He offers you to pick a number from 1 to 50. You then have to write it down. He then has one attempt at guessing that number. If he guesses right, he pulls the trigger. If not, he hands you a suitcase with $10m and you walk away unscathed. You do not have to pick a number. You can leave immediately instead. Do you gamble with your life? If yes, at what point would your answer become a no (i.e. pick a number from 1-40, or 1-25, or 1-10.If no, at what point would you take the gamble? (1-100, 1-1,000, etc)
Where would this take place? Your number could be read at a distance from a trained-eye, and the instrument used could be possibly relay your answer to a conspiring person.Lets talk about the gun, is there someway to prove he won't shoot anyway... you'd have to question to motives of the person presenting you this offer. A revolver loaded w/ one bullet would be the only "safe" option.IMO, I'd decline this bet at any level, but offer a HU4roll/life Rock-Paper-Scissors alternative. Money in teh BANK :club:
Money isn't everything. I wouldn't risk it for $100 billion dollars.
Ok and how much time do you spend risking your life working (including transportation)? In your whole career, what are the odds your survive through all you face that you wouldn't have to face if you were billionaire? Think about medical fees if you get a life-threatening illness, the quality of the food you eat with your actual salary, the time you spend working if you wouldn't need to work and could spend it on working out and staying in shape?The real question is; would you risk your life more in this deal or in your everyday life?Personally, i wouldn't take this deal mainly because i don't value money that much. If i was a die-hard capitalist minded person like many of us are, then i would take this deal right away.