Betting Into A Dry Side Pot

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.So I was playing a NL HE tourney and I got into a half hour arguement with someone. It made me so angry I had to make a post about it. Here's the situation: (I apologize but I don't have a hh)I raise with 88.A shortstack reraises allin for just a tiny bit more.The button calls.Everyone else has folded and of course I call.The flop comes q36 rainbow.I am first to act and I bet.The button thinks then folds.The shortstack shows pocket threes.Turn is a 7, River is a JAfter that the button player starts berating me saying he would have hit his set of sevens and so we would have eliminated the other player. I imagine spit coming out of his mouth as he types "You never bluff at a dry side pot!!!!!!!111". He starts insulting my intelligence and calling me a hippotadonk, ect.Meanwhile I am just laughing at him. I had made the absolute correct play and here's why:1. We were 500 players from the money. Thus there is no reason to be going out of my way to eliminate players. If we were in the money or on the bubble, then that's a different story, but instead we were like an hour and a half of play away from the bubble. I gain nothing from letting the button win.2. There was no way for me to know that the allin player had a set. Frankly I believed I had the best hand. The player was severly shortstacked and could have gone allin with any two cards. Therefore I was NOT bluffing. I had a decent hand.3. I believed I had a better hand than the button, so I wanted to make money off of him. I want him to call me with only two outs. Plus my hand is vunerable if i give free cards.I want to win this pot. It doesn't matter if the button or the allin wins. I lose the same amount.I keep repeating these concepts to this angry player, but he just couldn't grasp it. He continued to stand by his original thought that I am a donktard.I usually don't teach so much at the tables, but it really irks me when someone calls me a donk when they are in fact the donk. If someone plays terrible, I won't say a thing. However if this same player is criticizing other people's play, I think they are then fair game.I just wanted to share this story with you. Fortunately I think I am beginning to calm down.

1. We were 500 players from the money. Thus there is no reason to be going out of my way to eliminate players. If we were in the money or on the bubble, then that's a different story, but instead we were like an hour and a half of play away from the bubble. I gain nothing from letting the button win.
This is really the only one of your reasons that needs to be stated. You were fine in betting.

Similar situation happened to me at local 75$ 2-table SnG w/ re-buys. I explained that we're still in the rebuy period so there is no reason to worry about knocking a person out. The two other players involved in the pot agreed with the reasoning afterwards.fwiw the all-in player will usually re-buy more than once if necessary.