confusing blog with regards to vegetarianism

I am a vegetarian as well. Although i do eat some seafood occasionally, no fish, and i eat eggs that are from free range chickens.Im sure what Daniel was reffering to on the "cure world hunger thing" is the amount of land we use to feed cattle, and the amount of peopel that feeds. Because if all of this land were used to grow vegetables it would feed MANY, MANY more people. This is really a scientific fact im not just pulling it out of my as*s
You need to pull your head out of your as*s.
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I could really give a shit about how animals are treated in the meat packing industry. I like eating meat, and I doubt I'll stop. I'm a fat, amoral, selfish american meat eatter. But if someone is so bothered by the way the meat production industry is run, I can't argue with them. That's their moral choice. I don't pretend I have the moral highground, or evolutionary imperitve to eat meat. I eat meat 'cause I like meat. But DN's proably right, world hunger could in alot of ways be solved by a change in the western world's diet. I just don't give enough of a shit about world hunger to change mine.

Here's my opinion. Vegetarians have a right to chose...BUT...if we didnt eat cows, there would be no cows to whine about saving. If we didnt eat chicken, there wouldnt be chickens to whine about saving. No one keeps a cow or a chicken on a leash for a pet. You dont buy a chew toy for a chicken. If you want to not eat meat for health reasons, I totally respect that. If you want to complain about how they kill the animals, then get a hobby.

ya know why we have canine teeth becasue we are supposed to eat meat. period. what do you think they are there for, we were vampires way back in the day and they haven't dulled down yet.
Well, see there is something called human evolution and humans now can be carnivores or herbivores or omnivores. Humans aren't like dogs or cats, whose digestive systems require them to be carnivores unless you want a sick vegetarian pet.
I had a friend who had this dumb hippy roomate, who raised her half wolf as a vegetarian dog, feeding it all kinds of hippy dog food... the other roomates fed it steak and shit every chance they could behind her back.

Let's be honest. There's no humane way to kill anything. Complaining about how KFC kills their chickens? Come on. PETA doesn't care about how it happens. They don't want it to happen at all. They aren't for the ethical killing of animals. They're for the non-killing of animals. Let's not quibble about how it's done. That's just preying on our sympathies. If you eat meat, who cares how they are killed. If you're biting into another animal's flesh, hmmm....I don't think you really should worry about how it died. I eat meat. I don't worry about it. I can love animals and eat them and have no problems doing it. A Lion doesn't care about the antelope so why should I cry for the chicken? Just because I'm an omnivore doesn't mean I should become a herbivore because I feel bad. There's a reason why I'm an omnivore. Because it's good for my body. It's nature's way.

until they try to impose their ideology on me. That's when I crack them over the head with a billy club, slash their throats and hang them from meat hooks and eventually force feed them to other vegetarians/vegans.

I don't have a problem with people being vegetarians, unlike them I don't try to tell people what is right and wrong. I don't make up bs to play to people's emotions about why we shouldn't eat meat. World hunger will not be solved by everyone being a vegetarian. There is not a shortage of food, thats a myth, there is an overabundance of food. We pay farmers not to use land to grow to keep the prices down. Too much prices go down, economy gets bad. Trying to impose morality on people by saying they are destroying the world is just wrong. Make your choice, don't impose.

I don't have a problem with people being vegetarians, unlike them I don't try to tell people what is right and wrong. I don't make up bs to play to people's emotions about why we shouldn't eat meat. World hunger will not be solved by everyone being a vegetarian. There is not a shortage of food, thats a myth, there is an overabundance of food. We pay farmers not to use land to grow to keep the prices down. Too much prices go down, economy gets bad. Trying to impose morality on people by saying they are destroying the world is just wrong. Make your choice, don't impose.
You aren't looking at this globally. You are correct if you are just looking at U.S. economics, but that is not the issue here.I don't think it is wrong to stand up for what you believe in. Nobody here has said that they think we should all be vegetarians, they are just stating their opinions.

There wasn't a quote that said, "If the world was all vegetarians we would have less obesity and other problems blah blah..." That sounds like someone saying the whole world should be vegetarians lol.

There wasn't a quote that said, "If the world was all vegetarians we would have less obesity and other problems blah blah..." That sounds like someone saying the whole world should be vegetarians lol.
No, that's why they started the sentence with "If". I don't know, maybe we are getting different vibes from the same posts. I am pretty defensive about people preaching to me about stuff like this, but I have not felt that way on this thread.Regardless, I am having a big bloody steak tonight.And by the way, if any of you out there order your steak cooked any more than "medium", you don't like steak at all and might as well become vegans.

LOL. What do you mean they stated "If". Are you brain dead??? If, as in IF everyone did this it would be better. How does that not sound like they want everyeone to be vegetarians. I'm sorry I can't argue with you nemore, your last post is so stupid im still laughing. Lets kill this thread

Between a turkey who's allowed to roam out in a yard or field it's whole life, before it's killed swiftly, and a turkey who's legs are broken at an early age, lives it's wholre life confinded in a cage, is pumped full of horemones and is force fed before it's killed. I would guess it's not the death of the animal itself that PETA is against so much as the life it leads prior to that death. It's the People for the ethetical TREATMENT of Animals.... I sympathize with vegetarians who find this treatment abominable, I can't really agrue any moral standpoint against it a vegetarian who hates industrail meat practices. I, however, love to eat turkey, and this matters to me more that the treatment of turkeys. I'm pretty heartless that way.

to feed cattle (and other animals) requires an inordinate amount of food and water. If those resources were not wasted on producing meat, they could be used much more efficiently on feeding the world's population (I forget the exact ratio, but the amount of resources that is necessary to produce meat that could feed 100 people could be used more efficiently on producing non-meat food products to feed 1000 people) .
This is such a huge load of manure that I have heard so many times from veggie advocates. The problem with hunger is not a shortage of resources it's a shortage of money (capitalism.)We could go on eating all the meat we want and still produce enough food in this nation to feed the entire world. Why don't we? Who is going to pay for it?If you are a vegetarian because you oppose cruelty to animals or because you believe it is healthier for you then great, both are good reasons. But please stop this "we can feed the world if we don't eat meat" crap!
Exactly...Not to mention that I meat eater only needs 1/20 of the area that a vegatarian needs to safely and unoffensivly air out their gas...

I have been Vegan for 10 years so it obvious where my feelings lie ... but if you haven't heard of an ecological footprint, you should google it or calculate yours here: http://www.mec.ca/Apps/ecoCalc/ecoCalc.jsp I find the biggest problem is that the people who are close-minded to vegetarianism also don't give a shit about the environment so it is hard to convince them of anything with that argument.

LOL.  What do you mean they stated "If".  Are you brain dead??? If, as in IF everyone did this it would be better.  How does that not sound like they want everyeone to be vegetarians.  I'm sorry I can't argue with you nemore, your last post is so stupid im still laughing.  Lets kill this thread
You obviously don't know the difference between an opinion and actual preaching to try to get someone to convert their lifestyle.Here's an example...If all people were Red Sox fans, there would be less fights at sports bars in Boston.I'm not saying that I think everyone in the world should be a Red Sox fan, I'm just stating a fact, that many fights are between Sox and Yankees fans.I don't know why I'm arguing here. I'm going to take a wild guess that you're 16 and won't listen to any logic.
my OPINION is that millions die from hunger because of uneven distribution of food and NOT a lack of food.
That's the most worthless post I've ever read.STFU newbie!I've always wanted to post something like that. Now I feel complete.

I work in the meat industry, I cut up cattle for a living. I just wanted point out that every piece of meat you buy at the store has either been on the floor or been touched by something that was on the floor. And I am not talking about dropping on a clean recently sanatized floor. I am talking about up to 8 hours of meat scraps cooking and rotting in warm water and any sort of bacteria you can think of.

my OPINION is that millions die from hunger because of uneven distribution of food and NOT a lack of food.
That's the most worthless post I've ever read.STFU newbie!I've always wanted to post something like that. Now I feel complete.
I'm not a newbie and I dont' appreciate being put in the same group as some of the idiots that post on these sites. If you read my previous posts you'll note that I actually THINK about my responses and i contribute alot of this forum.So tell me, what exactly is wrong with my post? I think it's true and i'm just giving my two cents.so i would APPRECIATE if you didn't jump to the conclusion that my posts are anywhere near in the same category as some of the real worthless posts on tihs forum.
I work in the meat industry, I cut up cattle for a living. I just wanted point out that every piece of meat you buy at the store has either been on the floor or been touched by something that was on the floor. And I am not talking about dropping on a clean recently sanatized floor. I am talking about up to 8 hours of meat scraps cooking and rotting in warm water and any sort of bacteria you can think of.
You are in Canada.

Growing up in on and around farms I think I can shed some light on this.One has to ask why we use more grain to feed animals than to eat. The answer is money. When the price of grain down to around the $2.00 a bushel area its much cheaper to use that grain to feed cattle than to sell on the open market. So many farmers started raising cattle to help support themselves. It was either this or go out of business. Even with grain used as cattle feed the US produced 1.5 BILLION bushels of corn alone, than it used. This is down from the 5.4 billion in surplus back in 1985. The government has been working since the 1960’s on bringing down this end of year surplus by paying farmers NOT to plant, or “set aside” acres. Last year the US spent something like 2.8 Billion on have farmers NOT to plant, NOT raise pigs, NOT milk cows…. Etc. So the answer to world hunger has nothing to do with how much we use to feed cattle. It has to do with buying the grain at a price so the farmers can make a living at it. It is estimated that we could produce something like 11+ billion more bushels per year. Making a total of 13 Billion as End of Year Surplus. This could go a long way on feeding people. BUT. Currently there is no infrastructure in place to move this grain to the people who need it. Last year something like 400 Million bushels rotted because it couldn’t be transported. Railroads have been cute back to the point they cover less than 10% of the area they once did in the 1960’s, roads can’t handle many more trucks, and there isn’t enough ships to transport that much grain overseas. Plus don’t get me started on the BS that you have to go through once it reaches those ports to get it off loaded and transported.So we could feed the world and eat meat.

I have been Vegan for 10 years so it obvious where my feelings lie ... but if you haven't heard of an ecological footprint, you should google it or calculate yours here: http://www.mec.ca/Apps/ecoCalc/ecoCalc.jsp I find the biggest problem is that the people who are close-minded to vegetarianism also don't give a censored about the environment so it is hard to convince them of anything with that argument.
Just trying to bump this and get people to calculate their ecological footprint. It applies to a lot more than what you eat, and it really gives you a sense of perspective on how much you consume.