confusing blog with regards to vegetarianism

I remember reading a book on Vegetarianism and that's what swayed me towards it- "The land it takes to feed 1 meat eater can feed 20 vegetarians" , "A major reason why there is so much starvation in the world is due to meat eaters" etc.
I just read this nice fact also. Hope you don't drive :wink: To make a car (including tires), it takes about 40,000 gallons of fresh water. That's not including the gas it takes to run the car, the electricity to run the gas station, the water used to create the boat that brought your precious oil, the water used to create the pavement you drive on,
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got to agree with Daniel on this one. How we it curb world hunger and help the environment? Since this is a poker forum, I won't go into details. But the brief answer -- to feed cattle (and other animals) requires an inordinate amount of food and water. If those resources were not wasted on producing meat, they could be used much more efficiently on feeding the world's population (I forget the exact ratio, but the amount of resources that is necessary to produce meat that could feed 100 people could be used more efficiently on producing non-meat food products to feed 1000 people) .The meat industry is also a heavy polluter that wasts resources -- thus, the brief answer to the environment quesetion. (And meat is also a polluter of the body with all of the chemicals, steroids, etc.)
farming erodes topsoil, reduces freshwater supply because they use the water for irrigation, and negatively impacts the environment for living things and there's an extreme vulnerability to famine. if you really want to help the environment you'd become a hunter-gatherer moving around season to season and balancing your diet between meats and grains and not cause any permanent damage. it'd also increase nutritional status. producing more food via agriculture would be nice but it's not as environmentally friendly as people make it sound.
I remember reading a book on Vegetarianism and that's what swayed me towards it- "The land it takes to feed 1 meat eater can feed 20 vegetarians" , "A major reason why there is so much starvation in the world is due to meat eaters" etc.
I just read this nice fact also. Hope you don't drive :wink: To make a car (including tires), it takes about 40,000 gallons of fresh water. That's not including the gas it takes to run the car, the electricity to run the gas station, the water used to create the boat that brought your precious oil, the water used to create the pavement you drive on,
No look at my race and gender; I already crashed the Accord into my OWN garage. No more driving.
You forgot the Nigerians we had to kill, the Iraqis we had to kill, etc... to obtain the oil that was used to make the computers *gasp* that we are currently on so we can up the number of posts on a message board where a thread was started due to a blog entry by a professional poker player who was advocating vegetarianism while also on a computer that was created from oil that could possibly have been obtained after some people had to be executed in the name of multinational capitalism.
No look at my race and gender; I already crashed the Accord into my OWN garage. No more driving.
Nice one. It's funny if you said it just for a laugh, it's even funnier if it's true.

quote from Petoria:"So we're going to eliminate the hunger problem by having people not eat most food"what are you talking about? most of the food that the world consumes is vegetarian. in fact, around the world, most people eat meat less than once a week. you are only thinking of western culture, where most people there eat meat every day. but thats only like 1/10 of the worlds population. quote from Petoria:"What about a skyrocketing animal population? "what skyrocketing animal populations? if there is an explosion in the pop. of field mice in iowa, do you think people there will quit eating beef and start eating mice?from the blog:"If everyone on earth was a vegetarian we would completely wipe out world hunger."it might be going a little too far to say "completely wipe out" but...worldwide, people eat mostly vegetables and grains, and a HUGE portion of the worlds the veg. food resources are consumed by livestock animals. [grain, corn etc..] in fact, here in the US, livestock consumes more grain and freshwater than all the people in the US combined. this live stock is then sold as food that feeds far less people that the grain would have fed to begin with.quote from Petoria:" i guess my main question is, what are vegetarians major problem with eating meat? "how much grain does a livestock cow consume in its life? surely thousands of pounds. but you only get so many burgers and steaks from a cow. if the grain was used to feed people instead, thousands more meals could be made, and it could help relieve famine in the third world. the raising of livestock for food is the #1 leak in our worldwide food bankroll. vegetarian food [vegetables, grains, dairy, nuts etcc...] is easier and cheaper to grow, easier and cheaper to cook, easier and cheaper to store, and lasts longer than meat.meat does have some good nutritional value, [e.g. protiens an essential oils and fats in fish etc..] but ALL the nutritional benefits of meat can be replaced by cheaper, less wasteful veg. alternatives.quote from Petoria:" I dont understand whats wrong with the food chain. "whats wrong? millions people (mostly children btw) are dying of starvation around the world. these people could be fed if the industrialized world was committed to better food and resource management. and these people dont just have to starve to death. a few weeks of malnutrition and a common cold can kill you. the immune system fails and the body becomes susceptible to all kinds of diseases and ailments that you just dont see here in the US.

It might help with obesity but if people just excercised we would be fine. I'm going to keep eating my burgers and still be healthy.
The thing about the obesit problem is that it's either genetic and/or lack of self control (addiction). It's obviously apparent that vegetarians and yes, even vegans can get fat or not be able to lose weight due to an overlarge intake of carbs and fat, gorging on chocalate and/or bread or potatoes, etc instead of bacon... with the variance between people due to metabolism and genetics.Add also exercise...

So I don't know if anyone with a brain has responded yet, but Daniel is exactly right... meat production is one of the most ineffeicent things in the world, a complete luxury. It takes 22 pounds of feed to make one pound of beef. All across our country there are corn fields. Ever wonder where that corn goes? Ya think it all goes to tortilla chips? Only 1 percent of corn produced is eaten by humans... the rest of it goes to cattle/hogs/chicken/turkey. I myself am not a vegatarian, but I really do wish I was. The meat packing industry is one of the most amoral, disgusting industries on the planet, in both it's treatment of the animals and it's employees. If anyone wants more information on this topic, read the book "Fast Food Nation"

how much grain does a livestock cow consume in its life? surely thousands of pounds. but you only get so many burgers and steaks from a cow. if the grain was used to feed people instead, thousands more meals could be made, and it could help relieve famine in the third world.
Wow that sounds so nice to feed the world with the grain we use to feed livestock but the question for you hex is:Who is going to pay for growing and distributing the grain and paying off third world dictators, warlords and UN weenies to get the grain to the starving people!I guess we join hands and sing Coke jingles and make the world a nicer place.Common everyone I'd like to teach the world to sing……..
vegetarian food [vegetables, grains, dairy, nuts etcc...] is easier and cheaper to grow, easier and cheaper to cook, easier and cheaper to store, and lasts longer than meat.meat does have some good nutritional value, [e.g. protiens an essential oils and fats in fish etc..] but ALL the nutritional benefits of meat can be replaced by cheaper, less wasteful veg. alternatives.
you shouldn't talk about things you have no clue about & apparently farming is something you have no clue about.
So I don't know if anyone with a brain has responded yet, but Daniel is exactly right... meat production is one of the most ineffeicent things in the world, a complete luxury. It takes 22 pounds of feed to make one pound of beef. All across our country there are corn fields. Ever wonder where that corn goes? Ya think it all goes to tortilla chips? Only 1 percent of corn produced is eaten by humans... the rest of it goes to cattle/hogs/chicken/turkey. I myself am not a vegatarian, but I really do wish I was. The meat packing industry is one of the most amoral, disgusting industries on the planet, in both it's treatment of the animals and it's employees. If anyone wants more information on this topic, read the book "Fast Food Nation"
So your solution is to put farmers out of jobs?

Do you think there are herds of wild cows and pigs roamanig the planet, destorying grain fields, that brave groups of hunters are hunting and shipping their meat off to market? The skyrocketing, say, deer population is an agurment for hunting. But the skyrockitng cow population is completely man made, bsaed on economics thing. I have way less problem with hunters going out and killing deer than I do with the meat growing/packing industry. Killing a wild animal is infinatly more humane than what animals go through on the way to your grocery store.

vegetarian food [vegetables, grains, dairy, nuts etcc...] is easier and cheaper to grow, easier and cheaper to cook, easier and cheaper to store, and lasts longer than meat.meat does have some good nutritional value, [e.g. protiens an essential oils and fats in fish etc..] but ALL the nutritional benefits of meat can be replaced by cheaper, less wasteful veg. alternatives.
you shouldn't talk about things you have no clue about & apparently farming is something you have no clue about.
You are making no sense.1. that quote isn't really talking about farming2. you need to explain why this person has no clue. no offense, but your word isn't good enough without some information to back it up

AAaahhh stop this, read Maddox. No your wrong about the feeding more veg's for wut we use for meat. The government PAYS PEOPLE NOT TO GROW FOOD IN THIS COUNTRY. Its about the economy, money and distribution. Growing more food would not solve world hunger. PERIOD.Meat has been eaten since the beginning of time. Obesity is a very new problem. Does anyone see why blaming meat is stupid? Blame the big portion sizes, blame the hormones put the in the animals, blame people's lack of self control. Don't act like eating lettuce is going to save the world."I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to eat carrots." -Ron WhiteCan we just talk about poker, this argument will go nowhere despite who is right and who is wrong.

Farmers would not go jobless. Food would still need to be groan. Just not industrial amounts of grain for the meat industry.. and lemme tell you, farmers are almost already out of jobs. Most farmers are barely scraping out a living as is, their family farms being bought out by huge corpoarate farms. The small family farmer is becoming more and more and more a thing of the past.

So your solution is to put farmers out of jobs?
What are you talking about?You mean slaughterhouse and industry workers?
I have way less problem with hunters going out and killing deer than I do with the meat growing/packing industry. Killing a wild animal is infinatly more humane than what animals go through on the way to your grocery store.
Yeah, you shouldn't have a problem, well at least with others, who are hunter gatherers that hunt their food.
I have way less problem with hunters going out and killing deer than I do with the meat growing/packing industry. Killing a wild animal is infinatly more humane than what animals go through on the way to your grocery store.
Yeah, you shouldn't have a problem, well at least with others, who are hunter gatherers that hunt their food.
I don't

I am a vegetarian as well. Although i do eat some seafood occasionally, no fish, and i eat eggs that are from free range chickens.Im sure what Daniel was reffering to on the "cure world hunger thing" is the amount of land we use to feed cattle, and the amount of peopel that feeds. Because if all of this land were used to grow vegetables it would feed MANY, MANY more people. This is really a scientific fact im not just pulling it out of my as*s

ya know why we have canine teeth becasue we are supposed to eat meat. period. what do you think they are there for, we were vampires way back in the day and they haven't dulled down yet.
But this "supposed" to eat meat thing has nothing to do with the modern meat growing industry, which is why, from every thing I've heard Daniel say, is why he's a vegetarian.
ya know why we have canine teeth becasue we are supposed to eat meat. period. what do you think they are there for, we were vampires way back in the day and they haven't dulled down yet.
Well, see there is something called human evolution and humans now can be carnivores or herbivores or omnivores. Humans aren't like dogs or cats, whose digestive systems require them to be carnivores unless you want a sick vegetarian pet.