confusing blog with regards to vegetarianism

Quote from Negreanu's latest blog:"If everyone on earth was a vegetarian we would completely wipe out world hunger."So if everyone was a vegetarian, how would we eliminate world humger. I'm honestly confused. So we're going to eliminate the hunger problem by having people not eat most food. What about a skyrocketing animal population? Do we just kill animals for the hell of it then? Are vegetarians upset at eating animals completely or at the corporate end of it that allegedly is cruel to the animals? I dont understand whats wrong with the food chain.Another quote from Negreanu's blog:"Not to mention the fact that it would curb obesity, heart disease, and a million other health risks associated with meat consumption. "Ummm.... correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't humans been eating animals since the dawn of our existence? I'm not entirely convinced that meat is bad for us for that reason. It's not like some businessman came up with the idea, "Hey lets kill animals and then eat them. Sure they're not good for us, and im sure the animals arent pleased with it either, but we dont care. MONEY!!!!!" It's instinct to kill animals and eat them. I guess my main question is, what are vegetarians major problem with eating meat? Also a suggestion to Negreanu, maybe you could try to not get all your information on the subject from a book put out by vegetarians.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Petoria:I'll make this quick since this clearly isn't that important of a topic. I don't know anything about economics are anything like that so don't know how it will cure world hunger. What I do know about is biochemistry, and believe me, if everyone was a vegetarian, it would really curb heart disease, obesity, etc. Its not the fact that we eat meat; its the fact that we eat way TOO much meat. One 15 oz steak is like 5 portions of meat FYI. Wow, I'm a nerd. Can we just go back to talking about poker?

Petoria:I'll make this quick since this clearly isn't that important of a topic.  I don't know anything about economics are anything like that so don't know how it will cure world hunger.  What I do know about is biochemistry, and believe me, if everyone was a vegetarian, it would really curb heart disease, obesity, etc.  Its not the fact that we eat meat; its the fact that we eat way TOO much meat.  One 15 oz steak is like 5 portions of meat FYI.  Wow, I'm a nerd.  Can we just go back to talking about poker?
Yup yup :club:

Those were my exact questions when I read the journal entry. Eh, it's his journal so I'm not going to trash his views. If being vegetarian makes him happy, more power to him. Petoria, how did you like the new Family Guy? I missed it, but a friend taped it for me so I'm watching it right after work tonight.

Petoria:I'll make this quick since this clearly isn't that important of a topic.  I don't know anything about economics are anything like that so don't know how it will cure world hunger.  What I do know about is biochemistry, and believe me, if everyone was a vegetarian, it would really curb heart disease, obesity, etc.  Its not the fact that we eat meat; its the fact that we eat way TOO much meat.  One 15 oz steak is like 5 portions of meat FYI.  Wow, I'm a nerd.  Can we just go back to talking about poker?
Yup yup :club:
I don't know much about biochemistry, but I do know that if we were all vegetarians we would die of suffocation because the excessive farting would be unbearable! :-)
Those were my exact questions when I read the journal entry.  Eh, it's his journal so I'm not going to trash his views.  If being vegetarian makes him happy, more power to him.  Petoria, how did you like the new Family Guy?  I missed it, but a friend taped it for me so I'm watching it right after work tonight.
Last night's episode was awesome. Finally an episode with Quagmire.

What Daniel is getting at is that with the land we use to grow food for the cows that we eat, the same amount of land could be used to feed a lot more people. For example, 12 acres of land is roughly what it takes to grow the food to feed the cows that is necessary for the carnivorous diet of one person. With that same amount of land, growing soy could feed like 50 people instead of 1 person with a meat based diet, and growing corn and wheat could feed 10 people. That's just a start...

What Daniel is getting at is that with the land we use to grow food for the cows that we eat, the same amount of land could be used to feed a lot more people. For example, 12 acres of land is roughly what it takes to grow the food to feed the cows that is necessary for the carnivorous diet of one person. With that same amount of land, growing soy could feed like 50 people instead of 1 person with a meat based diet, and growing corn and wheat could feed 10 people. That's just a start...
And it would be a very elegant solution, if only the problem were that we were out of ariable land...Let's steer clear of religion, politics and diet, huh?

In my 16th summer, I worked at a cannery for some summer money.Green Been and Corn season. I saw rats chopped up coming in on the conveyer belt. Once they had to break 1 1/2 pallets of cans open to find one.I've saw one worker stick a wad of gum in a can that was going into the sealer and then to the cooker.I saw some nasty stuff there, and I know that some people that work there just don't give a shit about their job, and tamper with stuff like gum in the can probably more frequently than you would like to think about.

I've got to agree with Daniel on this one. How we it curb world hunger and help the environment? Since this is a poker forum, I won't go into details. But the brief answer -- to feed cattle (and other animals) requires an inordinate amount of food and water. If those resources were not wasted on producing meat, they could be used much more efficiently on feeding the world's population (I forget the exact ratio, but the amount of resources that is necessary to produce meat that could feed 100 people could be used more efficiently on producing non-meat food products to feed 1000 people) .The meat industry is also a heavy polluter that wasts resources -- thus, the brief answer to the environment quesetion. (And meat is also a polluter of the body with all of the chemicals, steroids, etc.)

Daniel is welcome to his beliefs just as we are. Your belief is that he should stay away from certain things about his life that are important to him? Not only is that hypocritical in the sense of wanting to know and congratulating him about Lori, it is also an unproved belief you are trying to pass off.Anyhow, I'm from Texas where we eat lots of meat. I still enjoy reading Daniel's blog.

And it would be a very elegant solution, if only the problem were that we were out of ariable land...Let's steer clear of religion, politics and diet, huh?
So I take it the Buddha thing in your handle is a joke or something. I was just answering someone who didn't understand, and HE was the OP. I didn't start a post and start preaching did I?I could answer your ignorant response, but I guess I'll "steer clear" of it.
If those resources were not wasted on producing meat, they could be used much more efficiently on feeding the world's population
could be, but would probably be wasted on something else instead.There are plenty of organizations that are wasting resources besides people raising cattle. Don't flush your toilet so much.
I've got to agree with Daniel on this one. How we it curb world hunger and help the environment? Since this is a poker forum, I won't go into details. But the brief answer -- to feed cattle (and other animals) requires an inordinate amount of food and water. If those resources were not wasted on producing meat, they could be used much more efficiently on feeding the world's population (I forget the exact ratio, but the amount of resources that is necessary to produce meat that could feed 100 people could be used more efficiently on producing non-meat food products to feed 1000 people) .The meat industry is also a heavy polluter that wasts resources -- thus, the brief answer to the environment quesetion. (And meat is also a polluter of the body with all of the chemicals, steroids, etc.)
Yeah but then animals would go extinct if we didn't feed and raise them then people would be bitching about that.Also - I love the line about normal food portions. In other words I paid too much for the pathetic amount of food I received. heheh
So I take it the Buddha thing in your handle is a joke or something. I was just answering someone who didn't understand, and HE was the OP. I didn't start a post and start preaching did I?I could answer your ignorant response, but I guess I'll "steer clear" of it.
Fair enough - truce?I really don't care what you eat. BTW, the buddha thing? Its a jopke.

I remember reading a book on Vegetarianism and that's what swayed me towards it- "The land it takes to feed 1 meat eater can feed 20 vegetarians" , "A major reason why there is so much starvation in the world is due to meat eaters" etc.

Fair enough - truce?I really don't care what you eat. BTW, the buddha thing? Its a jopke.
I eat aborted fetuses. JOPKEJOKEJOKEJOPKEJOKEDONKEYS ALWAYS DRAW.
to feed cattle (and other animals) requires an inordinate amount of food and water. If those resources were not wasted on producing meat, they could be used much more efficiently on feeding the world's population (I forget the exact ratio, but the amount of resources that is necessary to produce meat that could feed 100 people could be used more efficiently on producing non-meat food products to feed 1000 people) .
This is such a huge load of manure that I have heard so many times from veggie advocates. The problem with hunger is not a shortage of resources it's a shortage of money (capitalism.)We could go on eating all the meat we want and still produce enough food in this nation to feed the entire world. Why don't we? Who is going to pay for it?If you are a vegetarian because you oppose cruelty to animals or because you believe it is healthier for you then great, both are good reasons. But please stop this "we can feed the world if we don't eat meat" crap!