Wpt Commentators

So Ive noticed over the last couple years that Mike and Vince's commentators booth will flash in the background during some shots of the table. It seems pretty close considering how loud they may be talking and how quiet the set can get during action.Im watching a Borgata episode (with Gavin Griffin) and when Lee Watkinson was all in with 77 vs 88, Mike Sexton says "If he doesnt catch a walking stick he'll be walking out of here." As soon as he said it, Lee repeated him. I also remember seeing one of the Caribbean events where they showed a shot from distance of the table and it looked like the commentator booth was literally 5 feet away.How are the players not hearing them during action, but seem to hear them during parts of the night?

Good thread.
I didn't think it was that bothersome.I would highly doubt they have access to the hole cards during play. I'm sure they just commentate on what they see on the spot and the rest of the stuff is edited in later. Anything else you may have saw or thought you saw indicating otherwise likely happened after the cards were turned over.

wow, I could not figure where they were at Niagara's this year. Cause they didn't seem to be in the same spot as the year before. Odd I didn't see them around at all actually.

I believe they just do commentary as the final table goes down but don't see then hands, so its just the general banter. Then the hand commentary is edited in afterwards. (not positive, but that's always what I've understood)Mark

I believe they just do commentary as the final table goes down but don't see then hands, so its just the general banter. Then the hand commentary is edited in afterwards. (not positive, but that's always what I've understood)Mark
This is true, during the actual ft they have NO access to hole cards....they actually have to go to the editing room one the ft is over, rewatch the whole thing with the hole cards and comment as if they were there. They actually had a segment about this during one of the broadcasts. Sounds like a big pain in the butt to me, but

I've attended a couple of FT's and rivergirl is correct.During the FT, they film the intro, the outro, general banter, and comments on hands once the cards are turned face up (i.e. - when someone goes all-in pre-flop and is called, etc...). They (the announcers) don't have access to the hole card cameras during the FT. There's only one/maybe two people that are watching those feeds and they are secluded away from the action. Occasionally, one of the producers will tell the tournament director to ask Player X to show his cards to the hole card camera, if they notice they didn't get them (or the player forgot).So, any comments you heard that mirrored something the player said (or vice versa) while cards are still face down were purely coincidental.

Actually, as a sign of the times for the WPT's circling the bowl, Mike and Vince aren't travelling at ALL with the road show. All of their work is now being done post production in the studio. So no more toasts of the champion for Sexton. And further to the discussion, not only do they not have access to the hole cards during a tourney, but Mike and Vince don't usually do the post production until well after the event is over. Like weeks later. The producers analyze the hands, decide what ones will make the broadcast, then call in the commentators to do another audio track seeing the hole cards. This is laid over their live reactions which are taped during the final table. The two are blended to make the final product you see on tv. Except now there wont be any live reaction.

Actually, as a sign of the times for the WPT's circling the bowl, Mike and Vince aren't travelling at ALL with the road show. All of their work is now being done post production in the studio. So no more toasts of the champion for Sexton. And further to the discussion, not only do they not have access to the hole cards during a tourney, but Mike and Vince don't usually do the post production until well after the event is over. Like weeks later. The producers analyze the hands, decide what ones will make the broadcast, then call in the commentators to do another audio track seeing the hole cards. This is laid over their live reactions which are taped during the final table. The two are blended to make the final product you see on tv. Except now there wont be any live reaction.
ty for the insight. Very interesting.Mark
And further to the discussion, not only do they not have access to the hole cards during a tourney, but Mike and Vince don't usually do the post production until well after the event is over. Like weeks later. The producers analyze the hands, decide what ones will make the broadcast, then call in the commentators to do another audio track seeing the hole cards. This is laid over their live reactions which are taped during the final table. The two are blended to make the final product you see on tv. Except now there wont be any live reaction.
This is what I always understood as well. It doesn't make sense for them to make commentary for 100+ hands when they're gonna air 24 of them in the 2 hour span.
don't mean to be the know-it-all-douche but wasn't this obvious?surprising how many people didn't know that. :club:
Im not retarded, I understand that there has to be some work done after the tournament was over. Just wanted to know if anyone knew exactly what was done, for nothing more than to satisfy my curiosity. Some great posts, thanks guys.