Heres the situation:UTG raises to a 1 in .10 .25 no limit and next two players call, I have pocket twos and 34 dollars so I decide to call because I could win a big pot now. Small blind folds and big blind calls. I have only been sitting at the table like 12 hands so I haven't got a real read on anyone's betting paterns or style of play.Flop Q 8 2 suits were all differentIt goes check the utg bets 3 in to a 5 dollar pot, one guy calls next folds and it up to me.I raised the minimum to 6 and everyone ended up folding. Stupid meWhat do you guys think the best play is here? A call a big raise minimum raise or what? Do you want to push the other two out or with a hand this strong go ahead and let them see a turn for cheap?How would you play it?

Let's see....3 Players are in the pot already and you decide to jump in with Ducks with more players still to act behind you.You hit your 8:1 shot on the Flop, bet it, and are unhappy that you caught no fish.What's the best way to play this hand? Fold Preflop.Otherwise, congratulate yourself on having gotten away with a bad play, and gratefully accept whatever pot you get.Dunce

Dunce's response is pretty much dead wrong. You played the hand fine. Small pp have good implied odds in multiway pots.In a 4-way pot, I would have done the same thing figuring someone had a queen and would call down. Flat calling is also a good option because it may sucker some other people along for the ride, but then you have to be careful because the turn could hit someone's inside straight draw.Steve

Let's see....3 Players are in the pot already and you decide to jump in with Ducks with more players still to act behind you.You hit your 8:1 shot on the Flop, bet it, and are unhappy that you caught no fish.What's the best way to play this hand?  Fold Preflop.Otherwise, congratulate yourself on having gotten away with a bad play, and gratefully accept whatever pot you get.Dunce
Terrible advice, you want many people in the pot when you are playing small pocket pairs, as long as you realize they are garbage if you don't improve on the flop. If it had been folded around to the OP then maybe he should think about folding but he is getting a good price on his money to try and flop a set, plus the implied odds are huge. Hitting a set is almost impossible to detect and you will often get paid off for it if someone hits top pair.On that harmless flop I smooth call since you are in position, then make a raise on the turn. But I don't mind a small raise, if someone has AQ you would have won a big pot.

It seems like you were on the button in a 6-handed game... is this correct?I would consider the result a success. Sure, you would like more money in the pot, but that isn't always going to happen. I would say, in general, you don't want to show down with your set, as it will often be beaten by a bigger set, straight, or flush (the last two being drawing hands for your opponent that beat you) -- at least often enough for it to hurt. You want to win by having it folded to you.If you call the bet and let them see the turn, what do expect to get out of it? If they hit, your screwed, likely for a pretty penny. If they don't, they probably won't call any bet you make anyway. So, I say you did the right thing -- make them put their money in the pot with less information. If anything, I might have bet more.What you are really hoping for is that somebody hit two pair and will play along with you. That's when you get rich off the set (at least for me).One different way to play this (esp. if button) is to raise a bit pre-flop. If you get checked to post-flop, bet the same amount or even a little more. This play represents top pair or top set (or flushes or straights when the board is right), so it will run people off a pot even if you don't hit. It may sound like BS, but you'll be shocked how often you will get pots this way.If you are bet to or re-raised post flop, then how to react depends on the context, imho. That's what separates good poker players and not-so-good ones. Anyway, the key to this strategy is to know when and how to get out of a hand.

Let's see....3 Players are in the pot already and you decide to jump in with Ducks with more players still to act behind you.You hit your 8:1 shot on the Flop, bet it, and are unhappy that you caught no fish.What's the best way to play this hand?  Fold Preflop.Otherwise, congratulate yourself on having gotten away with a bad play, and gratefully accept whatever pot you get.Dunce
Terrible advice, you want many people in the pot when you are playing small pocket pairs, as long as you realize they are garbage if you don't improve on the flop. If it had been folded around to the OP then maybe he should think about folding but he is getting a good price on his money to try and flop a set, plus the implied odds are huge. Hitting a set is almost impossible to detect and you will often get paid off for it if someone hits top pair.On that harmless flop I smooth call since you are in position, then make a raise on the turn. But I don't mind a small raise, if someone has AQ you would have won a big pot.
Say i smooth call the flop and turn brings another blank how big of bet should i put in to the 11 dollar pot
It seems like you were on the button in a 6-handed game... is this correct?I would consider the result a success.  Sure, you would like more money in the pot, but that isn't always going to happen. I would say, in general, you don't want to show down with your set, as it will often be beaten by a bigger set, straight, or flush (the last two being drawing hands for your opponent that beat you) -- at least often enough for it to hurt. You want to win by having it folded to you.If you call the bet and let them see the turn, what do expect to get out of it?  If they hit, your screwed, likely for a pretty penny. If they don't, they probably won't call any bet you make anyway. So, I say you did the right thing -- make them put their money in the pot with less information.  If anything, I might have bet more.What you are really hoping for is that somebody hit two pair and will play along with you.  That's when you get rich off the set (at least for me).One different way to play this (esp. if button) is to raise a bit pre-flop.  If you get checked to post-flop, bet the same amount or even a little more. This play represents top pair or top set (or flushes or straights when the board is right), so it will run people off a pot even if you don't hit. It may sound like BS, but you'll be shocked how often you will get pots this way.If you are bet to or re-raised post flop, then how to react depends on the context, imho. That's what separates good poker players and not-so-good ones. Anyway, the key to this strategy is to know when and how to get out of a hand.
I would not raise pre-flop, witht that many people in the pot chances are you are going to get reraised and have to fold them. With low pocket pairs I think you always want to see a flop as cheap as possible. I thought the OP played this pretty decent.

I wasn't complaining about not winning enough money i was complaining at the way i played i wish i would of smooth called the flop this isn't a pitty me i should have won moer money story

I wasn't complaining about not winning enough money i was complaining at the way i played i wish i would of smooth called the flop this isn't a pitty me i should have won moer money story
Huh? Why are you complaining about the way you played or how you should of smooth called? Because you didn't win enough money right!?? So in essence you were complaining about not winning enough money, and usually when someone complains they are looking for pity....You should have just left well enough alone. You are getting decent advice here from people.
You played it just fine. What you need to realize is that if the preflop raiser is betting $3 into a $5 pot, he's likely attempting to salvage a missed flop. He doesn't have anything and wants to win it right there. If you call, there's a good chance he's going to check the turn and fold to a bet. Don't be upset about how you played it - but I would've raised more on the flop to see where you're at if you do get a caller.
Say i smooth call the flop and turn brings another blank how big of bet should i put in to the 11 dollar pot
Probably about 3/4 of the pot, depends on that the next card is and how it relates to what is already on the board. If you hit another 2 of course you should smooth call again. If the turn puts a flush draw out though I want to make them pay to draw to it. If the card is a 9, T or J I'd bet about the pot because of straight draws.
3 Players are in the pot already and you decide to jump in with Ducks with more players still to act behind you.  You hit your 8:1 shot on the Flop, bet it, and are unhappy that you caught no fish.  What's the best way to play this hand? Fold Preflop.
others have said it, but this is horrid advice.low/medium pocket pairs are one of the biggest moneymakers in NL cash games. i'm guessing with 98% certainty that you haven't read super/system.i'm also guessing with 98% certainty that you're unfamiliar with the concept of implied odds, a hugely important idea in NL cash games.in deep-stack poker, i will call with 2-2 in late position anyday, even against a raise, even heads-up (especially against a loose player).
I would consider the result a success.  Sure, you would like more money in the pot, but that isn't always going to happen. I would say, in general, you don't want to show down with your set, as it will often be beaten by a bigger set, straight, or flush (the last two being drawing hands for your opponent that beat you) -- at least often enough for it to hurt. You want to win by having it folded to you.
wrong.sets are monstrous moneymakers in any hold'em game.i'm guessing with 98% certainty that you don't own pokertracker and that you don't track specific stats for specific starting hands and types of post-flop hands.sets win the biggest pots, set-over-set scenarios are extremely rare and sets are the one type of hand you want to show down confidenty--always.i'm also guessing with 98% certainty that you've never read small stakes hold 'em. in it, sets are always classified as "very strong" to "monsters". it is impossible for a set to be anything less than "very strong". lower categories include "strong", "marginal" and "poor".
One different way to play this (esp. if button) is to raise a bit pre-flop.  If you get checked to post-flop, bet the same amount or even a little more. This play represents top pair or top set (or flushes or straights when the board is right), so it will run people off a pot even if you don't hit. It may sound like BS, but you'll be shocked how often you will get pots this way.If you are bet to or re-raised post flop, then how to react depends on the context, imho. That's what separates good poker players and not-so-good ones. Anyway, the key to this strategy is to know when and how to get out of a hand.
in most correct playing styles, this is also wrong. if you're raising with 2-2 on the button in a field of limpers and expecting a good possibility that you can take the pot down on the flop, you should be raising with 9-8 suited, A-3 suited, 6-4 suited, and basically any two cards that have a chance of hitting.in multiway pots, you lose a lot of fold equity. to even think that you can represent a strong hand enough for loose players (as is evident by the pre-flop field) to fold their hands, just by raising in position, is ridiculous. if that were the case, i would be raising in the CO and on the button every round, even with 7-2 offsuit. if loose players gave the OP that much respect, he would/should be running over the table and shouldn't even post this hand.i'm guessing that this strange case of everyone folding to a min. raise was an exception and also due to the fact that the board was completely ragged and uncoordinated, signifying that no one had even a decent draw, and it was blatantly evident that the OP hit the flop in some way, while others didn't.to the OP:pre-flop: fine.flop: the board is very ragged and uncoordinated.as i said, this means that people are either drawing dead (or practically dead) to you, or that they have at best a pair. two pair is unlikely (Q-8? Q-2? 8-2?), and a set-over-set scenario is also extremely unlikely. this means that with a monster hand like a set on a completely safe board, you REALLY want to give others the chance t0 catch up to a second-best hand. since the board is also so uncoordinated, you can safely assume that people will fold to aggression, since there is no good draw present.if ever there is a scenario to slowplay, this is it. remember, take the board into account in all your hands. the big important factors that you should consider EVERY hand include the texture of the board, the pot size, the field (number and styles) and your position. those big four factors should weigh heavily in all your decisions.smooth-call the flop, and act accordingly on the turn.for example, say you smooth-call, and another queen rolls off. the original bettor bets and it folds to you. i would smooth-call here again. let him bluff again on the river, or even bet his overpair or something similar on the river. chances are, he's drawing to only three outs with Q-x or only four outs with a pocket pair higher than 2's. if he's bluffing, you're only going to make him fold by raising, whereas you can induce another bluff on the river. so, smooth-call this turn since everyone folded and the turn is relatively safe.instead, let's say a jack rolled off, putting two to a flush on the board. now the board got somewhat scarier (flush draw, straight draws). let's say the original bettor bets and gets two callers. now is the time to quit your slowplaying act. raise a good amount, maybe 2/3 the pot or so to protect your hand and give incorrect pot odds for the draws to call.finally, play the river accordingly also. the river should mostly play itself, though, especially since you're in position.aseem

Usually I think 3 into a 5 pot would be a pretty good play for a good hand. I think around 60-80% pot on a strong hand is the way to get the most money out of it.Your play here was fine, I may have called to keep in the other 2 players since there were no draws on the board, unless you were beaten on the flop there wasn't much that someone could hit to catch up.I would have seen the next card, hopefully got another bet from the Flop Better and taken the pot then.Either a call or raise is good play here however I would have gone for the call I think.With 4 people in the pot you are getting good implied odds to play with your 22, if you hit your gonna play it if not you are going to fold so you are never going to lose more than your 1 dollar.

aseem -I hope for your sake you play much more accurately than you post.First, you assume anybody played the hand correctly.Next, you make assumptions about what I have and have not read.Lastly, you make factual errors about the hand itself.Yes, 2 2 is a decent hand to see a cheap flop with. This wasn't a cheap flop. UTG brought it in for 4xBB, and there were two players ahead of him that flat-called. In addition, there was another caller behind him.All of that is supposed to indicate strength from all 4 of those hands.Now, the flop makes him a Set.Then, when UTG makes a pretty standard continuation bet, one player ahead of him also flat-calls that. More supposed strength.Then when he does the only correct thing about this whole hand, namely min-raise to see where he really is... everybody folds.Seeing cheap flop = good.Seeing 4xBB Raise and 2 flat-calls = bad.But, lucking-out will always save the day.Dunce