Vb On The Neuroscience Of Poker, Part 1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely. I just think that the neuroscience suggests that the way to get better is less about consciously learning what different "tells" mean, and more about becoming more open to resonating with other person.
OMG, just came to me. We could turn Jonas into a super poker bot!!!! Ivey, we are coming for you!!!!
Mentalism a bit?(Which I've always thought was an interesting concept for poker players)
not sure what you mean... like mentalism like psychics?
but....but what if the monkeys just sat there throwing their poop at each other?
duck?
OMG, just came to me. We could turn Jonas into a super poker bot!!!! Ivey, we are coming for you!!!!
i have no objection to being turned into a super poker bot.
not sure what you mean... like mentalism like psychics?
Mentalism is not the same thing. Plenty of them pretend to do psychic type stuff, as an act or whatever... but it's more about reading body language, but like really really good. I don't know tons of specific details, but it's nothing mystical. This sounds like it has some connection to that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentalism
Mentalism is not the same thing. Plenty of them pretend to do psychic type stuff, as an act or whatever... but it's more about reading body language, but like really really good. I don't know tons of specific details, but it's nothing mystical. This sounds like it has some connection to that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentalism
Ahh yeah I see what you mean. Those guys might just have super excellent mirror neurons, yeah.
VB, does this mean if you give me a brain scan it will make me a better poker player?
whoah. long time, no see. hope all is well with you.if a brain scan makes for a better brain, then i vote free cat scans for all the women!
whoah. long time, no see. hope all is well with you.
thank you Q, I've been well and have had a good break away from poker. I feel ready to play again. I'll see you on irc sooner than later. :club:
thank you Q, I've been well and have had a good break away from poker. I feel ready to play again. I'll see you on irc sooner than later. :club:
He's baaaaaaaaaack. Hope all is good w/you bro. merry xmas

Would read again A+++Seriously, that's a very interesting and valid point you make, as well as offering some insight on the most powerful organism in the world, the human brain.

Good read. I am wondering if people from different areas of the world would react in the same manner. My guess is not. It reminds me of an article I read where people from The U.S. and Japan (i think) were shown several pictures of facial expressions and then asked to describe them. Most people in the U.S. had the same descriptions, for example: happy, sad, angry... But when the Japanese where show the pictures they had different answers than the americans. For instance, one picture that was described by most americans as 'horror' was described by the Japanese as only 'surprised'All facial expressions are thus not universal. And I would guess that you might get into trouble mirroring someone from overseas. owise1

Good read. I am wondering if people from different areas of the world would react in the same manner. My guess is not. It reminds me of an article I read where people from The U.S. and Japan (i think) were shown several pictures of facial expressions and then asked to describe them. Most people in the U.S. had the same descriptions, for example: happy, sad, angry... But when the Japanese where show the pictures they had different answers than the americans. For instance, one picture that was described by most americans as 'horror' was described by the Japanese as only 'surprised'All facial expressions are thus not universal. And I would guess that you might get into trouble mirroring someone from overseas. owise1
Actually facial expressions are universal to some extent, although we do have an easier time recognizing the ones from our own racial group. In some famous studies in the late 1970s Paul Ekman went to Papua New Guinea to show isolated tribesmen there pictures of facial emotions from other cultures and they were able to recognize the basic emotions of fear, anger, disgust, happiness, surprise, and sadness. That said, as you point out there are some cultural differences. Japanese people tend to focus on the eyes more when looking for emotion, compared to americans who look toward the mouth, which might have to do with emotion being more controlled in japanese culture (emotion in the eyes is not as easily suppressed).

when I play live I look at several indicators, 1st the eyes, the hand movements, facial expression, breathing patterns, color changes, body movements etc. In the field were I work, when the patients can get aggressive you can often tell by looking at the eyes, and there body stance or posture. They could be talking which is also a give away but there movements is more of a give away, it often gives us a chance to get more prepared. The repetitve nature of brain allows us to often learn predictive behaviours such as what VB has been talking about so when I see changes from the patterns in there moves I become aware to what they represent thus if it's a bluff take avantage of it or if they have a good hand I fold. I try to get seat 5 so that I get a good view of everyone. That's one of the reasons I don't do well playing on the net because I am so well trained to visual cues,as to where I do well playing live. As for the cultures it is interesting cause I am noticing different give aways for the Asians they are very difficult to pick up but possible.

when I play live I look at several indicators, 1st the eyes, the hand movements, facial expression, breathing patterns, color changes, body movements etc. In the field were I work, when the patients can get aggressive you can often tell by looking at the eyes, and there body stance or posture. They could be talking which is also a give away but there movements is more of a give away, it often gives us a chance to get more prepared. The repetitve nature of brain allows us to often learn predictive behaviours such as what VB has been talking about so when I see changes from the patterns in there moves I become aware to what they represent thus if it's a bluff take avantage of it or if they have a good hand I fold. I try to get seat 5 so that I get a good view of everyone. That's one of the reasons I don't do well playing on the net because I am so well trained to visual cues,as to where I do well playing live. As for the cultures it is interesting cause I am noticing different give aways for the Asians they are very difficult to pick up but possible.
QFT - Some one should frame this and post it in their office.

I've now learnt mind-control throug the internetTY OP!#Game No : 7647420014 ***** Hand History for Game 7647420014 *****Texas Hold'em Trny:43573935 Level:4 Stakes(200/400) - Thursday, December 25, 15:24:44 ET 2008Table $100 Freeroll (1586301) Table #337 (Real Money)Seat 4 is the buttonTotal number of players : 9 Seat 4: Acekob ( 420 )Seat 2: KnacKerLV ( 3,240 )Seat 9: Qsh182 ( 2,620 )Seat 8: jkolobok ( 2,080 )Seat 1: mcargill ( 2,580 )Seat 3: nanaxy ( 14,800 )Seat 6: neuweg111 ( 1,660 )Seat 10: schumimions ( 6,940 )Seat 7: vorkuta82 ( 1,940 )Trny:43573935 Level:4 Stakes(200/400)** Dealing down cards **Dealt to Acekob [ 9c Qc ]jkolobok foldsQsh182 foldsschumimions calls [200]mcargill foldsKnacKerLV foldsnanaxy foldsAcekob raises [400]neuweg111 foldsbalukira has joined the table.Player balukira has been moved from table 370 to this tablevorkuta82 calls [200]schumimions calls [200]** Dealing Flop ** [ 8h, 6s, Ac ]vorkuta82 checksschumimions checksAcekob is all-In [20]vorkuta82 calls [20]fold dudeu'r not pot commitedschumimions folds** Dealing Turn ** [ 5d ]** Dealing River ** [ 6c ]vorkuta82 shows [ 7s, Ts ]a pair of Sixes.Acekob shows [ 9c, Qc ]a pair of Sixes with Queen kicker.Acekob wins 1,340 chips from the main pot with a pair of Sixes with Queen kicker.

• 10 months later...
Was there ever a part 2 to this? Searched but couldn't find it.
err... umm.... I have started part 2 several times and scrapped it. Now that I have a reputation to live up to I guess I will try again.

so VB just curious do actually have a B.S. in B.S.?No but really, did u go to college and if so what was your field of study, i.e. Doctorate or Masters of?And if so what University?