Taking Risks With Tableprofit

I was wondering if my thought process for cashgames on this subject is any good.When I'm up 10 or 20% I will treat this like I have a regular stack and keep playing my waiting game to hit some hands. If everything goes right and not to many weird hands happen you will usually build up to a 50% increase of your starting stack.For myself I see this as a turning point in my play. Normally you have been at the table for about an hour (unless you hit everything you play it will be shorter), you have a reasonably good grasp for the play of your opponents and their tendencies.This is the moment I will try to use this 50% "profit" to hit it big. This doesn't mean I go apeshit on the table and play any 2 cards but my range will open up big time and I will get way more aggressive in marginal situations. For instance if I have a small suited connector in position I'll usually call a small raise up to 3 bb, but if I play on my profit I will call up to 5 bb in position and hope to hit big. Not in every situation, but against desperate smallstack fish I will even risk up to 25-30 bb on a coinflip if play dictates so.When I don't hit anything or lose a rather big hand (30-40 bb's) I will go into grindmode and build up again.My question is how do you treat these kind of situations?Does this sound familiar with your play or do you practise a completely other game theory ?Discuss.Jan

For me double the max stack still isn'y enough to open up my game, but I will focus more on the other big stacks and if things are going well the small stacks are just caught in the cross fire while I try to double through.

Not in every situation, but against desperate smallstack fish I will even risk up to 25-30 bb on a coinflip if play dictates so.
this one has always threw me through a loop.in most holdem situations where you think you are flipping a coin in reality you are usually flipping a coin but when you aren't you are a 80% dog. also, i don't understand what your stack size has to do with this part. if getting 20bbs in preflop is +ev, its +ev wither you have 20bbs in front of you or 1000bbs. the rest make sense. play changes drastically depending on how deep you and your opponent are.
For me double the max stack still isn'y enough to open up my game, but I will focus more on the other big stacks and if things are going well the small stacks are just caught in the cross fire while I try to double through.
Do you mean you start your focus on the smaller stacks when you sit down and shift towards the bigger ones, once your stack is signifficantly larger than your starting stack
this one has always threw me through a loop.in most holdem situations where you think you are flipping a coin in reality you are usually flipping a coin but when you aren't you are a 80% dog. also, i don't understand what your stack size has to do with this part. if getting 20bbs in preflop is +ev, its +ev wither you have 20bbs in front of you or 1000bbs. the rest make sense. play changes drastically depending on how deep you and your opponent are.
Remember this is not a situation I consider standard but it occurs once in a while.I know that in cashgames these are no +ev situations. When I sit in I will never "gamble" but when my stack reaches a certain point I don't mind getting it all in with a small stack holding A-K when I think I'm up against a pp. If i lose I can still show a small profit on my original stack and start grinding again. Ow yeah, these actions do so much good for your table image.Does it make sense to use this profit and sometimes gamble, or would you consider it a leak I have to plug asap.
Do you mean you start your focus on the smaller stacks when you sit down and shift towards the bigger ones, once your stack is signifficantly larger than your starting stackRemember this is not a situation I consider standard but it occurs once in a while.I know that in cashgames these are no +ev situations. When I sit in I will never "gamble" but when my stack reaches a certain point I don't mind getting it all in with a small stack holding A-K when I think I'm up against a pp. If i lose I can still show a small profit on my original stack and start grinding again. Ow yeah, these actions do so much good for your table image.Does it make sense to use this profit and sometimes gamble, or would you consider it a leak I have to plug asap.
Someone needs to tell me why I do this, or at least correct my thinking and make me stop it. If I am playing with $1.00 and the villain has $0.10, and the cards are face up and he has 88 and I have AK, and he shoves, I'm calling. If I double him up and on the next hand, the identical situation happens, I shove again. And, if it happens again, I shove again.

If you're showing a profit by grinding why would you ever change your strategy?Let's say you are playing 1/2 and you start with 100BB...if in an hour, you are grinding and you are now at 125-150BB i think it would be silly to start gambling at that point, considering you just made yourself $50-$100 bucksI would probably tighten up just a shade to protect that profit... especially if you are playing for money to cash out or if you are looking to build a bankroll...

Do you mean you start your focus on the smaller stacks when you sit down and shift towards the bigger ones, once your stack is signifficantly larger than your starting stackRemember this is not a situation I consider standard but it occurs once in a while.I know that in cashgames these are no +ev situations. When I sit in I will never "gamble" but when my stack reaches a certain point I don't mind getting it all in with a small stack holding A-K when I think I'm up against a pp. If i lose I can still show a small profit on my original stack and start grinding again. Ow yeah, these actions do so much good for your table image.Does it make sense to use this profit and sometimes gamble, or would you consider it a leak I have to plug asap.
You can't play scared with your by in, if I buy in for the max and someone has 10x that I don't care it's just that he can make it too much to see the flop.Such as trolling for sets, I need implied odds of about x9 with a PP of <JJ to make it worth while, in 1-2NL if it's $15 I can't call. I'll do the same when I have the big stack by taking away implied odds from smaller stacks while playing to bust the real money and yes when my stack grows to the point where I can hurt or even bust the big stack that is who I'm playing.Small stacks are more bluffable but my bulf % is very low.Spoting the tendancy of other players and if they treat the nights winnings any different than the original buy in can be great advantage.

I think you're thinking about this kinda backwards. If you build a stack up to 150BB from 100, and you're playing against a couple shortstacks you should really be playing the same style you have been. same goes for someone with 100BB. Now if there is someone also with 150BB this is where you should open up your game a bit because you're implied odds are higher so you can set mine more or play more suited connectors IP and hope to hit a big hand. IMO you should never be "gambling" when you can play solid winning poker without gambling.

The reason this strategy is probably working for you is because you avoid tilt by playing this way.You are only losing big pots when you are up in the game which keeps your mental state still in a reasonable position to make profit.Another reason why this might be working is the image that you built up by being solid is probably giving you alot of credit in the marginal situations that you are playing.With that said though, i dont think this strategy is going to maximize your profit.IMO, you should be looking for every +ev spot that you can find regardless of your stack size.

Someone needs to tell me why I do this, or at least correct my thinking and make me stop it. If I am playing with $1.00 and the villain has $0.10, and the cards are face up and he has 88 and I have AK, and he shoves, I'm calling. If I double him up and on the next hand, the identical situation happens, I shove again. And, if it happens again, I shove again.
I don't know how to help you, but you certainly play on an unusual site. UB, perhaps?

Thans everyone for the great responses. It's good to get feedback like this.

If you're showing a profit by grinding why would you ever change your strategy?Because I like playing poker for the game and I like to try out diferent lines instead of one way to play.Let's say you are playing 1/2 and you start with 100BB...if in an hour, you are grinding and you are now at 125-150BB i think it would be silly to start gambling at that point, considering you just made yourself $50-$100 bucks I do play 1-2 and the numbers are realistic. I always try to play my best and beat the table, but winning or losing does not mean a great deal to me at this point. It would if I played to pay for some bills or w/e.
The reason this strategy is probably working for you is because you avoid tilt by playing this way.You are only losing big pots when you are up in the game which keeps your mental state still in a reasonable position to make profit.Another reason why this might be working is the image that you built up by being solid is probably giving you alot of credit in the marginal situations that you are playing.With that said though, i dont think this strategy is going to maximize your profit.IMO, you should be looking for every +ev spot that you can find regardless of your stack size.
Wow. That's a nice assumption and something I have never really thought about... but it's true in every way.Can you explain why this strategy is not going to maximise my profits? It's not like I'm afraid to put my chips in pot when I just bought in. But I do tend to play cautious in the first few rounds at the table.