Wpt Bellagio Day 3

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looshle is out, gg sir
I'm assuming you're much better connected than I am, but the WPT site isn't showing him as one of the players who busted out in the money...and they have every name there. Any idea why this is?
Yeah, I haven't really been able to pay attention to who the top internet players are for quite a while. Plus, there's too many of them to keep track of anymore anyway.I saw a guy being referred to as two different names that seemed similar enough that one of them could be his actual first name and I got rather confused.Finally, for those saying that they want to get all that money in with the set of 6's, I think you should play a few $15K buy-in events before you decide that you're so sure. Granted, I know all the theory and I know how you're supposed to play on the bubble of an MTT. But, put yourself in that spot. You're a random player, you probably don't have a huge bankroll to where the $15K doesn't mean that much to you (face it, not many people have a bankroll like that). You don't want to bubble there, no one does. And if you're saying that you personally don't care whether or not you bubble in that spot, you're either a millionaire or you're lying.
Don't know how many have read DN's smallball book but he says the right way to play is what other's consider to be weak passive - he calls it that himself in his latest blog. And rarely or never get it all in without the absolute nuts (unless short of course, but neither player was in this case).Same thing on the update link about Hellmuth, only time he had it allin was the last hand when he busted.I don't know, it seems the only time DN does not make a deep run is when he plays a big hand pf with ak, or gets it allin with 2 pair, like this time around. It's like when he makes a play like everyone endorses (including my old lord and savior Dan Harrington - in talking about the boogeyman under the bed i.e. laying down a set cuz you fear a larger set makes you an idiot) he gets busted or crippled, but if he keeps it small, like he discussed in his Day 1 blog, he goes deep.So the theme seems to be that the bubble fearing kid was the definition of weak passive, which is why all the successful tourney players are calling his play weak, and saying he does not have the stones for a 15k buyin, and the play was horrible.So I am thinking he was weak, but a true small baller would not have got it all in there either. Would be great to see what DN or Gus Hansen or Hellmuth would do. Kind of reminds me of the other thread about "The worst laydown ever" when 2 pair was laid down.Anyways, great fun reading all the to and fro on this from top players. Best part of FCP.
I have two pretty good friends who have had some had pretty good success playing deep multi day tourneys and I've picked their brains a bit in a general way since I don't really play them and they both say the same thing. They both say that one of the biggest mistakes in general that a lot of otherwise very good young online players make when playing in live deep tourneys is that they don't value staying alive nearly enough.It's not always about simple positive EV calculations and based on his hand range I should shove here thoughts.I'm not saying that the guy with the set of 6's played the hand well but some of the thought process here from online tourney players isn't surprising to me.Let's say for example the kid with the 6's can gain an extra 100K in chips on the river. Going from 350K to 450K isn't nearly as valuable as staying at 100K rather than zero.
I'm assuming you're much better connected than I am, but the WPT site isn't showing him as one of the players who busted out in the money...and they have every name there. Any idea why this is?
Scott “dorinvandy” Dorin and Justin “Looshle” Pechie (right) were late day eliminations with Dorin falling in 60th place and Pechie eliminated around 56th. Both will earn the $23,420 payout for their efforts.
Scott “dorinvandy” Dorin and Justin “Looshle” Pechie (right) were late day eliminations with Dorin falling in 60th place and Pechie eliminated around 56th. Both will earn the $23,420 payout for their efforts.
Damn, I wanted to make a Day 4 thread tomorrow and have somebody to sweat.
That blows. GG Sir. GG.
I have two pretty good friends who have had some had pretty good success playing deep multi day tourneys and I've picked their brains a bit in a general way since I don't really play them and they both say the same thing. They both say that one of the biggest mistakes in general that a lot of otherwise very good young online players make when playing in live deep tourneys is that they don't value staying alive nearly enough.It's not always about simple positive EV calculations and based on his hand range I should shove here thoughts.I'm not saying that the guy with the set of 6's played the hand well but some of the thought process here from online tourney players isn't surprising to me.Let's say for example the kid with the 6's can gain an extra 100K in chips on the river. Going from 350K to 450K isn't nearly as valuable as staying at 100K rather than zero.
TIGHT IS RIGHT!!! :icon_cool:and gg Loosh!
really good stuff here.and gg loosh
I have a feeling that the reason for this is very likely the nature of most online tournaments. In the average online tourney, the average stack is pretty shortstacked in relation to the blinds relatively early in the tournament. Hence, chip accumulation becoming paramount to keep afloat and maybe the accumulate or die idea. Basically, I think what I'm trying to say is that most online tourneys make it pretty much impossible to play small ball and hence why internet players tend to be this way. I could be completely off base though.
I have a feeling that the reason for this is very likely the nature of most online tournaments. In the average online tourney, the average stack is pretty shortstacked in relation to the blinds relatively early in the tournament. Hence, chip accumulation becoming paramount to keep afloat and maybe the accumulate or die idea. Basically, I think what I'm trying to say is that most online tourneys make it pretty much impossible to play small ball and hence why internet players tend to be this way. I could be completely off base though.
No I think you are right on base. Internet tourneys are just so damn fast compared to these that is seems like push with a positive EV, and if you bust, oh well, you are playing in 4 other tournies at the same time, so keep chugging along.I think Sklansky in his tournament poker books talks about the value of "not going broke". Great post too FCP Bob.
Totally Agree... but before i talk about that...Now that I think about it a little more.. I dont think its terrible not to c/shove river... or play it super fast but moreso because Amit's range is more often air than a real hand here seeing as how we're on the bubble, and raising river etc. usually isnt going to get you an extra 100k. If this was a limped pot its more of a case for playing it in a way to let amit hang himself seeing as how we have the board pretty crushed and unless amit has a set we're never going to get stacks in.. So there's a case for both sides now that I thought about it a little more. (AGAIN i dont know action and that makes it very difficult to analyze the hand).Anyways.. back to bob's point... I try to play online tournaments using this very philosophy, especially the higher buyin tournaments... the problem live though is that you simply cannot put in the amt. of volume you can online so staying on the safe side of your decision making (espeically deeper in tournaments) is sooo critical. Stack preservation and staying alive are soo much more important than getting a double up when you have a comfortable stack in front of you. The +ev decision is not always the correct one IMO and for those of you that dont wish to accept that.. fine... but this is the exact reason why tournaments are different from cash games.

Sigh, I lsot focus near the end of the day, didnt play my game. I had 600 at my highest got down to 500, when I called a reshove with QJ, he had AT and held. Then I'm pretty sure I spewed off like 175-180. Finally I called a 20k raise out of the sb with AQ with about 270k at 4/8k. Flop was A62 and I'm just never folding with my stack size. I was up against Nick Schulman who had a bit less than me prob around 220 and he had AK.I was down to 32k, got up to 80, and busted when my QJhh couldnt outrun 66. I'm really dissapointed in losing my focus because I felt like I played some of the best poker of my life in this tourney and have been for about a couple weeks now. I've been working hard to plug my leaks which were pretty big imo and am really beating myself up over not playing my A game for every single hand. I'm really dissappointed, but still profited about 13k in tourneys this trip.

Sigh, I lsot focus near the end of the day, didnt play my game. I had 600 at my highest got down to 500, when I called a reshove with QJ, he had AT and held. Then I'm pretty sure I spewed off like 175-180. Finally I called a 20k raise out of the sb with AQ with about 270k at 4/8k. Flop was A62 and I'm just never folding with my stack size. I was up against Nick Schulman who had a bit less than me prob around 220 and he had AK.I was down to 32k, got up to 80, and busted when my QJhh couldnt outrun 66. I'm really dissapointed in losing my focus because I felt like I played some of the best poker of my life in this tourney and have been for about a couple weeks now. I've been working hard to plug my leaks which were pretty big imo and am really beating myself up over not playing my A game for every single hand. I'm really dissappointed, but still profited about 13k in tourneys this trip.
nice work. you def need to final table a couple of these though, if for anything just to get your name in the updates.

gg looshle, nice run