And if you say you would then you are either a liar or a pussy.
This is the kind of thing that I find obnoxious. And I've known plenty of people, btw, who spent several years in med school or law school, and still manage to be arrogant and insufferable (in fact, I'd venture to say there's a positive correlation there). I'd still consider their expert opinion on a medical or legal matter to be worth more than one from a layman; but I'd also be willing to look for a second opinion or do independent research myself.
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny thing is, I'm not even really disagreeing with shipping, people that play 10 NL would know better than I would. My main issue with him was trying to tell people they are bad for playing tighter at the lower levels (and really has nothing to do with this specific hand). Other than not calling a 4 bet pre with AK, that was pretty much my only advice, issue, etc in this whole thread.
So the whole basis of the argument is that I said being tight at the low limits is bad?Strange, since I never said that.
You are REALLY out of line here imo. As far as I can see, he's done nothing in this thread to deserve the lack of disrespect that you're giving him. That disrespect isn't because of the player he is, it's because he's posting here. People don't leave the forums because solid winning players give their advice and/or tell other people that they're wrong or need to rethink their lines. People leave the forums because they don't like the environment, and the way that you are swearing and yelling and crap is not good for anyone.
I'm not doing it because I'm bored. I don't get in random arguments with people hardly ever. Christ, I never even go to Challenge or General because that's what 90% of it is. It's pointless over the internet. But I really dislike being told I'm in the wrong for trying to figure out why he thinks folding is so close, but when this guy has beaten 25 and 50 or whatever, never played 10, I'm telling him people play like garbage at 10 and folding is really weak/tight based on normal 10nler ranges, I just beat 10, but I'm supposed to give a pass to the guy who doesn't know aggression at 10nl? It seems like a double standard because people just want him to stay here and post.
I've read most of the posts in this thread. To be fair and neutral all around, Rdog hasn't said much of anything that was proclaiming his aweosmeness or anything of the sort, so I'm not sure where you're really getting that whole thing from. You're the one who's making himself look arrogant and stupid here.
.... This isn't exactly that? I don't know how you could say that this isn't a arrogant move:
Gonna go out on a limb and venture the guess that NoBBir has no clue that I have beaten higher limits for a very long time.
I don't know if there's more to this or whatever, but just reading the posts and knowing nothing else about any past situations, it looks like he's offering advice and you're the one who's taking crap personally for whatever reason.__________________________________________
Because he's being condescending for 'whatever reason.' I don't give people respect who don't return it... Is that not a fair proposition? I was respectful until I started to get treated like a 5 year old because of whatever reason.
Whether you like it or not, you need to defer to the better players. The reasons that they're better vary, but beating a limit consistently, especially a limit that is higher than the one where the hand being discussed takes place, is a mark of a good player and is a reason to listen to them. You don't have to agree with anything that they say, but when someone has as much experience as Rdog does, what he says carries a lot of weight, especially for someone like me. Just because he doesn't play $10 NL, doesn't mean he has no clue what goes on there. Poker is still poker. He even deferred early on that he doesn't play these limits, but his advice was based on play 1 or 2 limits higher.You're saying "shove cause people at $10NL are idiots" and that's fair, but we have no read. A wonderful general rule of poker is to give someone credit the 1st time they do something until you know otherwise because you'll avoid a lot of marginal and/or bad situations for yourself while you make a baseless guess and shove a bunch of chips in the pot.
And that's fine. I give people respect when they do something for the first time on me for the most part. I don't like to get into big pots with unknowns. But I also don't like to fold premiums to them. I mean, I don't think we're dumping QQ here, right? So why AKs? I'm pretty tight, but I'm not that tight. I got accused of having fancy play syndrome and then told that calling someone a nit for folding here was wrong. I certainly don't see how shoving here means I have FPS, and maybe I have the wrong definition of a nit, but I feel like it's a playful term meaning you're playing too conservatively. Instead I'm Adolf Hitler because I advocate for playing this hand more aggressively.I really value your opinion, I know you're one of the better players and the better strategists on this site. You're one of the reasons I'm a 10x better player than I was a year ago, and a year before that (so thanks for that) You were also raised like 15 minutes from my house, which is rather funny. But I think I'm being painted to villain just because this guy is more experienced, people want him to remain in Strat and has better ties to most people, so they just roll with whatever he says so not only does he not get pissed off, but he stays in this forum. I'd like him to stay too. I don't like Strat dying, but I don't really feel like being treated like a child, and I'm pretty sure anyone else he gets into with/has gotten into it with before, won't either.I guess I'll just stick to BAW. You can tell him (since I assume he has me blocked), that he can post wherever he pleases and I won't put up an argument with him anymore. I won't deprive this forum of the strat advice that helped me get better from anyone else. Being the bigger man is all I can do, I guess.
And that's fine. I give people respect when they do something for the first time on me for the most part. I don't like to get into big pots with unknowns. But I also don't like to fold premiums to them. I mean, I don't think we're dumping QQ here, right? So why AKs? I'm pretty tight, but I'm not that tight. I got accused of having fancy play syndrome and then told that calling someone a nit for folding here was wrong. I certainly don't see how shoving here means I have FPS, and maybe I have the wrong definition of a nit, but I feel like it's a playful term meaning you're playing too conservatively. Instead I'm Adolf Hitler because I advocate for playing this hand more aggressively.I really value your opinion, I know you're one of the better players and the better strategists on this site. You're one of the reasons I'm a 10x better player than I was a year ago, and a year before that (so thanks for that) You were also raised like 15 minutes from my house, which is rather funny. But I think I'm being painted to villain just because this guy is more experienced, people want him to remain in Strat and has better ties to most people, so they just roll with whatever he says so not only does he not get pissed off, but he stays in this forum. I'd like him to stay too. I don't like Strat dying, but I don't really feel like being treated like a child, and I'm pretty sure anyone else he gets into with/has gotten into it with before, won't either.I guess I'll just stick to BAW. You can tell him (since I assume he has me blocked), that he can post wherever he pleases and I won't put up an argument with him anymore. I won't deprive this forum of the strat advice that helped me get better from anyone else. Being the bigger man is all I can do, I guess.
I'm gonna post one last thing here since this is a strat forum and the threads should be filled with hand discussion and not drama, but:You're not anything in this thread because of the advice that you gave. People give right advice and wrong advice constantly. In spots like this, it's not even all that clear which one is right and which is wrong, so you can't even really be called stupid or whatever for making one play as opposed to the other.Looking over the thread, the problem is that you seemed to take some offense to Rdog's posts as if he was talking down to people who play $10NL, when I am pretty sure he was just referencing something which seems reasonable to me: On average, people playing lower stakes are not as good as their counterparts playing even just a few levels higher. This is not an insult to the lower stakes player, it's just the way that it is. The lower stakes players learn to beat those stakes and then move up, increasing the skill level at the stakes above them and leaving the stakes they left at a skill disadvantage. Because of this, most people at lower stakes aren't going to be balancing ranges and stuff, so if someone is 4 betting us, it's not because they're trying to balance their range and make us pay them off with worse hands. They are 4 betting because they like their hand. Sometimes they really like 88+ and are 4 betting that because they think it's the nuts. That's fine.I'm pretty sure this thread got out of hand when you started making what seemed like arrogant remarks towards Rdog and he chose (rightfully so or not) to get offended by those since he's the more experienced player and didn't like the tone you had taken with him. It was at that point which he started making reference to his ability to beat higher stakes and living off poker for years etc..._____________________________________Tskillz is right in most of what he posts here. I used to post in every strat thread. Part of the reason for that was I was at work and I was bored and I read all of the threads and felt inclined to reply when I had something useful to add to the thread. As I grew as a player, I stopped posting because many of the situations became fairly standard and boring to me and I didn't feel that my advice was needed in the threads where the answer was a simple "fold" or "call" or whatever. Yeah, sometimes a little explanation would've helped the OP, but it's also good that they realize pretty quickly that it's a super standard situation and their move should be automatic and then leave it up to them to figure out why it's such an automatic move.I post less in the forums now than I did when I had a job, simply because I spend less time in front of the computer with nothing to do. When I'm playing, I'm not browsing threads and stuff because my focus is elsewhere. I mean, I would post so often in NL Strat to help other people, but to also help myself. When enough of the threads got boring and repetitive for me, I decided to move on and do other stuff. I do still check the front page and post in threads, like this one, that seem to be generating good discussion.It is kind of sad that the players who used to post a lot in strat like Jordan and Myself and Snamuh have kind of migrated to the challenge thread. It's just how things go. That's where a lot of the good players are now on this forum, but most of the forum knows it too, so you know where to find us and you can always send PMs or whatever if you have a really interesting spot that you'd like to get some feedback on.I'm not saying anything along the lines of "you should be grateful when Rdog or Acid takes time out of their busy poker-playing schedule to post in a strat thread" since that just comes off as arrogant and none of us feel that way. I try to be nice. Mark is too nice. Rdog is a surly old bastard. Jordan doesn't speak English based on his typing sometimes. Mikey has no patience for people's stupidity. Deal with it. We're all good players and you should seek out and try and understand our advice just as we seek out and try to understand the advice of the players that we respect and view as our superiors in the skill department.I have disagreed with many people whom I consider to be equal to or better than me at poker. The thing is that I have tried to do it with the utmost respect to that person since I want them to be around and I want them to tell me when I'm wrong and when I'm stupid. If I disagree or don't understand, I let them know and then I listen to every single damned word they say, because they're trying to help me. They're giving me free advice to help me become a better player, and there are few places in this world where you can get such valuable stuff for free.So, please. Understand that we're here to help. We all have different personalities and dealing with those is the price of our advice. Sometimes you might feel that you're getting talked down to, and sometimes maybe you are, but since you're probably being talked down to from a player who's in a position above you, don't let it get to you. Listen to what they're saying and then use it to become a better player.
Mark, Cobalt, and I'm sure I'm missing many others have different personalities where it doesn't bother or affect them either way.
You guys can make fun of me if you want. =)Also, it got mentioned somewhat briefly, but if we're re-raising the AK here, we need a plan for if it gets 4-bet. I felt like that's one of the most valuable pieces of advice that Samoleus gave on Cash Plays: before you take an action, have a plan for how you'll handle their reaction.Speaking of early days...here was one of my early posts:http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...ic=9200&hl=
You guys can make fun of me if you want. =)Also, it got mentioned somewhat briefly, but if we're re-raising the AK here, we need a plan for if it gets 4-bet. I felt like that's one of the most valuable pieces of advice that Samoleus gave on Cash Plays: before you take an action, have a plan for how you'll handle their reaction.Speaking of early days...here was one of my early posts:http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...ic=9200&hl=
so very true
Man, I saw Cobalt had posted in this thread and I thought to myself, "Oh, I bet the dude just WENT OFF on someone; I can't wait to read it." Then I had to read his nicey-nice crap and then he linked to a post where he says he bets for information. My world is up side down.
you (RDog) know how to play poker, successfully play midstakes NLE for a living
This is where I draw the line. RDog is a noob 1/2 player, aka SMALL STAKES. Until he picks up his balls and decides not to be a BR nit, he will be playing small stakes NLHE for a living!<3 RDog
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...