Question For Religious People

The Vedas, the Upanishads, the Sutras and all the rest of it are good only for paper upon which they are written, and even then only for wiping one's ass.
Agreed. The only reason these documents have survived is because people in India rarely use paper to wipe their asses.
i don't know.i suppose there could be a de-evolution god too.
Oh, and for sure there are gods of chaos, destruction, etc. Shiva, e.g.... I think "chaos" itself was a greek god.
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No no, I provided definitions for the word god when I gave the shared, common definitions as in the dictionaries we use for the English language.You gave a vague, obscure this or that rambling about what god might possibly could be maybe you think sometimes that may sometimes change or not and stuff. =PYou've also stated you don't know what "god" is, so you didn't give a definition at all, and that's why we aren't moving forwards.
The problem that the common definition is shit because we currently as of now cannot define God, even those that believe in God and know God cannot define what God is in any observable sense. I would say that the greatest biblical/spiritual minds I know would not begin to postulate exactly what God is, because we have no possible way to quantify, we cannot comprehend that which is physically unknown. We readily except love but we cannot see it, but we believe in it an know that it can be a true thing. I have never really seen the difference.
The problem that the common definition is shit because we currently as of now cannot define God, even those that believe in God and know God cannot define what God is in any observable sense. I would say that the greatest biblical/spiritual minds I know would not begin to postulate exactly what God is, because we have no possible way to quantify, we cannot comprehend that which is physically unknown. We readily except love but we cannot see it, but we believe in it an know that it can be a true thing. I have never really seen the difference.
The warm fuzzy feeling. I know, I've heard it.I get it when I look at greased up monkeys.
The warm fuzzy feeling. I know, I've heard it.I get it when I look at greased up monkeys.
No. No fuzzy feeling. That's a fuzzy feeling. That can be quantified on some level. When I knew there is a God, I just knew. No fuzzy feeling,no harps, no joyous sounds, just knowledge, which in and of itself is pretty cold. I would say that most of my dealings with God actually lead to no fuzzy feelings whatsoever, because it generally comes with some sort of palpable price tag, some sort of work, and me being me I don't usually take to Gods ideas for me at first.
i believe this is christopher michael langan's answer:
where did you find his works? i wasn't aware that he'd finished publishing them yet. (btw, if you're reading that kinda stuff for the reasons i think you are, you should look at edgar cayce)i skimmed most of this thread, and i don't quite understand why we feel the need to impose human understandings of logic onto something that we're labeling as essentially unhuman. that seems like quite the paradigmatic logical whoopsie.
where did you find his works? i wasn't aware that he'd finished publishing them yet.
there're small interviews with him all around the internet. he is a theologian who believes in a "god."
(btw, if you're reading that kinda stuff for the reasons i think you are, you should look at edgar cayce)
will definitely check him out. ty.______________________________here is a great video as an introduction to the evolution of evolution.edit: WOW, i was only 12 min in when i posted the link. i didn't realize he'd bring celestial beings into the speech. i melt every time he says the word "game."
i skimmed most of this thread, and i don't quite understand why we feel the need to impose human understandings of logic onto something that we're labeling as essentially unhuman. that seems like quite the paradigmatic logical whoopsie.
Two problems with this:, First, most god believers do not make him inhuman at all, they humanize the hell out of him by claiming he has a personality and feelings such as love, wrath and jealousy. Second, I don't even understand what "impose human understandings of logic onto something that we are lablieng as [in]human" means. Computers are inhuman and their very "soul" is logic-based. If your meaning is "imposing human understandings of logic" on to things that are "outside" of human logic, I'd ask you exactly what these things are? How could one even conceive of something outside of human thought, which logic is a means of examining and structuring to avoid contradiction. What other instrument is there for a human to know, examine or evaluate other than thought and the a priori rules that give it continuity and validity? If you claim there is another instrument, how do you have any knowledge of this instrument when it is outside of thought? If you are simply saying that there "may" be some other instrument outside of thought, why should we care? Wouldn't that be the prime example of an instance where one should be an apathist? I'm rambling, it'd probably be better for you to just clarify what you meant for me, rather than me take wild stabs in the dark. =P
where did you find his works? i wasn't aware that he'd finished publishing them yet. (btw, if you're reading that kinda stuff for the reasons i think you are, you should look at edgar cayce)i skimmed most of this thread, and i don't quite understand why we feel the need to impose human understandings of logic onto something that we're labeling as essentially unhuman. that seems like quite the paradigmatic logical whoopsie.
You are wise beyond your years.... don't try to explain that to the simple minded who only believe "if I can't touch it...it doesn't exist" people.
You are wise beyond your years.... don't try to explain that to the simple minded who only believe "if I can't touch it...it doesn't exist" people.
you feel that checky's statement validates unquestioned belief in an intangible?
ProTip: When you agree with someone, they actually take it as an insult and assume they have done something wrong.
ProTip: When you agree with someone, they actually take it as an insult and assume they have done something wrong.
Words you should live by.I'm not sure why you take this so personally... this isn't a debate to be won or lost...it's conversation.

"i don't quite understand why we feel the need to impose human understandings of logic onto something that we're labeling as essentially unhuman."Navy... I was referring to this ^

"i don't quite understand why we feel the need to impose human understandings of logic onto something that we're labeling as essentially unhuman."Navy... I was referring to this ^
what do you think most of the bible consists of?
Words you should live by.
Ahh, the time tested "I'm rubber and you're glue" defense. You're a clever one.
I'm not sure why you take this so personally... this isn't a debate to be won or lost...it's conversation.
I'm not taking it personally, I just happen to be very direct and without false amiability. Winning or losing usually comes after an exchange of valid arguments. You're right though, this isn't a debate because you can't even get past the whole making yourself clear and making points of any meaning without contradiction part. This is you forming unexamined, fallacious, unfounded statements and asking ignorant, leading, poorly constructed questions all based on your culturally hammered fairy tale, and me pointing out how unexamined, fallacious, unfounded, ignorant, leading and poorly constructed the things dribbling off of your fingertips are.Basically, you aren't just losing, but you don't even understand how the game is played and keep trying to throw the football through the goalpost for a home run.
Ahh, the time tested "I'm rubber and you're glue" defense. You're a clever one.I'm not taking it personally, I just happen to be very direct and without false amiability. Winning or losing usually comes after an exchange of valid arguments. You're right though, this isn't a debate because you can't even get past the whole making yourself clear and making points of any meaning without contradiction. This is you forming unexamined, fallacious, unfounded statements and asking ignorant, leading, poorly constructed questions all based on your culturally hammered fairy tale, and me pointing out how unexamined, fallacious, unfounded, ignorant, leading and poorly constructed the things dribbling off of your fingertips are.Basically, you aren't just losing, but you don't even understand how the game is played and keep trying to throw the football through the goalpost for a home run.
You're a sad, angry person and I feel sorry for not only you but those who have to be around you on a daily basis.Try and be happy... find something today that makes you happy.
I'm not sure why you take this so personally...
You're a sad, angry person and I feel sorry for not only you but those who have to be around you on a daily basis.
You're hilarious.
Try and be happy... find something today that makes you happy.
What if he derives happiness from making you look foolish?
You're a sad, angry person and I feel sorry for not only you but those who have to be around you on a daily basis.
Hehe.I laugh more times a day than I can count. At this post of yours, for example. My friends and family absolutely adore being around me, and often complain I don't spend enough time with them. I am the life of just about any party I attend.You are a babbling buffoon. Let's break down this exchange.1. You make yet another baseless, stupid ass false statement based upon zero personal knowledge, experience or reasonable thought. 2. I make a statement based upon the volumes of evidence that you provide with each pitiful word you type, which can be evaluated and validated by any reasonable observer.Notice that no matter how many times you make the attempt, things do not become true or valid just because you've typed them.I am skeptical you'll ever get the hang of this.
Hehe.I laugh more times a day than I can count. At this post of yours, for example. My friends and family absolutely adore being around me, and often complain I don't spend enough time with them, and I am the life of just about any party I attend.You are a babbling buffoon. Let's break down this exchange.1. You make yet another baseless, stupid ass false statement based upon zero personal knowledge, experience or reasonable thought. 2. I make a statement based upon the volumes of evidence that you provide with each pitiful word you type, which can be evaluated and validated by any reasonable observer.Notice that no matter how many times you make the attempt, things do not become true or valid just because you've typed them.I am skeptical you'll ever get the hang of this.
This should be your bumper sticker.Good postNothing factual...but nice.Maybe you need a hobby .... find something you enjoy partake in it.
Who do you think I really am? Pray tell. And do you think I am fake only because I occasionally pick on you?
You are picking on me?I must have missed it.... I'm pretty thick skinned.
As rjk gleaned, you are on the pointy end of one of my many hobbies as we speak.
Well... there ya go then.See...wasn't that easy. I make you happy!I find joy in that.Deyanu!I shall call you..... Steve. Steve... please have a great holiday season and may all your wishes and desires be filled.Deyanu!
You are picking on me?I must have missed it.... I'm pretty thick skinned.
I just don't know why else you would make that assertion. You made it previously in a different thread. This accusation is especially amusing coming from someone who is arguably one of the all-time least successful users of fake/joke accounts.