Life With........ Ted Forrest

Yea what road was he on before poker found him? I loved how the book protrayed him btw. The opening story where he basically has his whole bankroll on the table playing 3 handed is pretty amazing.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea what road was he on before poker found him? I loved how the book protrayed him btw. The opening story where he basically has his whole bankroll on the table playing 3 handed is pretty amazing.
Then won big, stuck it in a locker and went home to bed

The running bet he did with Layne Flack was just insane, Ted's sheer determination is beyond belief.

Here's the story about Ted being pegged as the table fish at a 6 max WSOP event:http://www.thinkingpoker.net/WSOP2007TR.html

Then there was Bond, then me, then to my left a guy in his mid-20's who was getting some attention from the Pocket Fives people covering the event. Rounding out the table were two middle-aged white guys in cheap polo shirts.Stereotyping alone led me to think that these two would be the weakest players at the table, which isn’t to say they would be bad. The second guy was pretty tight and straight-forward, but the first one, whose polo read “Legends of Sports”, seemed sorta spewy. He was just a little too loose passive, limping into a lot of pots, calling raises, checking, betting too small, etc. Oh, and there was this hand: he limps UTG+1, button limps, SB completes, I check Ts7 on my BB. Flop KsQs3s. I lead 150, Legends calls, everyone else folds. Turn is an off-suit T, I check, he bets 200, I decide I could have a lot of outs and am getting a good price, so I call. River blank, I check, he shoves. Huh? Yeah, he shoves his 9K stack at this <1K pot. I turbo muck and roll my eyes at Bond.
Around this time, I notice Legends talking to some guy in a Full Tilt shirt and hat. From what I overhear of their conversation, it sounds like the guy is complimenting Legends on something he wrote. “...nice counterpoint to Ferguson’s more mechanical chapter.” Wait a damn minute. Is that... yeah. The guy I pegged for table fish is none other than world renowned poker player Ted Forrest. I must be missing something.
There was plenty of other stuff I saw Ted do sometimes that seemed bad to me, but I could give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he knows something I don’t.
It's no secret that Ted is a post flop player. He wants to try and play as many hands as possible because he feels that he can read his opponents quite well. In regard to that event, he might have been having an off day. I don't know
I don't think it was so much that, as the guy is one of those CRer guys, a good player, but extremely into that style of aggressive pre flop play who probably just doesn't respect ted's style much.
Here's the story about Ted being pegged as the table fish at a 6 max WSOP event:http://www.thinkingpoker.net/WSOP2007TR.html
I don't think it was so much that, as the guy is one of those CRer guys, a good player, but extremely into that style of aggressive pre flop play who probably just doesn't respect ted's style much.
I don't think it's that surprising at all. Most online pros think most name live pros are horrible and people say that NL isn't Ted's best game so compared to a 100 tournaments a day online pro he might seem poor at NL tourneys.
Love this thread Steve. Thanks for sharing some insight.I have a question for Ted; What profession would he be doing if there wasn't poker. This usually says alot about a person.
Something in business. Ted is invested in a ton of business ventures. He is convinced that he will make more money from business then poker. Ted and I have come up with a ton of bets regarding his success in business vs poker.........we were never able to come to legit terms. But he believes he will make more from business then poker, and I don't think that is true.
Ted is from upstate New York. I think he graduated from college and then drove across the country. In Colorado he worked as a housekeeper at a motel briefly. When he came to Vegas he dealt briefly and then just started playing poker.
I don't think it's that surprising at all. Most online pros think most name live pros are horrible and people say that NL isn't Ted's best game so compared to a 100 tournaments a day online pro he might seem poor at NL tourneys.
I've heard this before. Ted is underestimated by a lot of people. What amazes me about Ted is his success in NL tournaments in comparison to how many he has played. He doesn't play a lot of them compartively speaking. And yet he has won just about every title there is. You can't argue with success. He adapts incredibly well to all scenarios. I have a lot of respect for the guys who play 100 tournaments a day online. But it's hard to argue with the success that Ted has had. It's not a fluke by any stretch of the imagination.
great thread steve7stud. is ted the most famous player u call a friend?
I don't know. I'm friends with various people. I have no clue who is the most famous. I think fame changes year to year.
Something in business. Ted is invested in a ton of business ventures. He is convinced that he will make more money from business then poker. Ted and I have come up with a ton of bets regarding his success in business vs poker.........we were never able to come to legit terms. But he believes he will make more from business then poker, and I don't think that is true.Ted is from upstate New York. I think he graduated from college and then drove across the country. In Colorado he worked as a housekeeper at a motel briefly. When he came to Vegas he dealt briefly and then just started playing poker.I've heard this before. Ted is underestimated by a lot of people. What amazes me about Ted is his success in NL tournaments in comparison to how many he has played. He doesn't play a lot of them compartively speaking. And yet he has won just about every title there is. You can't argue with success. He adapts incredibly well to all scenarios. I have a lot of respect for the guys who play 100 tournaments a day online. But it's hard to argue with the success that Ted has had. It's not a fluke by any stretch of the imagination.I don't know. I'm friends with various people. I have no clue who is the most famous. I think fame changes year to year.
ty for the response steve7stud.
i wonder what ted forrest's Q rating is
Here is something interesting that Ted and I discovered one day.He has more topics about him online vs Phil Ivey and Larry Flynt combined. If you type in Ted Forrest you will see that.But.........here's the catch, which neither one of us figured out at the time. The first several pages were obviously about Ted Forrest the poker player. But because Ted and Forrest are such common names in real life, that is why he had so many topics/hits/whatever you call it.I almost lost a bet with someone because of this. They couldn't believe that Ted would be more popular then Phil or Larry Flynt. So instead of betting we just looked it up and I was right. But obv as u go deeper, you see why.If the bet stood, it would have been pretty heated as to who was correct.
Here is something interesting that Ted and I discovered one day.He has more topics about him online vs Phil Ivey and Larry Flynt combined. If you type in Ted Forrest you will see that.But.........here's the catch, which neither one of us figured out at the time. The first several pages were obviously about Ted Forrest the poker player. But because Ted and Forrest are such common names in real life, that is why he had so many topics/hits/whatever you call it.I almost lost a bet with someone because of this. They couldn't believe that Ted would be more popular then Phil or Larry Flynt. So instead of betting we just looked it up and I was right. But obv as u go deeper, you see why.If the bet stood, it would have been pretty heated as to who was correct.
Not if you google Ted Forrest vs Phil "The Tiger Woods of Poker" Ivey
"Ted Forrest" poker -> 42K hits"Phil Ivey" poker -> 300K hits