Life With........ Ted Forrest

I've known Ted for several years now. We played together on occasion in cash games and tournaments.About three years ago I had the opportunity to start attending the "Larry Game" as an observer. This was a form of training for me. After sitting there for countless hours, Ted and I eventually became friends.One day at the Larry Game I told Ted that I had a vision regarding an upcoming WPT tournament........Bay 101 Shooting Stars which was about 3 weeks away at the time. I explained to Ted that he was going to take 1st or 3rd. He had yet to win one of those, and he is a pretty supersticious guy.So we flew out to San Jose and I opted not to play, instead deciding to sweat Ted in the tournament. Everything was going according to plan. On the third day I became bored and decided to go to San Francisco for the day. When I came back to Bay 101 that evening Ted was short stacked, and said.......where the hell did you go, I've been hanging on by a thread here. Something like that anyway. He managed to end the day strong. Later he went on to win the tournament. Since then Ted and I have gotten to know each other pretty well. I have played with him in mix games, as well as in the Larry game. Ted is the epitome of a guy who thinks outside the box. You literally never know what is going on in his head when he is at the table. He makes some of the most unorthodox plays I have ever seen. But it usually works for him. He is the kind of person that looks at something and sees it in a completely different way then anyone else.Ted is one of the best stud players in the world. When I say stud, that includes stud8 and razz as well. His weakest games are draw games. 2-7, badugi, etc.I have often sat with Ted when he is playing stud and asked why he did certain things. Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes I disagree, and sometimes I have absolutely no clue what he is talking about.Ted's cell phone. His cell phone is his biggest enemy. He gets so many calls from random people that it serves as a distraction. I have often told Ted that if I could have his phone for a month, I would bet large sums of money that he would win at a much more rapid pace.Craps. I have shot dice with Ted quite a few times. I honestly have no idea how to play, true story......I just don't care about the game. But when I go with Ted to play he has NEVER lost. Often I will shoot for him. Things seem to work out quite well.Funny story. One day after playing craps we went to the Wynn buffet. The hostess sat us down along with another friend of ours. Ted turned to us with a straight face and said.........so do we just get our own food here? And he was completely serious.Last year we took a private jet to Bay 101. From LA to San Jose. They send out this jet for the VIP players. I was lucky to be able to get on the flight with Ted and a few other people. On the flight I sat next to Dan Harrington who is probably the most negative guy I have met. I have never played with him, and don't know him. JC says he's a great tournament player. But after listening to him for an hour, I wanted to jump off a bridge. That is NOT to say that he isn't a nice guy. I thought he was very warm and personable. But his thoughts on tournaments are pretty grimm.Ted is a genuinly nice guy, with a huge heart. He reads people incredibly well and understands poker in a way that many people never will. Daniel N once said that playing with Ted is like being in the eye of a hurricane. Prop betting. Ted LOVES to prop bet. Not in poker games regarding hands. But weight bets, athletic bets etc.One time Ted and I made a bet about how much someone weighed. It was a smallish bet. And the other guy was a friend of ours. I had 190 and over. We called the guy and he said he was 190. Ted seemed so upset with the idea of losing that I offered to just call the bet a draw. He hates to lose.That's honestly all I can think of off hand. If you have questions, feel free to ask.Hope you enjoyed.*Disclaimer: These are my personal opinions, views, and experiences.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here!Steve, has Ted ever told you stories about playing with Andy Beal?
No it's pretty funny. We talked about the fact that he sat in the game and it was initially Chip and Andy. Ted said that he was unaware that this was a "match" of sorts. So Ted and Chip argued about who would get what seat. I think Ted literally put his whole br on the line to play. I haven't read the book. Ted and I have talked about the game a couple of tmes. Nothing jumps out at me.
Steve, have you ever played with Andy Beal?
No I haven't.

Any idea why he was so churlish with Paul wasika, hu on PAD? I have always thought of him as a bit of a flake and a degenerative gambler, but also the 'perfect gent'. so his attitude was somewhat surprising.

I for one would love to hear about DH's extremely negative tournament views.
I bet he doesn't put much stock in visions.
On the flight I sat next to Dan Harrington who is probably the most negative guy I have met. I have never played with him, and don't know him. JC says he's a great tournament player. But after listening to him for an hour, I wanted to jump off a bridge. That is NOT to say that he isn't a nice guy. I thought he was very warm and personable. But his thoughts on tournaments are pretty grimm.
sorry, could you explain this a little bit?what do you mean he's a negative guy?
You ever ask his opinions on pokertraining sites and forums.
Ted and I have never talked about any training site or course except for mine. He said that he felt that for what I was teaching, it was a great value. We also talked about the idea of having a large seminar in LA where we could bring people out for a weekend to train. But it would have to be a lot of people to make it worth his while.
Any idea why he was so churlish with Paul wasika, hu on PAD? I have always thought of him as a bit of a flake and a degenerative gambler, but also the 'perfect gent'. so his attitude was somewhat surprising.
He might have been a bad mood. I remember Ted saying that Paul was literally taking forever on every hand. So it can become annoying.
good stuff, any idea how often youll update on players?
I will answer various question in each thread, and then start new ones on different players.
sorry, could you explain this a little bit?what do you mean he's a negative guy?
Without going into too much detail. Dan and I view tournaments differently. I try and stay positive. Dan is realistic in the sense that he figures he is going to lose. Simply from the mathematical standpoint alone. He has obv done quite well for himself. But his "realism" is depressing.
So Dan is a glass is half empty kind of guy?
I sat beside him once during a WPT tourny. He is not that fun to talk to. Just nice enough but probably thinks it's a pain to talk to people he doesn't know and shows it a bit.

Cool new feature.So I just got off the phone with Ted and he is going to check the thread out. He doesn't have an acct here and is not the most computer saavy guy in the world.However, he said that if there was a question that was really cool or interesting I should call him and he will answer it. I thought that was nice of him.

You've really never read the Banker the Professor and the Suicide King?
Great book... read it in a day. It's a shame Steve you have not read it. But then again, you probably know most of the people involved and have heard the stories.
Cool new feature.So I just got off the phone with Ted and he is going to check the thread out. He doesn't have an acct here and is not the most computer saavy guy in the world.However, he said that if there was a question that was really cool or interesting I should call him and he will answer it. I thought that was nice of him.
Very nice of him.Can I tell my Ted Forrest story?
Wow, now the pressures on....Think of a good question...Think of a good question...I got nothing :club:
Ted's cell phone. His cell phone is his biggest enemy. He gets so many calls from random people that it serves as a distraction. I have often told Ted that if I could have his phone for a month, I would bet large sums of money that he would win at a much more rapid pace.
So I just got off the phone with Ted
:icon_biggrin:Very nice thread btw.