"double Or Nothing Sngs On Pokerstars"

I really think grinding this is +ev in the long run. Members please use this thread to talk strategy, keep track of your records wins/losses, etc, etc.. Feel free to post the limits your playing or if its a turbo or not. Basically include anything regarding the topic title. Join me in the grind, Goodluck all!Record w/L$5.20 0-0$10.40 2-2$20.80 11-4$54 0-0*only turbos*

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've known about the double or nothing sngs for quite some time now. I just rarely see it being talked about here on the forums. Like i said in the OP i think its +ev in the long run by playing these to help build the bankroll. The reason i bring this up is that when i see a good opportunity in something, i always like to exploit its weaknessess and take advantage of it. And by grinding these sngs i think will be a great idea.LOL hope this makes sense.. it sounded ok when i was writing it.
I think the problem with them is that they are ridiculously boring. They are such easy money though.
play 20 of them that fits your roll, if you do well ask yourself was it boring and was it worth the time i put in? playing in my 4th right now....i swear its quick if you play the turbos

I think if you grind $4.40s this is a way better route to build your bankroll imo. Takes about two hours to get itm of a 4.40 and 10th-18th makes you a little more than your buyin. Idk just puttin in my .02caloha, gl all

I think if you grind $4.40s this is a way better route to build your bankroll imo. Takes about two hours to get itm of a 4.40 and 10th-18th makes you a little more than your buyin. Idk just puttin in my .02caloha, gl all
I agree 100%

Havent played on PS in a while since moving to FT but maybe ill try to grind up the little money I have left on there into a br and have a little fun in the process...we'll see how it goes...

Hey guys. I play the 109's quite often... kinda in spurts. I have found you have to be a winning 7 of 10 player in these to be profitable in the long run. The rake in these is why I say 7 of 10. obv. 6 of 10 is profitable but you will never move up in stakes nor show a decent profit margin per time spent. I have found a strategy that seems to work wonders in these as well. I have helped my brother over one months time move up three limits using proper BR mgmt. Please feel free to pm me with any questions regarding these.Fright

Hey guys. I play the 109's quite often... kinda in spurts. I have found you have to be a winning 7 of 10 player in these to be profitable in the long run. The rake in these is why I say 7 of 10. obv. 6 of 10 is profitable but you will never move up in stakes nor show a decent profit margin per time spent. I have found a strategy that seems to work wonders in these as well. I have helped my brother over one months time move up three limits using proper BR mgmt. Please feel free to pm me with any questions regarding these.Fright
tyvm fright101 for your thoughts! I'm glad someone who plays this on the norm spoke out about this. Proud to see this topic moving toward the right direction.

I'm fairly new to Pokerstars (and newly registered to FCP even though I read the forum for a long time already), but I've also played a bunch of these as a way to build my bankroll. I enjoy real tournaments more, mostly the 180 man 4.4$ but they take a long time and when I don't have that amount of free time I often play turbo double or nothing's. (turbo's are faster so less boring and less rake which makes a large diffrence for these games imo)I started on stars with only 126$ and didn't want to take any risks so started with the 1.1$'sMy plan was playing 1.1$'s untill i made 5$ profit on them and then use that to play a 5.2$ one... if that one failed I grinded the 1.1$'s again to make a new 5$ profit.that plan worked ... eventually.... as I'm now playing 5.2$ turbo's (4 at a time is what I feel comftable with currently.)I'm 191/325 in total (58.7%)and 58/99 on the 5.2$ (58.5%)which is 82.6$ profit so far. Not much for most of you here but as I started 1 month ago with a 126$ bankroll it's very welcome. Not sure yet at what point i'll try to move up to the 10$ turbo's.My current bankroll is 520$, So I made more profit with tournaments but also put more time in them so on the big question on which one would be most profitable in profit/hour statistics i have to say ..... I don't have a clue which one would be best :PWeandago.-x-x-x-x-x-Some more statistics/details for the people interested:started out 20/32 = 62.5% = 4.8$ profitthen went on a very bad run with my all-time low point at 34/71 = 47.8% or 10.1$ losssome newbie mistakes and many bad beats so I kept confidence and continued playing till 68/116 = 58.6% and 8.4$ profitplayed my first one of 5.2$ then which I lost, so I was bad to grinding the 1.1$'s. It took me till 98/170 = 57.9% before I was back at 6$ profit and could try a new 5.2$ which failed again!so grinding till 127/218 = 58.25% = 6$ profit for my third try at a 5.2$ turbo.then finally I succeeded. That took my profit to 10.8$ so I could play two 5.2$ at once.it took some tries where I won only 1 of the two... but eventually I won six in a row and i have been playing them with 4 at a time since then.

Just played 6 $5 ones...went an ugly 3 and 3...but the one thing that i noticed...people have no idea how to play these things at this level...why dont people realize that the goal is to know people out...the play when it gets down to 6 people is bruuuutttaalll and frustrating when u are nursing a shortstack and the players refuse to try and take out the other short stacks...i does work to your advantage though sometimes like the time that i had 350 chips and the blinds were 125/250 and it folded to be in the bb with 6 people left...i mean wtf??? haha

I am normally a cash game player, but from time to time lately I have been playing in double or nothing SNG's just to kill the grind for an hour or two. They are profitable but I don't think they are really the best way to make serious improvements in your bankroll. Probably smarter to play in a 9 man SNG and finish in the top 3 for a better profit if you are a SNG player. (or one of the other suggestions others have had). What I do like about them, is they are almost a different form of poker altogether (obv - a lot different from the 100NL cash games I normally play)...but also significantly different from a standard SNG. It's a change of pace for me...

...but the one thing that i noticed...people have no idea how to play these things at this level...why dont people realize that the goal is to know people out...the play when it gets down to 6 people is bruuuutttaalll and frustrating when u are nursing a shortstack and the players refuse to try and take out the other short stacks........
I beg to differ - the goal in this is not to knock out other people. The goal is to preserve your chips in this format...You should do everything possible to avoid calling an all-in and jeopardizing your chips. When you are getting down to the bubble if someone pushes in front of you don't be afraid to fold almost all your cards, and if there is already a caller in front of you pretty much fold everything....everytime there is an all-in and a caller it is +EV for everyone else at the table.It is the same strategy as tournies with a shared first prize for the top x number of people(say a ticket to another event)...This is a rare opportunity to fold A,A preflop. That's what makes it an entertaining diversion that doesn't require intense concentration for me. It's a game where I could fold A,A preflop, and I could push 8,2o preflop. I never get to do that at the cash tables.
I beg to differ - the goal in this is not to knock out other people. The goal is to preserve your chips in this format...You should do everything possible to avoid calling an all-in and jeopardizing your chips. When you are getting down to the bubble if someone pushes in front of you don't be afraid to fold almost all your cards, and if there is already a caller in front of you pretty much fold everything....everytime there is an all-in and a caller it is +EV for everyone else at the table.It is the same strategy as tournies with a shared first prize for the top x number of people(say a ticket to another event)...This is a rare opportunity to fold A,A preflop. That's what makes it an entertaining diversion that doesn't require intense concentration for me. It's a game where I could fold A,A preflop, and I could push 8,2o preflop. I never get to do that at the cash tables.
You may have misunderstood what I was saying...If your a bigger stack and have over 3000 chips there is no reason to be folding to all ins from players with under 500 chips when you are down to 6 players...your not really risking your tourney...but your trying to end the tourney which is an extra consideration that you need to factor into your ev calculation...also another thing that i saw that made no sense...when down to 6 people you shouldnt be reraising an all in to isolate the all in player to get him heads up and keep others out of the pot...call, check it down, and try to get the guy knocked out...the table needs to almost work as a team (in some instances) to knock out a player when it gets down to 6...and yes obviously your own interests come first and yes your chip stack is always the most important chip stack...
What are the main things (strategy wise) that you think makes you a profitable player 7/10 of the time? I just started playing $1.10 to build my bankroll after cashing out after summer started for school. So far I am 5/7 (2/2 in non-turbo). I know I am doing pretty well, but it is not a large enough sample size to really assess my play.
11/28Played 4 total in a forty-five minute period. Two $10.40 turbos (0-2) and Two $20.80 turbos (2-0).
11/29Played 4 total. Two $10.40 turbos (2-0) Two $20.80 turbos (3-0)Sweeped!edit: played another $20.80 and shipped it. Makes it 5-0 on the day. I'll get more in tomorrow.
What are the main things (strategy wise) that you think makes you a profitable player 7/10 of the time? I just started playing $1.10 to build my bankroll after cashing out after summer started for school. So far I am 5/7 (2/2 in non-turbo). I know I am doing pretty well, but it is not a large enough sample size to really assess my play.
Played another 4 and am now 8/11 (72%) I think that is a $3.8 profit (I played 2 non-turbos). I should have a higher percentage going forward in these $1 double or nothing now that i know that I can't do more than 4 tables at once.