What Happened To Fcp?

Oh sweet, it appears Pivvy thinks someone other than ME is a dick. Now THAT is exciting.
Diamond in the rough
You must remember, Steve started this thread. It's an OP which is pure criticism of FCP... so, if everyone agreed with him this would be post after post, page after page of dissenting voices all criticising the forum. This would make zero sense, as people would only be criticising themselves (it's their choice to come here after all). What exactly is it you want people to say here?? In fact, if you read on, Steve himself has taken a balanced approach to any criticism of his OP, and admits that maybe they're right to suggest that he doesn't contribute much these days.That is in response to the highlighted portion. The rest of your post, I agree with... and it's good to hear that you've made good friends from FCP, but you can't be immune to (constructive) criticism just because you were here before everyone else, in my opinion.
Spot on
  • Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that is part of the natural cycle of things. Several people have started here, turned pro/MM/moved to vegas, and don't spend as much time here any more. I'm sure several people who are here now will follow this path. I don't think it's indicative of a problem with the forum.It makes sense for this kind of place to be more of an entry point than an endpoint in people's poker careers. Once people get more serious about poker, they tend to develop relationships outside of the forum and cultivate those. Seems natural to me.
As usual vbnautilus is right on.I'm older than the majority of people here and have played poker for a lot longer and your interest in things poker related will ebb and flow.Also, people look at the past with nostalgic goggles on a lot of the time and the reality is never as good as you remember it being. When poker was new to a lot of people everything including FCP was all shiny and bright. Some of the things that you may have thought were eye opening profound things if you were to look at them now you might think are just standard things that have been rehashed a million times.A poker forum is what people make of it. My biggest gripe and it's something that FCP is better for than most forums is the way that new people are treated at times. If a long time poster thinks that they have some sort of ownership in the community and it's their home then they should treat new people like a houseguest and not something that should be driven away.
My biggest gripe and it's something that FCP is better for than most forums is the way that new people are treated at times. If a long time poster thinks that they have some sort of ownership in the community and it's their home then they should treat new people like a houseguest and not something that should be driven away.
Is it okay that there are a few people that have been around for a while that I want to drive away? No offense Troyomac, etc.
I usually never post in the challenge thread. I did the other day, obviously too tired when I did itI did not explain my hand well, or the question I wanted answeredso I got , answered with sacarism, others made fun of me and I got some truthWhat I expected in the thread was feedback on play if I was right, wrong, why I was , and How to play it rightBeing told that you are a bad player doesn't help build confidence of someone learningbut when they are posting in the challenge thread looking for answers, they shouldbe approached with some class or respect. Mark you have shown that class and respect. I saw 2 views of playing that handthe one as per Naked cowboy and the one as Stated by you in the PM.that's what I wanted to see, and hear, so I could learn. Sure the Jokescould come with it but to see that you are the Joke Account of FCP is getting a little too much. :club: I would like a Person to do some 1 on 1 coaching, as I had enough videoprograms for now, but the Financial part would have to be looked atSo if anyone one is interested please give me a PM
Please do not use the enter button unless you'd like to start a new paragraph. Generally a paragraph is about 3-6 sentences or so. Also, your use of commas has gotten out of control. The hand you posted in the challenge thread was just ridiculous.... you had a straight flush vs. the 2nd nut full house... it doesn't matter how you play the hand because the money is going in no matter what. There's no "strategy" to talk about here. Not trying to be a douchebag here but its just ALOT easier to take someone seriously when they are at least using decent grammar and sentence structure. Gl.
Please do not use the enter button unless you'd like to start a new paragraph. Generally a paragraph is about 3-6 sentences or so. Also, your use of commas has gotten out of control. The hand you posted in the challenge thread was just ridiculous.... you had a straight flush vs. the 2nd nut full house... it doesn't matter how you play the hand because the money is going in no matter what. There's no "strategy" to talk about here. Not trying to be a douchebag here but its just ALOT easier to take someone seriously when they are at least using decent grammar and sentence structure. Gl.
This has been talked about ad nausem in this thread and the challenge thread already, just fyi
Holy crap, I had no idea.
I forget why I quoted this.EDIT: oh yeah. it's there but it doesn't seem to work very well. I find PMing certain members is much easier.
LOL, ok the "Rdog is old" jokes got old to me about a year ago but this was a good one.
Agreed.FCP is by far, BY FAR, the best forum on the internet. I've been involved in quite a few forums over the years, and FCP is so many heads and shoulders over most that it's not funny. The poker content may not be the absolute best, but it's not terrible, especially if you know where to look. There is noise, for sure, but not nearly as much as on many other forums. The moderation is usually reasonable, fair, and unnoticed, as it should be. But most of all, the sense of community here is unmatched. Unmatched.There are people who are missed who used to post here. Perhaps FCP would be even better if they had remained. But the fact remains, this is the BEST forum, the BEST community of strangers and 'real-life' friends, who assemble on the internet.Or, at least Off Topic is.
The reason I love the challenge thread(s) is that it allows me to get to know a smaller group of people on a much more intimate level than just posting in general or strat would. I see pictures of people on their vacations, we post links of Miss South Carolina to make each other laugh, we talk some poker, we bitch about bad beats, we celebrate when people post awesome monthly graphs, etc.I doubt I would be around FCP much if it wasn't for the challenge thread. I'm not here to get better at poker, although thats certainly a byproduct. I'm here because I've developed close relationships with a bunch of friends and FCP is a place we can all come to hang out and enjoy a common interest.Mark
I know every time I see I see a Ed Hardy hat I think of your sig, and when I see Fiji water I think of Brand steakhouse. It's the connections that have been made that keep me coming here. It certainly isn't based on getting better at poker, I hit the wall years ago.
too late

I'll throw my two cents in as a resident low-limit grinder type. I love this forum, it is a resource for those of us who play casually but want to improve our ability at the same time. I believe a disconnect developed over time between those that have become professional/semi-pro players and the other chunk that play mostly for fun but still are trying to win. Many of the guys that play poker for a living know each other "in real life" (at least that is the impression I get). You have the time to really delve deep into strategy, bankroll management, higher level thinking. You meet at tournaments or cash games and get to know each other in person. I would do the same if I were you.On the other side guys like me play strictly online, I have a "real job" that commits me to 45 hours a week or so. I have been playing for nearly five years and am a lifetime winning player. However I don't have the time or money to really raise my game to another level. I'm 32 years old and I realize it's just never going to happen barring some insane WSOP satellite-to-glory run. The way I, and many others on FCP, get to enjoy the camaraderie of fellow FCPers is simply though shooting the shizzle on stupid threads, barrage/stakes threads and the like. I love a good barrage thread simply because it's fun and not for any other reason.Forums evolve and change over time, FCP surely has. No matter where we are now as players we at least have this forum in common. I look up to guys like WhatArunAA, Vick12, BKice (when he was here), Zach6668 and many more. I read your strategy discussions and watch online on the rail to pick up what I can in the time I have. It's made me a better player. I sure as hell don't have 300-500 bucks to spend on live training or cardrunners or the like, although I sure wish I did. But I'm fine with that. I guess in summary I wish all you pros the best, you have more fans than you realize. But keep in mind many of us are here as an outlet from the daily job, the kids, the significant other and not everything is going to be like it was four years ago when the game was booming and evolving. FCP is a great forum and I think we're all better poker players for being a part of it.

fwiw, i think steve making a post along the lines of "why don't people post more content" when he is the poster child for someone who has moved into a small niche of the community is hilarious. It's only fair to note that I have done the same thing to a lesser degree. It's just the natural progression of healthy forum as many people have stated. There's only so many times the same people can talk about set mining, etc.FCP launched my online poker "career", and I've learned more from here and people i've met through FCP than any other poker source. This is still my most visited website, I try to contribute where I logically can, and I proudly wear my FCP hat day in and day out. It's on its way to looking like wacokidd's baylor hat.

I'll throw my two cents in as a resident low-limit grinder type. I love this forum, it is a resource for those of us who play casually but want to improve our ability at the same time. I believe a disconnect developed over time between those that have become professional/semi-pro players and the other chunk that play mostly for fun but still are trying to win. Many of the guys that play poker for a living know each other "in real life" (at least that is the impression I get). You have the time to really delve deep into strategy, bankroll management, higher level thinking. You meet at tournaments or cash games and get to know each other in person. I would do the same if I were you.On the other side guys like me play strictly online, I have a "real job" that commits me to 45 hours a week or so. I have been playing for nearly five years and am a lifetime winning player. However I don't have the time or money to really raise my game to another level. I'm 32 years old and I realize it's just never going to happen barring some insane WSOP satellite-to-glory run. The way I, and many others on FCP, get to enjoy the camaraderie of fellow FCPers is simply though shooting the shizzle on stupid threads, barrage/stakes threads and the like. I love a good barrage thread simply because it's fun and not for any other reason.Forums evolve and change over time, FCP surely has. No matter where we are now as players we at least have this forum in common. I look up to guys like WhatArunAA, Vick12, BKice (when he was here), Zach6668 and many more. I read your strategy discussions and watch online on the rail to pick up what I can in the time I have. It's made me a better player. I sure as hell don't have 300-500 bucks to spend on live training or cardrunners or the like, although I sure wish I did. But I'm fine with that. I guess in summary I wish all you pros the best, you have more fans than you realize. But keep in mind many of us are here as an outlet from the daily job, the kids, the significant other and not everything is going to be like it was four years ago when the game was booming and evolving. FCP is a great forum and I think we're all better poker players for being a part of it.
I like what you said here a lot. Except of course the 300-500 part....kidding. Nice post. Puts things into perspective. But I would say that just because you have a job, wife, kids, etc. Does NOT mean that you can't or won't get to any level in poker that you want to.

some of the "where are they now" people went off to start their own forums, each taking a small segment of followers. (we may have one of the highest %ages of people doing that relative to overall community size.) it takes time to rebuild the ladder of success when various rungs keep vanishing. this creates content gaps.part of the replacement process is new people showing up and posting "standard", "obv", or "GTFO" type topics. people who are here do not need to urinate on them to mark the territory. we want to increase the herd size, not drive everyone out and have to resort to inbreeding. fresh blood, man. fresh blood.the challenge threads do indeed serve a purpose, and perform exceptionally. (i wish i had some sort of bot collecting every pre-edit post in the lhe one. i don't even play lhe (yet), but appreciate the level of conversation.) most areas of the forum that are in a "lull" state are awaiting one or two key posters to drive the traffic back up-- nosup4u should get mad respek for his early run in the first one, it inspired a following & a family that has grown over time.it mostly comes down to people posting the type of content they want to see. think of it like voting. if you aren't filling out a ballot, you have abstained from having a say in the results.

For someone that stays away from the limidonkeys can someone explain the "editing" that people keep talking about cause I am really confused?

^^^^^What this guy said exactly (except I just turned 38).Oh, and I would add in the 30-40 some odd FCP'ers and friends whom I met this summer at our FCP WSOP Golf/Poker Meetup Thingy in the "guys whom I look up to." At this event, I had the pleasure of meeting (and playing against) Vick12, RDog, NoSup, Zach6668, nutz, Ozium, GetSprung, CubsFan44, BalloonGuy, chrozzo, loismustdie, GoStags, navybuttons, monix, etc. etc. It was a blast then (Fiji water and one bad bluff easily sniffed out by CubsFan44 notwithstanding) and has, for me, made following these forums--in all their poker or more likely non-poker-related glory--much more the richer ever since.Trust me. Go to the FCP meetup next year and you'll never have to wonder where FCP has "gone."

weird thread...I quickly read through most of it...I don't really get it..All I'll say is that it isn't a coincidence that a lot of the really good players that have posted here (Hoosier, Chucksty, bk, etc) at one point or another said "**** it I'm never posting there again" and just left.I have too many friends here to stop posting altogether, and I hate the rest of the poker forums, but I do understand why Hoosier and them got tired of posting here.

remember that time you posted your EP opening range?
Haha, so people are posting in depth strat and then deleting it?Edit: Also, I have no idea what you are talking about.