My head is hanging low... Two weeks ago my online accounts were hovering over the $600 mark. Today I cashed out for a grand total of $32 (profit). Today was especially brutal. I know everyone's heard the story, but I feel I gotta say it again, brutal beat after brutal beat and I'm finished. Hand one I lose about $80 w/ KK versus J8 off.Hand two I lose about $65 w/ AQ w/ flop of A48 (he has pocket 4s).Hand three I lose w/ AK vs. A9 (w/ A on flop) - he catches a 9 on the river.Hand four I lose $55 w/ AA vs. KQ and flop of K94 - he catches Q on the river.I'm going to be out of the country for 10 days starting Friday and was planning on taking some time off online poker anyways, but I hoped to do it w/ a couple hundred bucks left in my account. Instead I'm flat busted and really depressed about the whole thing. I wasn't tilting, or playing hands that poorly (maybe the AQ hand above was stupid, but I think everyone has a hard time when somebody flops a set), I just feel like I got big hands busted or not paid off and didn't catch many lucky flops.

sorry to hear it. but, it almost sounds like you were playing above your bankroll. I know NL bankroll requirements are abit insane. but if so, sorry that we have another cautionary tale.anyway, you don't want to hear my crap now.

looks like you were playing NL, swings like that are very common, a few really bad situations can take your buyins away very fast, you should probably play smaller limits if 4 hands can wipe you out

It wasn't 4 hands that wiped me out, it was two weeks of constantly getting beat up when I had the best hand. At the end I may have been playing above my BR, but I was playing good hands and getting sucked out on w/ crap. Those were just 4 hands to illustrate some of the bad luck that I ran into. I could write about scores of other hands to back this up. I think I'm just a bit burned out right now, so no online cards for at least two weeks. Then I have the daunting task of building up my BR to where it once was.

I hate to sound like such a dick,
if you think you sound like a dick, you sound like a dick. Sorry, but I was just looking to comiserate.

Yeah, and it's been done before. You know I would really feel for a guy who really got burned on a certain hand. But you say this:

Hand one I lose about $80 w/ KK versus J8 off.Hand two I lose about $65 w/ AQ w/ flop of A48 (he has pocket 4s).Hand three I lose w/ AK vs. A9 (w/ A on flop) - he catches a 9 on the river.Hand four I lose $55 w/ AA vs. KQ and flop of K94 - he catches Q on the river.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Like this crap never happens to anyone else? You make it sound like the world is coming to an end. I stand by my:Cry me a river.

Well im not really agreeing with nickthekid, and i do feel bad for ya, but the beats you talk about... I've seen worse. Hitting one outers after one outers, but neway you didnt really tell us much about how the betting scheme went either, so it could've just been bad play by you as well (not that I'm saying it was).

i'm going through a spot of this in NL cash, so i've just stuck to limit the past few days--nothing can beat this though (and i only post 'cause it's actually kinda funny) :roll: 1/2 NLguy to my left has been playing quite the maniac.all fold to me when I find QQ on the button.raise it up to $8sb folds.bb makes it $20i just knew i was best and wanted to end it there, so i raised all in (approx. $200)he calls instantly, and flips over K7othe flop comes 3 3 x 3 3his K outkicks my Q and over to him goes a $400+ pot. woohoo!

to have a roll of 600, and losing that much per hand, screams that you were regularly playing above your bankroll.......quit it
I agree.. why were these hands so large with your current bankrole?/.and if the 600 wasnt your full bankrole., than only losing that much on those hands isnt that bad., it sucks., but its all about being in a rut.. you'll bounce back

Swings like this happen. They just hurt more in no limit since one suck out and wipe out your stack while in limit it might 6BB if that. I've been there before myself. I had a bankroll of 1100 at the beginning of February of this year. A combination of bad luck from suckouts like this and bad play and I was down to about $50 by the end of the month. It didn't help that I was playing WAY over my bankroll (1/2NL, 5.5 buyins is NOT enough)I've since sworn off NL and only play limit, primarily at 2/4 and 3/6. Since the beginning of March, I've turned my 1000 re-deposit into almost 5500 as of right now.Basically, if you keep plugging at it I'm sure you'll come out ahead if it truly was just a bad streak of cards, and maybe no limit isn't the best game for you. I'm doing WAY better at limit after studying up on it, primarily through the likes of smasharoo, wrto, and KDawg from here at FCP.Good luck at the tablesZarathustra

is it a lot easier to make money online when you have a bigger deposit? i always only deposit 60 but never go above 100 and then usually lose it. does anyone ever do this too? i was thinking if i had more to begin with it would be easier to win with. any comments?

is it a lot easier to make money online when you have a bigger deposit? i always only deposit 60 but never go above 100 and then usually lose it. does anyone ever do this too? i was thinking if i had more to begin with it would be easier to win with. any comments?
It depends on what you're playing with the 60. If you're within a reasonable bankroll limit, you can't be playing higher than .1/.2 for limit or .01/.02 or maybe .02/.04 NL. If you stay within this and are winning player you should be fine.If you're taking 60 and sitting down at .5/1 limit you're almost guaranteed to go broke. you just don't have enough to withstand the variance. You also may not be a winning player and need to work on how well you play.Zara

.1/.2 seems so low, isnt it hard to build a bankroll on limits that low? im sure my game need some work and i read a lot of books to work on it. overall im a tight agressive player and play pretty much only the top hands with a little blind stealing here and there.

to have a roll of 600, and losing that much per hand, screams that you were regularly playing above your bankroll.
That wasn't my whole role. I've got nearly twice that much from live play, or that I've cashed out online, the 600 was just what I had online about two weeks ago. I usually play $50 buy-in NL games w/ .25 and .50 blinds, and had racheted down a level to $25 buy-in NL games w/ .15 and .25 blinds after my downswing started. Today I was playing higher for a change of pace. You may all think I'm an idiot, but I was just sick of dudes calling pot-sized bets w/ inside straight draws (at the $25 buy in tables) and catching, so I thought I'd change levels for a change of pace. I think the two weeks off should be good for clearing my head. So much of this game is a mindset, and maybe I was already defeated between the ears when I sat down... That's what the break is for.
.1/.2 seems so low, isnt it hard to build a bankroll on limits that low? im sure my game need some work and i read a lot of books to work on it. overall im a tight agressive player and play pretty much only the top hands with a little blind stealing here and there.
If you haven't already, get Small Stakes Hold'em by David Sklansky et al. There's a reason it's called the bible of small stakes poker. Read it about a dozen times and you'll be good :wink: As for building a bankroll at that limit, it's very doable. search the forums for original experiment from smasharoo here on FCP. He started with $50 and was well on his way to getting it to $1000 on Pokerstars playing the small games. It will take a while to build a roll in this fashion but it's worth it.You risk less while trying to beat the games. There isn't much difference in skill between .1/.2 to .5/1 so once you can beat .1/.2 and the levels inbetween you can probably beat .5/1. However, you only risk enough to properly play .1/.2 ($60) as opposed to .5/1 ($300) to learn much the same things.Zara

I've been taking a real beating recently as well and I had 8 beers and decided to sit down and play, I'm up 50 BB's. Booyakasha.

I've been taking a real beating recently as well and I had 8 beers and decided to sit down and play, I'm up 50 BB's. Booyakasha.
To be blunt, let me know when you go broke from playing while you're drinking. There are VERY few people that can play good poker while drinking beer (ala Scotty Nguyen) and I doubt you're one of them.Poker and alcohol don't mix well unless you're wanting to give away your money.Zara

Yeah, bottoming out sucks, but it happens. I just bottomed out today after cashing out about $400 and leaving myself with only $100. Bad BR management I know but my car was broken into this weekend and I need to pay to get it repaired. But nothing like losing to a runner runner.

You may all think I'm an idiot, but I was just sick of dudes calling pot-sized bets w/ inside straight draws (at the $25 buy in tables) and catching, so I thought I'd change levels for a change of pace. I think the two weeks off should be good for clearing my head. So much of this game is a mindset, and maybe I was already defeated between the ears when I sat down... That's what the break is for.
I don't think you are an idiot. everyone plays above their level at times. It's a trap hard not to fall into sometimes.But someone calling an inside straight draw with a pot sized bet I will welcome them into the pot whether they hit or not. It's a profitable play to get my money in there in that situation. Change of pace is good. Sometimes I like to switch the site i'm playing on as a change of pace. Breaks are sometimes good too.

Take 2 months off. You sound pretty shredded. If you get away from the game, when you come back you'll look at the game differently. You'll pay attention more and you might plug some holes in your game.Remember it's not the best two cards but the best five. Enjoy the summer. Get outside instead of sitting in front of a computer all day.One word: Bikinis