I Am Cooking A Ham. Any Advice?

So tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I am going to cook a ham. I need some recipes advice.You may ask why is he cooking for Thanksgiving when he is in Canada, and Thanksgiving was a month ago?Well my wife is American and I thought it would be a nice idea to cook a small thanksgiving style dinner.Since we both hate turkey, i will cook a ham. There will be 5 of us eating. So how big a ham should i get? Any nice ham recipes?I know I can google, but I thought i get some personal advice as I know there are some nice cooks in here..Thanks

here is what i know. my mom uses vanilla extract (not too much) for additional flavouring, cooks it slowly (probably the whole day), always baste it to keep it from drying. once cooked, use the sauce that develops in the container for additional flavouring when eating.

cover in salt, pepper, rosemarry and honey...chop carrots, onions and mushrooms for underneath it in the pan. -put onions, mushrooms, carrots in the baking dish- put a cup of white wine and optional half a stick of butter in with the carrots etc- place ham ontop (already covered with the honey, rosemarry, salt and pepper)-cover with tin foil and slow bake it all day- in the last hour remove foil-last 15 minutes or so broil it to get some nice crackle and carmalizationremove from pan and place in a tent of tin foil for 5 minutes and allow to rest.strain the veggies at the bottom of the pan (saving what u strain) and use that liquid for a gravy.Gravysalt, pepper, paprika, dried chili peppers (begin to heat in a sauce pan)one it's boiling add a 1/2 cup of warm water with corn start mixed in. Bring back up to a boil and remove then serve

here is what i know. my mom uses vanilla extract (not too much) for additional flavouring, cooks it slowly (probably the whole day), always baste it to keep it from drying. once cooked, use the sauce that develops in the container for additional flavouring when eating.
holy crap you are still around?
so far I am hearing bake it all day..Thats a lot of work..lolbut i like the recipes.
well you could bake it on a higher heat for a shorter time...just might turn out sorta tough
holy crap you are still around?
lol, yes i am. actually, i forgot that you have cooking experience. seriously, vanilla extract makes a difference! how are things?
so far I am hearing bake it all day..Thats a lot of work..lolbut i like the recipes.
yes, ham is an all day task, just like turkey! at least 8 hours!
i should get IRA to come and cook for me..lol
even better! just make sure to set a couple of placings for when he stays after.
The reason you are hearing bake it all day is because you didn't post this in the cooking thread.If you really enjoy leather, bake it for 8 hours.
damn..there is a cooking thread..Ok I will post there too..
The reason you are hearing bake it all day is because you didn't post this in the cooking thread.If you really enjoy leather, bake it for 8 hours.
it would actually depend on the type of ham he bought.Although i will defer to you as I am no expert on thanksgiving hams

I take my ham and coat it with a rub, let the ham sit 24 hours in the frig in the rubrubbrown sugar 3/42 tablespoons mustard dry 1 tablespoon garlic power1 tablespoon onion powderchopped rosemarychopped thymechopped sweet basilcinommon 1/2 teaspoonnutmeg 1/2 teaspponchillies if you like some heatsalt pinchpepper pinchmix well coat ham place in plastic bag put in frignext day make more rub, add 1/2 pineapple juice, 1/4 honey, 2 cups of gingerale mix togetherpour over ham and bake at 325 for 4 hours, make sure ham is covered with foil last hour uncover ham turn oven up to 400, baste ham every 1/2 hour. when ham is done cover for 15 minutes then cut to servethis is great with scalloped potatoes

I just bought my ham...Its resting in the fridge until tomorrow morning..I will be cooking it for 4hours..an hour a kg

Is it a brand name. that's pretty well the recipie I gave him.
Yeah, it's kinda like a retail store. You can go in and buy the ham already cooked, so you just need to heat it up. It's really good. Coated w/ brown sugar and whatnot all over the outside.
Yeah, it's kinda like a retail store. You can go in and buy the ham already cooked, so you just need to heat it up. It's really good. Coated w/ brown sugar and mangravy all over the outside.
it'sss deeeelisssshussss.