poker tracker - useless?

Ok, I got poker tracker to give it a try and of course what I thought would be true is true... I loaded all my HH's in it. I went over to a site to see what the numbers should be, etc. BUT, is it me or is this just scaled after the "typical" poker player. I have a different kind of maniacal play. I don't plan on being tight aggressive... nor would I want to its just not my style, so I began to think is poker tracker relatively useless? Since I dont play tight aggressive -- I don't know what to model my numbers after. Is it sufficient to say, I've been playing this way ever since I played poker and have always been making money? That's the conclusion I've come up with.Poker tracker is useful if you want to become a tight aggressive player. But for players that are aggressive and/or loose, this is pure crap. The only thing useful I get out of it is anything monetary related--I'll use poker charts for that. Any comments appreciated on what I could look at the numbers for. BTW - as you can tell I'm not 1 who likes to go "by the books" on when I play and I don't plan on it because like the saying goes "if it aint broke, dont fix it."

The only thing useful I get out of it is anything monetary related--I'll use poker charts for that. Any comments appreciated on what I could look at the numbers for.
Poker tracker has vastly improved my game since I got it. You say you're a controlled maniac and so it has no use for you... Well my first question is, are you a winning player? Most maniacs aren't. If you are, ok cool, that style works for you, but poker tracker still has uses for you. It will still find leaks in your game. If you log 500, 000 hands you can then look back at the stats on every hand you play. If you always play T7s for instance (daniel's favourite hand) It will tell you if you have made money over 500k hands or lost money. IMO you should stop playing whatever hands have consistently lost you money, if over 500k hands you've lost $10, 000 playing T7s, then that is a hole in your game that you can eliminate. Maybe you've advanced past that point and don't really have any leaks in your game, but poker tracker has been most useful for me in finding the hands that I have been misplaying (AQo) and then thinking about what I need to change to turn those hands from -EV to +EV.Good luck with your game

thanks those are some good pointsand yes i am a winning player :lol:although looking at poker tracker i lose the most $ from playing the button - thats strange to me but then again if u look at it more clearly it kind of makes sense because people are more likely to believe me if i raise earlier pos than on the button... and whats also odd is that i win the most of my money playing under blinds which i heard was where everyone loses money.now that i think about it more, i may lose more money on button because i probably get check raised because people expect me to bet 70% of the time

50% of PT's usefulness is tracking your own play and the other 50% is tracking OTHERS' play. for instance, poker tracker will tell you if, in your case, you'll be able to run over a player easily or not. if you see that someone is a calling station, it will obviously be a bit harder, however if you find that the player two to your left never defends his blinds and will often fold to a bet on the river--you've got yourself a good situation. try using it that way and see what you think. dave.

I just DL'd PokerTracker a few weeks ago. I haven't fully gone through it in detail yet, but one thing immediately jumped out at me in terms of a hole in my game. I have always liked hands involving a Q but I noticed that the 2 hands that I've lose the most money with out of all the hands I routinely play are Q-10 offsuit, followed by Q-9 offsuit. Needless to say, those hands are going to be played a lot less frequently by me. I'm also behind a lot on QJ offsuit and Q-10 suited. Obviously I'm playing those hands too much and/or not playing them well when I have them and it's definitely interesting to see a stat like that. On the flipside, I've always struggled a little (like most others) on how to best play QQ, JJ, & TT, yet QQ and JJ are my 2nd and 3rd most profitable hands (behind kings) while my 1st and 2nd highest winning percentage come with QQ and TT with JJ not far behind. My sample is still relatively small (4,300 hands), but clearly I'm playing those pairs pretty well in terms of both win % and profitability which is good to see.Definitely interesting stuff...

does Pt work on its own tracking your game or does it make you plug in the numbers? does it only track real money?
You click the option for Party & Stars to save your hand histories on your hard drive and then there's a section in PT where you direct it to that location and it automatically adds the updated hands every x minutes that u tell it to check while it's open - so no, you don't have to do anything after the initial setup. Not sure about play money.

not trying to 'flame' the OP but personally I agree that Pokertracker is very useful in analyzing your game. Hey if you are a maniacal hyperaggressive player then that is fine, you have a logo and a name in pokertracker and you do have holes in your game no matter if you are a winner or not. But pokertracker will help you find your holes AND TELL YOU IF YOU ARE A TRUE WINNER OR NOT. Personally i find that most people have a very convenient memory as to if they are lifetime winners or not, and pokertracker is an in your face reminder of how well you really are playing in the long term.this is just my personal opinion but what does it really matter what PT rates you? It really is just a guide line, dont' the final numbers (bb/100) make up what counts to any poker player? Also I do not agree that you can really be maximizing your return on your hold'em game as a maniacal player in limit. Limit is a game of big cards and percentages. you can bet and raise all you want but between the fish and the quality players in limit I really do not think that the hyperaggressive nature of no-limit that can win carries over to regular ring games in limit. If you find that you are losing alot when betting from the button, what that really means to me is that the people don't respect your raises b/c of your maniacal reputation, and if you are really losing then you are playing too many hands from that position, and therefore you just probably paid for PT by tightening up there which is what you will probably do thus making you a little more of a tighter aggressive player (uh oh becoming what you did not want ot become) :)I say this in jest of course as i would tell a good friend so please don't take this as me being a jerk or something, i am still learning to use pokertracker and tighten up my game b/c i believe winning about 1.5bb/100 hands is too low for me and there are holes that can get that closer to 2-3/100.

srharris - I agree totally! Your not a jerk , your opinions are welcome. Some remarks:I forgot to mention i play NL not limit!Yes, in the end all that really matters is how much you make. Of course, theoretically there are still those 1 out of a billion that will make money by getting lucky for their whole life!

srharris - I agree totally! Your not a jerk , your opinions are welcome.  Some remarks:I forgot to mention i play NL not limit!Yes, in the end all that really matters is how much you make.  Of course, theoretically there are still those 1 out of a billion that will make money by getting lucky for their whole life!
i promise you that no one thought you played limit after reading your original post.ill leave it at that - im feeling nice today
srharris - I agree totally! Your not a jerk , your opinions are welcome.  Some remarks:I forgot to mention i play NL not limit!Yes, in the end all that really matters is how much you make.  Of course, theoretically there are still those 1 out of a billion that will make money by getting lucky for their whole life!
i promise you that no one thought you played limit after reading your original post.ill leave it at that - im feeling nice today
Also I do not agree that you can really be maximizing your return on your hold'em game as a maniacal player in limit. Limit is a game of big cards and percentages. you can bet and raise all you want but between the fish and the quality players in limit I really do not think that the hyperaggressive nature of no-limit that can win carries over to regular ring games in limit.
ggthxrem