Wanna Join The 5th Season Of High Stakes Poker ?

You really want to watch those guys on TV? In the episode I saw Galfond in he played like 1 hand the whole show. I'd definitely watch those guys play online instead of Gold and Farha, but not on TV.I hope Guy Laliberte comes back.
I'd prefer watching top quality poker between the best players in the world over Sammy Farha and Guy Lalibierte playing like monkeys anyday. It's fun for a while watching how bad they play, but it's far more interesting to see a a deep-thinking hand between galfond/Dwan/Ivey than watching Farha or Guy throw chips in the pot for no apparent reason.
There was a whole long explanation but basically he came to play the 500K buy-in show and "only" had like 700K. He got into the earlier show as the session was winding down and was really conserving himself/his roll for the 500K but then the producer thought he was too boring and didn't let him play the 500K.Essentially I think guys like Farha, Gold, Hellmuth, Laliberte are good entertainment and guys like Townsend, Dwan, Galfond, Krantz would be good poker. It's be most interesting to have a mix of course. My guess is that the players wouldn't allow it. Or at least a number of players would refuse to play if all the hands were going to be aired. But yeah I'd certainly love to see it.I've never paid to watch poker but I have to agree with this.
He wasn't playing tight because he only had 700K, he was playing like that because he thought it was the best way to play. The hands/hour is ridiculously slow on HSP so it's not fair to characterize him on one session. I don't think the players would care at all if every hand was shown, it's just that GSN or whoever don't want to run it like that.

He wasn't playing tight because he only had 700K, he was playing like that because he thought it was the best way to play. The hands/hour is ridiculously slow on HSP so it's not fair to characterize him on one session. I don't think the players would care at all if every hand was shown, it's just that GSN or whoever don't want to run it like that.He said on 2+2 the reason he played so tight was he only had 700k on him, and wanted to save it for the 500k game.

He wasn't playing tight because he only had 700K, he was playing like that because he thought it was the best way to play. The hands/hour is ridiculously slow on HSP so it's not fair to characterize him on one session. I don't think the players would care at all if every hand was shown, it's just that GSN or whoever don't want to run it like that.
What GMJ said, this is wrong.

90% of hands were straddled and a few were double straddled. That left me with ~40-80bbs effective. With that, and no one folding preflop, the game got really boring for me. I basically had to play 10% of my hands if I wanted to max my EV. Phil Hellmuth called me a nit, which is probably the most embarrassing thing that I can remember happening to me in my lifetime.

90% of hands were straddled and a few were double straddled. That left me with ~40-80bbs effective. With that, and no one folding preflop, the game got really boring for me. I basically had to play 10% of my hands if I wanted to max my EV. Phil Hellmuth called me a nit, which is probably the most embarrassing thing that I can remember happening to me in my lifetime.
It wasn't just that he played no hands it's that he was also really really boring. I don't blame him for that as he was at a table where he didn't know anybody and he was being true to his personality and not trying to be an idiot and put on a show but it doesn't change the fact that he brought zero to the show when he was on.

Again this depends on if you're looking at this as entertainment or as poker. He didn't have a lot of personality. But that's not what I'm looking for from him. I'm looking for great poker. Yeah he didn't do a lot but I think that's mostly because he wasn't at the table for very long. Yeah maybe a table full of players like Galfond/Cunningham/Ivey would be boring to watch because they're not going to talk a lot or do stupid shit like Farha is always doing but you'd see some really amazing poker.

Again this depends on if you're looking at this as entertainment or as poker. He didn't have a lot of personality. But that's not what I'm looking for from him. I'm looking for great poker. Yeah he didn't do a lot but I think that's mostly because he wasn't at the table for very long. Yeah maybe a table full of players like Galfond/Cunningham/Ivey would be boring to watch because they're not going to talk a lot or do stupid shit like Farha is always doing but you'd see some really amazing poker.
The problem for somebody like Galfond is that he has almost no recognition outside of the internet and that is a very small percentage of the people watching poker on TV. 1. He played no hands so nobody saw any poker from him let alone great poker plus if I recall he badly misplayed one hand.2. He was silent and boring.3. The vast majority of the TV audience had no clue who he was.All that added up to the producers removing him from the $500K show which is exactly what everybody in their position would have done.This year he's one year older, has more experience on TV and has had more interaction with the players who will be on HSP so I doubt he'll be quite as boring although he'll never be the life of the party.I hope he is on but as I said before the player who hasn't been a regular on the show who I want to see the most is Kenny Tran since he has some personality and in a live setting is as good as it gets.

Also to the people who don't want to see the Golds or Farhas on the show players like that make poker games and without them there aren't games. I don't think that Daniel will mind me saying that the players were quite upset when one of the High Stakes sessions didn't have any soft spots on it. Also, one of the skills in poker is learning how to use the action players and how other players react to them.

It wasn't just that he played no hands it's that he was also really really boring. I don't blame him for that as he was at a table where he didn't know anybody and he was being true to his personality and not trying to be an idiot and put on a show but it doesn't change the fact that he brought zero to the show when he was on.
I'm not disagreeing with you as I'm speaking purely from what I would want to watch and recognise that my preferences are different to the wide majority of viewers, but I think it's unfair to characterize him of just two hours of play. It was his first time on the show, he was noticeably nervous and he hardly got any time at all. IIRC Brian Townsend wasn't that talkative either when he first came on but he stayed for an episode or two and was very prominent in the English version of HSP, despite the fact he's never won any tournament fame and doesn't act like an idiot all the time. I think there probably are more viewers than we think that enjoy watching high level poker as well as people like Sammy Farha, and players like Durr BT and Galfond are very capable of producing awesome poker TV as well.

PA is usually pretty much silent, and I would have thought most viewers would want him in the game. I definitely think quiet, highly skilled can players appeal to the general viewer.

PA is usually pretty much silent, and I would have thought most viewers would want him in the game. I definitely think quiet, highly skilled can players appeal to the general viewer.
Patrik is just so sexy though.badenftpatrikwinner.jpg
I'm not disagreeing with you as I'm speaking purely from what I would want to watch and recognise that my preferences are different to the wide majority of viewers, but I think it's unfair to characterize him of just two hours of play. It was his first time on the show, he was noticeably nervous and he hardly got any time at all. IIRC Brian Townsend wasn't that talkative either when he first came on but he stayed for an episode or two and was very prominent in the English version of HSP, despite the fact he's never won any tournament fame and doesn't act like an idiot all the time. I think there probably are more viewers than we think that enjoy watching high level poker as well as people like Sammy Farha, and players like Durr BT and Galfond are very capable of producing awesome poker TV as well.
But Townsend bluffed Ivey off pocket kingsTownsend will have a spot for life because of that move.Durr is flat out creepy. If there was ever anyone that had a face for internet poker it is Durr. I think his buddy on PAD might come in a close second. Galfond I would bet would change his play now if given another chance.Give me Sammie and Eli playing guts over internet kids playing poker anyday though.With us only getting every 30th hand, there's no way to see the table dynamics that sets up the hand in question anyway, and Gabe can only read so much into the hands.Which btw, Gabe Kaplan is awesome

Did BT bluff him off KK? - i remember Brad booth getting him off KK with his bricksI'd quite like to see Durrr - esp if Hellmuth is at the table, just to highlight how bad he is really + I like the way he played on PAD cash. I still want Eli/Sammi on.

Which btw, Gabe Kaplan is awesome
QFT - he's so awesome, he's easily 50% of the show for me. It'd be so easy for them to fuck this show up with a bad commentator
but Brad Booth bluffed Ivey off pocket kingsTownsend will have a spot for life because of that move.Durr is flat out creepy. If there was ever anyone that had a face for internet poker it is Durr. I think his buddy on PAD might come in a close second. Galfond I would bet would change his play now if given another chance.Give me Sammie and Eli playing guts over internet kids playing poker anyday though.With us only getting every 30th hand, there's no way to see the table dynamics that sets up the hand in question anyway, and Gabe can only read so much into the hands.Which btw, Gabe Kaplan is awesome
fyp
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought HSP was changing networks to Fox Sports Channel. What happened with that? Either way, I upped my cable package to get HSP, and if it moves, I'll do it again. Gabe is a great commentator and I like the relaxed chatty feel of the show.I can't stand PAD. I've tried watching it, but the narration is god-awful. "Phil draws tens, but those tens wouldn't work out for him!" And all in that vaguely sing-songy voice. Meanwhile, I'm WATCHING Phil draw tens and someone else flop aces. Does the narrator think I'm blind, four years old, stoned, or all three? And then he RECAPS everything, like I didn't just watch it AND hear about it. I wish I liked it, because I'd have poker at my fingertips instead of once a week, but that commentary just makes me want to grab a gun and go Elvis on the TV.

I thought HSP was changing networks to Fox Sports Channel. What happened with that? Either way, I upped my cable package to get HSP, and if it moves, I'll do it again. Gabe is a great commentator and I like the relaxed chatty feel of the show.
You could always just watch it on pokertube or youtube the next day...

High Stakes Poker (save the OCCASIONAL WPT/PAD telecast) is the only poker on TV worth watching. The rest is just silly pop culture happenings.