Car Talk

. Try and take it to a mechanic that you have used before and talk with them .

Just realized in the 20 years of driving this is the first time I have to take a vehicle to a mechanic. I guess i was due

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

$411. The quick lube place is going good for it though. The service manager at the dealership i took it too said this place is their best customer lol, but there always good about fixing their **** up

Pickup trucks are their own category

Just realized in the 20 years of driving this is the first time I have to take a vehicle to a mechanic. I guess i was due

That is a pretty good track record.

Yikes, well whatever they did, doesn't sound like it worked. I'd try to get the shop that you took it to to contact the quick lube place directly to pay for your service Bill. That will be easier than trying to get reimbursed after the fact, as long as the shop is willing to do a little leg work for you. If it was my car, I'd just look at what it would cost to just replace the Oil pan rather than messing around with re-threading or heli-coil. It probably isn't as much as you might think. Probably in the $400 range but it might save you an engine. I doubt you'll convince the quick lube place to pay that bill though.

$411. The quick lube place is going good for it though. The service manager at the dealership i took it too said this place is their best customer lol, but there always good about fixing their **** ups.

• Like 1

My 05 Pontiac G6 GT was in a collision... sigh. Everyone's ok thankfully but I'm pretty certain it'll be written off, back axle & springs look all bent. The back tire is on a 45 degree angle to the sky. Sadly it had over 200KM on it but she ran great. I have a feeling the insurance company is going to low ball me. Time to go car searching.

Any thoughts on a cheap SUV/Crossover vehicle? We're looking to go bigger for a while and have been eying the Dodge Journey for it's 7 seats & collapsible backs. The 2009 & 2010's are pretty affordable for under 100KM on them. I believe the 2009 was the first year of the Journey, is that a risk taking a first year vehicle?

I know a couple of people who like the Hyundai suvs. They may not have a big enough model for your needs but I think they're really safe if you're gonna keep playing smash em up derby with your daily drivers.

Dodge is crap. Take one for a test drive but just pay attention to how CHEAP everything is on the interior. I got one as a rental when I was in Hawaii last year, and I couldn't believe how cheap it felt, after driving exclusively Mazda for the last few years. Hyundai, and surprisingly, Ford have taken pretty big steps forward in quality in the last 5 years, from what I've seen. Honda, Toyota, Mazda are all safe bets as well. Lots of good stuff out there now. Just avoid Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep, Kia, and Mitsubishi like the plague.

I disagree with everyone saying that Dodge is complete crap. They historically have transmission issues that they can't seem to engineer out of, but other than that, quality will vary wildly model to model. If you like the journey, definitely give it a test drive. You are smart to assume you should avoid first year production models. I would definitely have concerns about that. You are much safer going 2011 or 2012, but really you won't start seeing super high quality until 5 to 7 years after the initial run.

My dad has had Dodge 3500 diesel trucks for almost 15 years. He's on his 4th. Puts 250-300K miles on them each before he dumps them, never had any issues. I don't think anyone has built a better diesel engine than the turbo Cummings.

• 1 month later...

So I'm borrowing my parents old 2002 Pontiac Grand Am since my other car is a write off while I car shop.

Anyway, a really strange thing is happening with it. The sound of the turn signal (tick tock tick tock) is randomly happening while the car is turned on. Sometimes it's nonstop, othertimes a few tick tock tick tocks, different intervals etc. This is not while I have the turn signal on, this is just while the car is running. I'm assuming a loose wire but have you heard of this one?

The signal lights do not blink while the ticking is happening, it's just the sound itself going off. Is there a specific place I can easily look for corrosion or a problem?

Thoughts? Thanks

I don't think so hank, though we have had a couple weird smells. The tick tock literally can happen for minutes straight before stopping and when it does stop if I turn on the signal and go around the corner it rekicks and does it very quick for another minute.

What Scram said is very true. Do you have an electrical engineer friend? Mechanics are kind of terrible at diagnosing in general -it's the absolute #1 battle- but they are far far worse at electrical diagnosis.

It could also be a turn signal switch going bad. (in some cars they are near the steering column under the dash)

This is definitely a question for Beans.

So I'm borrowing my parents old 2002 Pontiac Grand Am since my other car is a write off while I car shop.

Anyway, a really strange thing is happening with it. The sound of the turn signal (tick tock tick tock) is randomly happening while the car is turned on. Sometimes it's nonstop, othertimes a few tick tock tick tocks, different intervals etc. This is not while I have the turn signal on, this is just while the car is running. I'm assuming a loose wire but have you heard of this one?

The signal lights do not blink while the ticking is happening, it's just the sound itself going off. Is there a specific place I can easily look for corrosion or a problem?

Thoughts? Thanks

Check your firing order and using low octane gas can sometimes cause this ticktock sound. Can also be an issue with a remote car starter going bad.

Anyways, hope you find out what's wrong, Good luck! :)

What Scram said is very true. Do you have an electrical engineer friend? Mechanics are kind of terrible at diagnosing in general -it's the absolute #1 battle- but they are far far worse at electrical diagnosis.

It could also be a turn signal switch going bad. (in some cars they are near the steering column under the dash)

This is definitely a question for Beans.

A mechanic can be judged by these two things:

How accessible he keeps a torque wrench and a multimeter.

Top mechanics will have them on top of the tool pile since they're always using them.

Mediocre mechanics will have them in a drawer somewhere, but accessible.

Shitty mechanics will own one, but have no idea where it is.

Run like hell from a guy who doesn't even own both.

• 1 month later...

i wish i had a bigger garage so i could go get a pre-micro chip care to tinker with and have on hand for post-emp apocalypse. oops wrong thread.