Car Talk

passenger rear door lock doesn't work (I have to push it up and down MANUALLY). Also it makes a nasty noise when locking and unlocking.Google tells me this is probably the door lock actuator.is this hard to replace?
It's definitely the actuator, and they are fairly cheap. I think mine were around $30 each for my Excursion. I didn't do it myself, so I can't help you with how hard it is, but I can post diagrams if you want. I was charged $125 to replace all FIVE in my excursion, so the labor must be super easy.
  • Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

$411. The quick lube place is going good for it though. The service manager at the dealership i took it too said this place is their best customer lol, but there always good about fixing their **** up

Pickup trucks are their own category

What kind of car do I have to buy to need to use this thread? My car is 3 years old, I drive 70 miles a day and nothing at all ever goes wrong. I want to use this thread at least once in my lifetime.

What kind of car do I have to buy to need to use this thread? My car is 3 years old, I drive 70 miles a day and nothing at all ever goes wrong. I want to use this thread at least once in my lifetime.
So you have about 50,000 miles right now?Make sure you look in your manual and see what preventative maintainence just came due. It will be in the back of the manual or in a separate manual. Some cars need a transmission or coolant flush at 50k, and you don't want to miss that, or something will go wrong later.Of course, you could just sell it before things start going wrong and screw the guy like me that only buys cars with 75k or more.

This really isn't a maintenance / car trouble question, but a cosmetic question. As mentioned previously, I have an 04 Pontiac Grand Prix GT (GT1, basic series). I recently purchased new grilles for it from gmpartsdirect.com . I've already got an email into them asking, but they failed to provide installation instructions. These are nothing fancy, just like the factory grille but painted red instead. I found some installation instructions on the interweb for the older model, 97-03, but my model is built differently and they wouldn't apply to my model.So the question is... any ideas where or who can I contact to get some installation instructions for these? I have bought stuff from PFYC.com in the past, and am thinking of hitting them up for their website for their install instructions, although unsure if they are the same ones I have. Any leads would be great. Thanks in advance.

So you have about 50,000 miles right now?Make sure you look in your manual and see what preventative maintainence just came due. It will be in the back of the manual or in a separate manual. Some cars need a transmission or coolant flush at 50k, and you don't want to miss that, or something will go wrong later.Of course, you could just sell it before things start going wrong and screw the guy like me that only buys cars with 75k or more.
I turn it in November. I then get a new car. Booo!
You paid 9K for that? Or did I read that wrong...
yes. numbers matching 440 with a 6 barrel carb and a 4 speed pistol grip and being originally plum crazy purple is very, very rare, and is a good deal, as crazy as it sounds.
It's definitely the actuator, and they are fairly cheap. I think mine were around $30 each for my Excursion. I didn't do it myself, so I can't help you with how hard it is, but I can post diagrams if you want. I was charged $125 to replace all FIVE in my excursion, so the labor must be super easy.
What do you think of the Excursion? I have been thinking of getting one.
here is a pic of her when i picked her up... this will be a long project.DSC01942.JPG
wow that's sweet!Matching numbers 440. I'm jealous!
sounds good. if I go out and buy the part I might ask for those diagrams. if not thanks anyway.
What do you think of the Excursion? I have been thinking of getting one.
It a well made vehicle. The Suburban gets significantly better gas mileage though. I think the Excursion gets 12-13/gal, and the Suburban gets 16-17/gal.I'm not close to getting rid of mine and it has 210k.The E4OD transmission is very solid. It will last me another 50-100k, and it's original.
thanks sam! its going to be a long haul, but worth it in the end. :club:
years of fun Have you looked at year one's website?
years of fun Have you looked at year one's website?
yeah, ive checked out year one's, moparts, and many more.i stripped her down yesterday, boy are my knees, back, hands, and bout everything else is very sore. :club: took over 11 hours with my best friend helping.
yes. numbers matching 440 with a 6 barrel carb and a 4 speed pistol grip and being originally plum crazy purple is very, very rare, and is a good deal, as crazy as it sounds.
Out of curiosity, why does the original color matter when, you know, it looks like that?
Out of curiosity, why does the original color matter when, you know, it looks like that?
because it's an all matching number original car and when restored to it's original rare color it will be even more valuable.
even more value. if it's restored correctly and cherry, i can get anywhere from 60-100k, depending on the muscle car economy.
because it's an all matching number original car and when restored to it's original rare color it will be even more valuable.
yep. :)it took over 17 hours to get the engine out... :/ my knee is KILLING me. well worth it. :club:
even more value. if it's restored correctly and cherry, i can get anywhere from 60-100k, depending on the muscle car economy.
I think his point is that it seems silly for the color to make a difference when it's done in the 21st century, even if it's the same color as the original. If it's not the same paint that was on the car when it left the factory, who cares if it's the same color. Why should your paint job, that (for the sake of argument) might cost $3k raise the value of the car by $10k when it's all said and done. Same goes for any part, really. Once a car looks like yours does at the moment, why would anything done to it after matter, as you're basically building a car from scratch using that frame.I ended those sentences with periods instead of question marks because I'm not really asking, as I'm much more...something...than JoeyJoJo, and already know the answers. I was just clarifying his position. Then again, I had a '72 Camaro for barely over a year, only restored the interior, and basically just broke even, so what do I know. Again, not a question.
I think his point is that it seems silly for the color to make a difference when it's done in the 21st century, even if it's the same color as the original. If it's not the same paint that was on the car when it left the factory, who cares if it's the same color. Why should your paint job, that (for the sake of argument) might cost $3k raise the value of the car by $10k when it's all said and done. Same goes for any part, really. Once a car looks like yours does at the moment, why would anything done to it after matter, as you're basically building a car from scratch using that frame.I ended those sentences with periods instead of question marks because I'm not really asking, as I'm much more...something...than JoeyJoJo, and already know the answers. I was just clarifying his position. Then again, I had a '72 Camaro for barely over a year, only restored the interior, and basically just broke even, so what do I know. Again, not a question.
i know exactly what you mean, but die hard muscle car nuts (with $$$ to burn), will pass over a numbers matching car with the wrong paint color, or if anything isn't original. i talked to dodge, and they do provide the old styles of paint, but it's pricey. ive restored 6 cars in the past 10 years. its tough, but if you can make the car as original as possible, you will see a very nice ROI. 67 Mustang fastback, 66 GTO, 71 Cuda, 69 Charger, 1970 Camaro SS, and a 56 Bel Air (which was the toughest of them all). the 71 Cuda was numbers matching, everything was there. it was my friends car and he insisted painting it red because he liked it instead over the original color (F8 blue, baby blue) and it cost him at least 10k when he sold it, if not more. I've made a profit off all six, and i want this to be my best resto yet. we already stripped everything and rotisseried the frame yesterday.

Recent craig's list listing:

OK, let me start off by saying this Xterra is only available for purchase by the manliest of men (or women) . My friend, if it was possible for a vehicle to sprout chest hair and a five o'clock shadow, this Nissan would look like Tom Selleck . It is just that manly .It was never intended to drive to the mall so you can pick up that adorable shirt at Abercrombie & Fitch that you had your eye on . It wasn't meant to transport you to yoga class or Linens & Things . No, that's what your Prius is for . If that's the kind of car you're looking for, then just do us all a favor and stop reading right now . I mean it . Just stop .This car was engineered by 3rd degree ninja super-warriors in the highest mountains of Japan to serve the needs of the man that cheats death on a daily basis . They didn't even consider superfluous nancy boy amenities like navigation systems (real men don't get lost), heated leather seats (a real man doesn't let anything warm his butt), or On Star (real men don't even know what On Star is) .No, this brute comes with the things us testosterone-fueled super action junkies need . It has a 265 HP engine to outrun the cops . It's got special blood/gore resistant upholstery . It even has a first-aid kit in the back . You know what the first aid kit has in it? A pint of whiskey, a stitch-your-own-wound kit and a hunk of leather to bite down on when you're operating on yourself . The Xterra also has an automatic transmission so if you're being chased by Libyan terrorists, you'll still be able to shoot your machine gun out the window and drive at the same time . It's saved my bacon more than once .It has room for you and the four hotties you picked up on the way to the gym to blast your pecs and hammer your glutes . There's a tow hitch to pull your 50 caliber anti-Taliban, self cooling machine gun . I also just put in a new windshield to replace the one that got shot out by The Man .My price on this bad boy is an incredibly low $12,900, but I'll entertain reasonable offers . And by reasonable, I mean don't walk up and tell me you'll give me $5,000 for it . That's liable to earn you a Burmese-roundhouse-sphincter-kick with a follow up three fingered eye-jab . Would it hurt? Hell yeah . Let's just say you won't be the prettiest guy at the Coldplay concert anymore .There's only 69,000 miles on this four-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass . Trust me, it will outlive you and the offspring that will carry your name . It will live on as a monument to your machismo .Now, go look in the mirror and tell me what you see . If it's a rugged, no holds barred, super brute he-man macho Chuck Norris stunt double, then contact me . I might be out hang-gliding or BASE jumping or just chilling with my ladies, but I'll get back to you . And when I do, we'll talk about a price over a nice glass of Schmidt while we listen to Johnny Cash .To sweeten the deal a little, I'm throwing in this pair of MC Hammer pants for the man with rippling quads that can't fit into regular pants . Yeah, you heard me . FREE MC Hammer pants .Rock on .
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Dear Brvheart (or whoever),My girlfriend has a 2000 CR-V. Last night, when leaving the grocery store, she had some trouble shifting gears, but made it home ok. This morning the car started fine, but she was unable to shift gears at all. Obviously the clutch is going down ok, since she was able to turn the car on, but she said it does feel a little loose, whatever that means. She, after some cursory research, seems to think it may be an issue with the clutch fluid. She purchased the car a few months ago and hasn't had anything looked at since. Is the clutch fluid thing a possibility, and something I could try to replace/fix? Or should this just go to a mechanic?Thanks for any ideas. Speedz